Dell RAM recommendations

• Something that stood out while checking laptops for the BF:

http://dellstore04.dell.com.au/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=498044&sr_no=2 

• doesn't work

Unfortunately, your current session in the Dell online store has expired. Please click on the appropriate link on the right to return to the Dell homepage. To prevent this from happening again, please note that Dell store sessions expire after being inactive for over 30 minutes. If you are having trouble or require assistance, please call a Dell sales representative within normal business hours.
    <font size="2"> </font>
    If you see this page while you are trying to submit an online order, your order has not been received by Dell. Please return to your country homepage and place a new order.

• I think the real WTF here is that he went to buy a laptop from HELL DELL

• eh, sorry.

it was Dell recommending 1.5GB (1x1024 + 1x512) DDR2.

funny thing is, it's only on the Inspiron line that they do this. 

• Heh, like that's something.

I'm a university-student and in my sparetime I do some computer-consulting for various privates and smaller companies. About a month ago I ordered a server from Dell, using their website. Now, my customer here's a small but successfull travel company and as I know Dell for high-quality computers and servers, I purchased the $1800 server from them.

The thing is, here in Denmark, the laws and regulations are made in such a way that it was an advantage for my customer to buy the server as a private person, rather than his travel company, so when we ordered the server online, I didn't fill in the 'company'-field. The order was accepted, they got the credit-card-number and we were told that an e-mail would arrive once confirmed and the computer asap.

So we waited for a week.

And waited another.

But nothing, no e-mail, no computer, no nothing.

So I call them up and first they have no clue what to do 'cus a private person ordered a server (who should I talk to, business or private?) so I get tossed around their phone-system and after having talked to rougly 10 persons and the same guy twice, I finally get some proper quality support. I explain to this lady the situation that we've ordered this server but then nothing happened.

Now the wtf is her explanation for why nothing happened: Apparently Dell has outsourced the programming of it's online-store to india and apparently they've caused some issues, one of them being that if you order a server, but you keep the 'Company'-field blank, the order gets through but doesn't get saved!

We resolved it though by scanning in the order confirmation I printed when ordering the server and then e-mailing it to the phone-lady directly. The server came, ordered as a private person a few days later.

• The thing is, here in Denmark, the laws and regulations are made in such a way that it was an advantage for my customer to buy the server as a private person, rather than his travel company,

That's The Real WTF. 

• We resolved it though by scanning in the order confirmation I printed when ordering the server and then e-mailing it to the phone-lady directly. The server came, ordered as a private person a few days later.

Now imagine how fast it would have ben delivered if you'd printed it, put it on a wooden table, taken a picture,

• [quote user="m0ffx"]

The thing is, here in Denmark, the laws and regulations are made in
    such a way that it was an advantage for my customer to buy the server
    as a private person, rather than his travel company,

That's The Real WTF. 

[/quote]

It's normal in many European countries. Private persons have better protection than corporate buyers. They have several rights that cannot be abandoned in the contract; corporate buyers are free to make any contract they want to, withing some limits. Reason: Private consumers are too likely to not understand the fine-print in the contract, so sellers would fleece them. Corporate buyers are considered smart enough to understand what they sign.

• [quote user="donazea"]

eh, sorry.

[/quote]

I don't get it.  Is DDR2 supposed to be paired? 

• [quote user="merreborn"][quote user="donazea"]

eh, sorry.

[/quote]

I don't get it.  Is DDR2 supposed to be paired? 

[/quote]

Only if it's dual-channel. 

• [quote user="mortenskyt"]Now, my customer here's a small but successfull travel company and as I know Dell for high-quality computers and servers, I purchased the $1800 server from them.[/quote]

WTF? I am using a Dell Precision M70 (15" WD, 2GHz Pentium M) notebook at work. Here are excerpts of my high quality experience:

• While idling and connected to the power line, it consumes 50 Watts (including power adapter). My 15" Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz consumes 15W. In standby, it consumes 5 Watts (PowerBook: 2) including adapter.
    • The touchpad can be used as an emergency nailfile. It does not support two-finger scrolling.
    • That thing is almost twice as thick as my Powerbook, this makes typing on the integrated keyboard uncomfortable.
    • The DVD drive cannot be opened until Windows XP has booted up (unless you have a paper clip at hand).
    • It doesn't have DVI output.
    • The case makes funny noises under stress.
    • There is an overly bright strip at the bottom of the display.
    • The touchpad is too close to the keyboard making it easy to hit by accident.
    • The display produces a lot of waste heat.
    • No keyboard backlight. No Bluetooth. No FireWire (PB has FW400 and FW800).
    • It's noisy, of course, compared to my PowerBook.

Now I don't want to deride this thing... most of these issues are kind of forgivable for what I'm using it for at work. For example I'm using an external display (makes uneven brightness and excess heat from the internal display irrelevant) and don't need the extra quality offered by DVI. I don't move it a lot and it's always connected to the power adapter. I don't boot from CD/DVD often. I don't have much use for FireWire or Bluetooth devices at work. But I certainly would not enjoy this notebook for private use.

I mean I've seen worse notebooks. Some from Dell, too, of course. It's ok, as long as you use it as a desktop replacement (as I do). But I certainly wouldn't go so far and call this a high-quality device. Maybe Dell makes better servers, of course.

• How much did you pay for the Dell, and how much for PowerBook?

• [quote user="Alexis de Torquemada"]

Maybe Dell makes better servers, of course.

[/quote]

Maybe. Anyway, of all the servers our customers use, the only one that occassionaly locks up is a Dell PowerEdge 2650 running SLES8.

• [quote user="ammoQ"]

Corporate buyers are considered smart enough to understand what they sign.

[/quote]

Fill in appropriate zinger here.