Topic progress bar incorrect, out of sync, or posts not loading

• Bug: I replied to a post in another topic. I had read to the end of the topic before replying to an earlier post, so when I was done with the reply I scrolled up to read the few new posts that had appeared. Since it is a very active topic, I scrolled to the top of the loaded posts before reaching the desired point in the topic. However, AJAX failed to load the next (previous) chunk of posts when the scrollbar reached the top of its range.
    Expectation: If we're stuck with infiniscrolling, at least it should work.

• Bug: Infinite scrolling sometimes doesn't work.
    Actual: This is the second time I've noticed this. (I may have reported it before, but this time I have an actual screen shot.) I scroll to the top/bottom (bottom, in this case) of the loaded posts. AJAX fails to fetch the next chunk.
    There are obviously 11 more posts following this one, but the scrollbar is stuck at the bottom, and I can't get to the not-yet-loaded next post.
    Expected: If we have to be stuck with infinite scrolling, at least it should work. The next chunk of posts should be loaded, and the scrollbar should* jump to some random place near the middle of its range.

*No it really shouldn't, but that's the expected behavior with infinite scrolling.

• Ok, new bug:

Bug: Open a new thread, and the progress-indicator/sausage/crappy-scrollbar-replacement says that I'm at post 4 of 4, with the entire progress-indicator/sausage/crappy-scrollbar-replacement colored green (see below).
    Expected Behavior: Since I just opened a thread I'd never been to, and I can determine I'm at the top of the thread, it should say "1 of 4", with the appropriate coloring.

• @codinghorror, @sam:

Ok, the progress indicator thingy is busted. I just posted at the end of the topic, and scrolled down to the suggested topics. Here's what I got:

Then I scroll up to my post and scroll back down and the indicator is suddenly reading correctly:

FYI, I have the "Don't take me to my post" setting turned on.

Bug: When responding to the last post in a topic, the progress indicator screws up and shows that you have read no posts. To fix, you must scroll up to see previous posts.
    Expected: The Progress indicator should reflect reality without additional user input.

• The baneling bar is off-by-one. Or two.
    As decribed here:

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/bonecrusher-loves-his-cat-food/436/43?u=dhromed

And repro'd by yours truly, on my portrait-oriented screen of 1600px high. I hand-counted the posts visible on my monitor. I used my finger to point at them so I know it's accurate.

• Banned

@dhromed that is indeed a confirmed bug with replies; the replies don't respect the visible post count and will count deleted posts even if you're not staff and shouldn't know about / see deleted posts.

@abarker I cannot repro your case of posting at the end of the topic with the "don't take me to my post". When I test this on try.discourse.org it works fine and I don't see any problems with the progress bar being incorrect.

@HardwareGeek I suspect you caught older versions of Discourse or versions in the middle of updates? I have yet to see scrolling fail to load more posts at the top or bottom. Are you still seeing this? Can you provide repro steps?

• Banned

@abarker said:

Open a new thread, and the progress-indicator/sausage/crappy-scrollbar-replacement says that I'm at post 4 of 4, with the entire progress-indicator/sausage/crappy-scrollbar-replacement colored green (see below).

@sam this is definitely a 100% legit bug, the topic progress bar seems to have massive "slack area" on that topic; it's detecting posts far under what it should be as the current post on the bottom of the browser. Try opening it yourself: http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/c-service-scheduling/415 and note what post the topic progress bar says you're on.

• @codinghorror said:

@HardwareGeek I suspect you caught older versions of Discourse or versions in the middle of updates? I have yet to see scrolling fail to load more posts at the top or bottom. Are you still seeing this? Can you provide repro steps?

Unfortunately, no steps to repro. It's one of those randomly intermittent things, and fairly rare. I've only seen it a couple of times. Reloading the page thread topic document fixes it.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Lol @ "so much better than a scroll bar"

• @codinghorror said:

I cannot repro your case of posting at the end of the topic with the "don't take me to my post". When I test this on try.discourse.org it works fine and I don't see any problems with the progress bar being incorrect.

I've been able to do it pretty consistently in Chrome 35 on Windows 7, if that helps. It seems to happen mainly when the topic suggestions are partly visibly pre-posting.

• Banned

Were posts split off from that topic?

• I found another instance of incorrect progress bar status when opening a thread I hadn't been to before. When trying to duplicate the bug in Progress Box doesn't update after window's size changed, I opened the topic linked by @c__. When the page opened, I got this (no window re-sizing necessary):

Looking at the screen, only three posts were visible. If I maximized the window, then the fourth post would just barely be visible, but the progress indicator should be based on what is actually visible, not what your screen can make visible.

Bug: Progress indicator seems to be tied to total screen size.
    Expected: Progress indicator should be connected to what is actually visible on the screen.

BTW: This is in Chrome 35 on Windows 7.

Sample topic for repro here.

• Banned

Nice repro, will get it fixed, really odd.

• Banned

@codinghorror said:

that is indeed a confirmed bug with replies; the replies don't respect the visible post count and will count deleted posts even if you're not staff and shouldn't know about / see deleted posts.

This should now be fixed, courtesy of @sam. Posting a new reply will no longer show the count of total posts including deleted posts. So no more 15 of 10 nonsense at last.

Also, the progress bar now docks on top of the composer so it is visible while you are reading the topic, e.g. like so:

(it does take a scroll to get it to happen, which @zogstrip is working on, but this is way better than the "not visible at all" we had before.)

We had this issue since project launch in Feb 13 so it feels good to finally get it resolved.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@codinghorror said:

It can't be bleat.

• Banned

Also, for an added bonus admins can now really mess with you by deleting and recovering posts in a topic (since the deleted stuff is removed "live" from the stream and "recovered" stuff re-inserted into it.)

• Banned

Progress bar now shows properly docked and undocked along with editor expansion / contraction.

(protip, esc will cause the editor to contract, if you want it to.)

• Considered Harmful

@codinghorror said:

(protip, esc will cause the editor to contract, if you want it to.)

Bug report: I pressed esc and it caused the editor to contract, but I didn't want it to.

Filed under: We are Siamese if you please. We are Siamese if you don't please.

• Banned

@error said:

Bug report: I pressed esc and it caused the editor to contract, but I didn't want it to.

Did you try rebooting your computer?

• Considered Harmful

@sam said:

Did you try rebooting your computer?

My computer isn't on, so I can't reboot.

Filed under: It's not plugged in, either.

• @error said:

My computer isn't on, so I can't reboot.

Did you try turning it on, then off again?

• BINNED

No, that is the power button for the monitor. Try using the button on the big box. No problem, glad I could help.

• Banned