:fa_eye: The Official Lurkers' Thread™

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@moderator said:

I am amused by the number of TDWTF forum lurkers/infrequent posters who have come after Discourse with guns blazing. If nothing else, it's bringing us together as a community.

A few people have mentioned the increase in lurker activity since the move to Discourse. I've certainly been posting more. So this thread is calling all lurkers.

We're all familiar with the usual suspects on this site like Blakey, Morbs, El Heffe, Boomzilla, PJH, mikeTheLiar, dhromed, bstorer Pesto moderator, and others.

Now let's get a bit more familiar with the lurkers.

I'm Doctor Jones, I've been a member lurking since 2010. I'm from Nottingham in the UK (Robin Hood country), I'm a Software dev, primarily working with C#, ASP MVC and Webforms.

• I lurk between posts.

Hi.

• Good idea for a thread. I'm Dan, my wholly unoriginal screen name can be traced back to my real-world identity with ease, as perilous as that might be. I'm from the Gold Coast, Australia, but at the moment I'm in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. I'm doing the whole remote worker/digital nomad thing and I mainly work with JavaScript (node, angularjs) and PHP with the odd bit of C#. All cloud (there's a buzzword to rival "digital nomad") stuff.

• I'm a Southern New Jersey, USA transplant to the horrible enclave of Washington, DC, USA. If you've ever played Fallout 3, it's pretty much just like that here. Currently mostly a C# / ASP.NET MVC programmer, but it's hard to stay with just one language when you're the company's only software guy so you get to do fun things like support WordPress, modify DAQ hardware code, perform acts on Excel that would probably be illegal if they were done to a human being, and write scripts to automate tasks for IT.

I've gotten sick of it so I've started my own software company.

Sorry man, I didn't mean to miss you off the list, I wasn't aiming for something exhaustive. Maybe there should be a matching TDWTF All-Stars thread too 😉

• @DoctorJones said:

Mike the Liar

I'll have you know that my username is camelCase, thank you very much.

@mikeTheLiar said:

I'll have you know that my username is camelCase, thank you very much.

Edited to match

• Been here since 2007, and was active in the starting years. I was most active around back when Spectateswamp visited us and the dark reign of MasterPlanSoftware was still in effect. It was a relief to finally see him get banned.

Now I usually have better things to do with my time.

• Don't know what you're talking about, Swampy still posts a few times a month. Most users are finally bored of him though.

• Oh, I meant "Why is Everybody so clueless on the importance of Desktop Search to the Masses?" introducing SSDS to us in all its glory (Thread has a whopping 2512 post, literally 1% of the posts of the old forum is in that thread).

Didn't know he kept posting after that.

• Oh wow I didn't realize he had previous threads!

Oooo, it's interesting learning a bit about the history of the forum. I've heard a bit about SpectateSwamp but not heard of MasterPlanSoftware before.

It might be cool to see a wiki thread dedicated to the history of the site and forum.

@DoctorJones said:

It might be cool to see a wiki thread dedicated to the history of the site and forum.

That gives me cold shudders just at the thought of it. I've dealt with some very persistent and annoying Wikitrolls in my time. I remember one “nice” Canadian chap who insisted on renaming every page in a big Wiki to start with its Dewey Decimal Classification number. Absolutely barking mad, and totally determined to let nothing stop him on his quest for world domination fully categorising the entire internet.

• @DoctorJones said:

Oooo, it's interesting learning a bit about the history of the forum. I've heard a bit about SpectateSwamp but not heard of MasterPlanSoftware before.

@morbiuswilters can probably tell it best, he was the most active person from them and sorta-supported MPS (but I remember him later stating that he was wrong and the forums actually improved after he was banned)

Basically he lived on the forum. It started out innocently enough, but after a while 50% of the posts were from him. He also always flamed and derailed threads. Then Alex tried to step in by introducing a new mod (who hadn't even been on the forums before that) and the whole thing escalated a bit. It was ugly, as far as internet-only escalations go of course. Then he was banned and everything went back to normal.

I believe he was the first (and only?) non-spambot ban on the forum. The threads are probably still there but I can't easily find them.

He was also banned from StackOverflow, but I'm too lazy to look for the thread about that.

edit: Changed wasn't ugly into was ugly

• @DoctorJones said:

I'll just leave this here then: Tunnelrat.

MPS was a real PITA though.

• @dtech said:

Basically he lived on the forum. It started out innocently enough, but after a while 50% of the posts were from him. He also always flamed and derailed threads. Then Alex tried to step in by introducing a new mod (who hadn't even been on the forums before that) and the whole thing escalated a bit. It wasn't ugly, as far as internet-only escalations go ofcourse. Then he was banned and everything went back to normal.

I believe he was the first (and only?) non-spambot ban on the forum. The threads are probably still there but I can't easily find them.

I don't remember it like this.

• Vell, I'm just zis guy, you know?

• Been lurking on these forums since 2008

• @dhromed said:

I don't remember it like this.

ISTR he was the only person who got their entire posting history perma-deleted (more than once after they came back) from the database from the backend, as opposed to, say, what happens to general spam (they get moved to a hidden board.)

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.