Ransomware hitting apple's phones and pads

• I am getting report that apple phone have been hit with their own ransomware virus.

Australian Apple device users are finding their iDevices locked by some hacker demanding cash. Here's how to defend yourself, and what to do if you've been hit.

• TBF, it's not a virus, nor is it ransomware. All signs point to a hack of some sort.

It could be something like a compromised app developer who grabbed too many permissions and got hacked and now his app is being used to attack people (I'm not considering it ransomware because holding the phone hostage is not the primary purpose of the compromised software). Or it could be, as I've seen mentioned in other places, some sort of DNS poisoning attack. Pretty much any other kind of attack would see this popping for users all over the world and not just against Australians.

FWIW, my suspicion is a compromised app since I heard at least one Australian in the UK got hit.

• Maybe they have an easy to trigger remote jailbreak? I remember back in iOS4 or something there was a jailbreak made possible through a crafted PDF. Everyone rejoiced, but some hackers tricked people into downloading the PDF, recorded their IP and SSH'ed into their phones to do all sorts of nefarious things.

• Having a passcode on the device apparently protects against the lock (just use your passcode to open it back up) so a remote jailbreak isn't going to be the cause as it wouldn't be so easy to get around.

• Everything I've read says it appears to be using Apple iCloud "Find my Phone" feature against the owners. So either somebody got a regionally targeted list of emails and passwords or this person hates Aussies and somehow filtered the dump they got, or an app that's regionally popular in Australia got pwned. Personally, my money is on #2.

• Is that it, then? We've given up and we're going to be posting our WTFs over here, now?

Shit.

• @skotl said:

Is that it, then? We've given up and we're going to be posting our WTFs over here, now?

Shit.

I would posit that @Nagesh should not be viewed as a guide to expected behavior.

• BINNED

Eh, mine are tame so might as well put them here. If they get deleted I don't care. If I find anything juicy it's going over to CS.

• @oesor said:

I would posit that @Nagesh should not be viewed as a guide to expected behavior.

You can pose all you want, but trwtf is that car is now the ride and the day of horse and buggy and whips are soon to end. Perhaps not the whip, but the horse and buggy most certainly.

• BINNED

You can alsof continue bitching about Discours ... ofcourse.

• Considered Harmful

@Nagesh said:

You can pose all you want, but trwtf is that car is now the ride and the day of horse and buggy and whips are soon to end. Perhaps not the whip, but the horse and buggy most certainly.

Discourse is a horse, of course of course, and no one would talk on Discourse of course; unless, of course, Discourse has the famous Side Bar thread.

• @error said:

Discourse is the back end of a horse, of course of course,
    FTFY

As for your little ditty, I'm at a loss for words to describe how awful that was, and you deserve a truckload of produce from said horse's back end. It was also the funniest thing I have read on here today. +1

Filed under: Get off my lawn

• ♿ (Parody)

@HardwareGeek said:

+1

TRWTF 😿

• @skotl said:

Is that it, then? We've given up and we're going to be posting our WTFs over here, now?

Shit.

Well, if Alex is to be believed, eventually we''ll have to anyway. If it can't be painless, at least it can be quick.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Well, this thread made it to seven posts before being derailed. What was the end result?Should I jailbreak my phone to fix it? ?