Why can't I log in with my long name?



  • I count this as a bug: I can't login using the long username*; it only lets me log in with the email address.

    I didn't try the short username, because I stubbornly deny the existence of that limited form.

    *Or perhaps it's randomizing my password; I don't know...


  • Banned

    @too_many_userna said:

    long username*

    The long name is not system wide unique though, what if "Bob Marley" and "Bob Marley" have the same password, which "Bob Marley" do we log in?



  • @sam said:

    The long name is not system wide unique though, what if "Bob Marley" and "Bob Marley" have the same password, which "Bob Marley" do we log in?

    What? You mean unlike every other system* in the universe, "first come first serve, suck it!" doesn't apply to usernames on discourse? At the very least, put that in giant bold letters on the create an account/forgot password thing.

    Put another way: if the user name isn't unique, WTF is the point of having it? "Bob Marley" is a name, not a username... seriously....I'm beginning to think that the world really did hit its peak for just about everything in the 1990s and is now in its long decline.

    *Possibly a slight hyperbole. And holy crap, have I gotten curmudgeonly in the past few days...



  • @too_many_userna said:

    What? You mean unlike every other system* in the universe, "first come first serve, suck it!" doesn't apply to usernames on discourse? At the very least, put that in giant bold letters on the create an account/forgot password thing.

    Put another way: if the user name isn't unique, WTF is the point of having it? "Bob Marley" is a name, not a username... seriously....I'm beginning to think that the world really did hit its peak for just about everything in the 1990s and is now in its long decline.

    The long name is just a dumb field, like website or profile. You can put anything you want in there. The short name is the unique username in the system. See:


  • Banned

    @too_many_userna is systemwide unique, hence you can log in using it.

    too_many_usernames (your display name) is not.

    2 different fields.



  • @moderator said:

    The short name is the unique username in the system.

    You mean the one that is broken because it only allows 15 characters? Technology is supposed to make things better, not worse!

    Edit: Also, if the short name is the "system wide unique" name, why on earth is it editable in the user preferences? Shouldn't it be fixed at account creation time? (Of course, that explains the warning you get about if you change it, it will break @name stuff... I really can't comprehend the thought process behind that design decision.)



  • @too_many_userna said:

    You mean the one that is broken because it only allows 15 characters? Technology is supposed to make things better, not worse!

    I'll grant you that 15 characters is a little stingy, but it was important to them that the back-end of Discourse be capable of porting to the PDP-11.

    What would you regard as an appropriate amount of characters, though? 30? 50? 100? Or do you want them to make it an unrestricted text datatype because otherwise it violates the 0,1, infinity rule?


  • Banned

    @too_many_userna said:

    You mean the one that is broken because it only allows 15 characters?

    I just raised it to 20 (which will be deployed here next run), if the powers-that-be want to allow longer ones so be it. They have a hidden setting for it.



  • @sam said:

    I just raised it to 20

    Can you up it to, say, 76? Because I'm still a few characters short for my preferred username: bstorer_is_the_best_and_he_should_be_a_moderator_and_also_everyone_loves_him


  • Banned

    @moderator said:

    bstorer_is_the_best_and_he_should_be_a_moderator_and_also_everyone_loves_him

    Will not work for my preferred username though

    Johann Gambolputty-de-von-ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knackerthrasher-applebanger-horowitz-ticolensic-granderknotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kürstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-guten-abend-bitte-einen-nürnburger-bratwürstel-gespurten-mit-zweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-schönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittelraucher-von-hauptkopft of Ulm


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @sam said:

    Johann Gambolputty-de-von-ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knackerthrasher-applebanger-horowitz-ticolensic-granderknotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kürstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-guten-abend-bitte-einen-nürnburger-bratwürstel-gespurten-mit-zweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-schönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittelraucher-von-hauptkopft of Ulm
    His name is my name, too!



  • @sam said:

    Will not work for my preferred username though

    Well of course not; that username contains illegal characters. It can only have alphanumerics and underscores. Instead, I recommend upping the limit to 963 characters, so that you can use the entire lyrics to the Tommy Tutone classic, Jenny:

    Hey_Jenny_Jenny_who_can_I_turn_to_You_give_me_somethin_I_can_hold_on_to_I_know_you_think_Im_like_the_others_before_Who_saw_your_name_and_number_on_the_wall_Jenny_I_got_your_number_I_need_to_make_you_mine_Jenny_dont_change_your_number_867_5309_867_5309_867_5309_867_5309_Jenny_Jenny_youre_the_girl_for_me_Oh_you_dont_know_me_but_you_make_me_so_happy_I_tried_to_call_you_before_but_I_lost_my_nerve_I_tried_my_imagination_but_I_was_disturbed_Jenny_I_got_your_number_I_need_to_make_you_mine_Jenny_dont_change_your_number_867_5309_867_5309_867_5309_867_5309_I_got_it_I_got_it_I_got_it_I_got_your_number_on_the_wall_I_got_it_I_got_it_I_got_it_For_a_good_time_for_a_good_time_call_Jenny_dont_change_your_number_I_need_to_make_you_mine_Jenny_I_call_your_number_867_5309_867_5309_867_5309_867_5309_Jenny_Jenny_who_can_I_turn_to_867_5309_For_the_price_of_a_dime_I_can_always_turn_to_you_867_5309_867_5309_867_5309_867_5309_867_5309_5309_867_5309_5309_867_5309_5309_867_5309



  • I think the realistic expectation would be to have the same character limit that the CS system had, so we can have the same usernames we used to have.

    It's not that difficult, people... (or at least, it shouldn't be...)



  • @sam said:

    The long name is not system wide unique though, what if "Bob Marley" and "Bob Marley" have the same password, which "Bob Marley" do we log in?

    Obviously neither, because Bob Marley is in Hell with the rest of the hippies.



  • @sam said:

    Will not work for my preferred username though

    Johann Gambolputty-de-von-ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knackerthrasher-applebanger-horowitz-ticolensic-granderknotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kürstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-guten-abend-bitte-einen-nürnburger-bratwürstel-gespurten-mit-zweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-schönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittelraucher-von-hauptkopft of Ulm

    lol. I'm developing a video game and I finally got a login view set up yesterday. It asks for a username and password but the server doesn't actually look up anything, just says "OK" to whatever the client passes in...for now. Anyway, I didn't put a max length on the input fields, naturally my partners/testers ended up with usernames roughly 400 characters long and caused all kinds of in-game rendering issues when displaying usernames.



  • @moderator said:

    The long name is just a dumb field, like website or profile. You can put anything you want in there.

    Exactly. I put "EXTREMELY MASSIVE PRIAPISMIC DONG" in there, but what would happen if John Holmes wanted to sign up? Which "EXTREMELY MASSIVE PRIAPISMIC DONG" would we sign him in as? I don't want him getting access to all my special moderator powers.



  • @mott555 said:

    lol. I'm developing a video game and I finally got a login view set up yesterday. It asks for a username and password but the server doesn't actually look up anything, just says "OK" to whatever the client passes in...for now. Anyway, I didn't put a max length on the input fields, naturally my partners/testers ended up with usernames roughly 400 characters long and caused all kinds of in-game rendering issues when displaying usernames.

    Always handle data validation first. Otherwise you'll never come back and do it later and you will get ass-bitten by it.



  • @too_many_userna said:

    I think the realistic expectation would be to have the same character limit that the CS system had

    I think it should be one less than CS allowed, for trolling purposes.



  • @moderator said:

    too_many_userna said:
    I think the realistic expectation would be to have the same character limit that the CS system had

    I think it should be one less than CS allowed, for trolling purposes.

    I think it should just be one. One character. If Discourse is sane and uses Unicode that should be plenty of usernames for TDWTF denizens and leave room for growth, too.

    Filed under: My new username will be ╣, Aw the preferences page said no



  • @mott555 said:

    f Discourse is sane and uses Unicode that should be plenty of usernames for TDWTF denizens and leave room for growth, too.

    I like this proposal, but I think we'll have a hard time figuring out which single user gets U+0FD5. I'm leaning toward ∎ for myself, because once you've read my posts, your problems are solved.



  • I ⚗ Discourse



  • @ben_lubar said:

    I ⚗ Discourse

    What the fuck is that supposed to be?



  • I remember that being a tag on CS, so I decided we need it here as well.



  • What part of "I alembic Discourse" do you not understand?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.