"Hardcore programmer"

• From comp.databases.ms-sqlserver:

(original message)

Dear All Software Developers,

I am a hardcore programmer who treat programming as a hobby. Recently,
    I have just created a website (http://www.sqlref.com) to share my
    knowledge and programming experience and to record down any new tricks
    that I learned. This  website started with SQL info. becaue I think SQL
    is the most basic but must know thing for all software developers.
    Eventually, I will make this website covers other topics such as .NET,
    SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 and so on. I will update it everyday.

I think all developers should be able to access the SQL reference /
    Guide at any time, any place. Thus, I created this website for anybody
    who need reference on SQL. While you are doing programming and stuck
    with the SQL syntax, just open you web browser and type
    http://www.sqlref.com
    to look for you answer. I guess sqlref.com is easy enought to remember.
    No registration is required because I am not selling or marketing
    anything. Just a website for programmers to refer.

I hope the website is useful to you all.

Enjoy!

Warmest Regards,
    Allen

(an apt reply)

A hardcore programmer using Frontpage to build an ad-ridden site?

Nice, real classy.

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="_themes/blends-sql-ref/blen1011.css"><meta name="Microsoft Theme"
    content="blends-sql-ref 1011">

• At least he isn't using that site for his own benefit...err, wait; um... 

• I don't see the WTF here. He's (claiming to be) an SQL expert. Not HTML. And I'm not even sure he's using Frontpage. Frontpage usually puts in the content-generator meta tag. Which isn't in that page. The site is OK designed if lacking in beauty, and the HTML is readable. He is a bit heavy on the Google ads but I've seen much worse.

• Hi am hard core programmers as wells and I are treat programmings as hobbyist as well too! Therefour I want to making a a websight that no one anywhere can ever find for information elsewhere, you will only will find it on one sight and that is mine! I have know all computer languages, but more difficult ones like HTMRL is too hard so I use my auto editor Microsoft package design wizzzard.

At least that's my interpretation of what he's trying to say. In his native dialect, whatever the eff that might be. Honestly, another website about SQL? And basically all he's got out there is the equivalent of the first half of a SQL 101 class I took once upon a time. This is exactly what's wrong with the Internet today, and why Google searches are becoming less and less useful.

Because 8,000,000 morons out there decided that what they enjoy doing in their spare time is worthy of yet another website which contains all the information they've learned from various other sites along the way. Except it's just the same information, slightly mutated, and organized completely differently. Rarely do I come across a site like this and say "Thank GOD this guy put his info up, I couldn't find this answer ANYWHERE."

I'm also not sure why people doing this claim to be hobbyists. Running a simple website only costs me like $100 a year. www.SQLRef.com, as well as my site, is just straight HTML, nothing fancy. No need for a database backend, or ASP.Net programming. The point of the ads would normally be to offset the cost to run the site, but really if you're not willing to drop $100 for something you supposedly enjoy as a hobby, then you're trying to make money off it. And therefore it's no longer just a hobby, it's a part time job. And I've lost respect for you.

Score (scale of 1 to 10): -10
    Punishment: Death by DELETE statement

• [quote user="m0ffx"]

I don't see the WTF here. He's (claiming to be) an SQL expert. Not HTML. And I'm not even sure he's using Frontpage. Frontpage usually puts in the content-generator meta tag. Which isn't in that page. The site is OK designed if lacking in beauty, and the HTML is readable. He is a bit heavy on the Google ads but I've seen much worse.

[/quote]

You can tell it's Frontpage with the <!--mstheme--> tag, and the way that it wraps and indents the text for the paragraphs he typed out.

The WTF is that it's a useless site with almost as many ads as SQL info.

• Adblock ftw. I see no ads at all on that site. Granted, the rest of it is actually disgusting. But no ads for me.

My favorite part is this:

<font face="Microsoft Sans Serif" size="2">"Ooops!!!! Forgot to introduce myself. I am a hardcore programmer interested in SQL, HTML, VB, VB .NET, C++, C#, C/SIDE, Java, Foxpro, Perl, ASP, ASP.NET, DB2, SQL Server and Oracle. "</font>

It's like he just found a list of everything he could to try to make himself look "hardcore"

• [quote user="emurphy"]

From comp.databases.ms-sqlserver:

(original message)

Dear All Software Developers,

I am a hardcore programmer who treat programming as a hobby.

[/quote]

You don't need to read any further.

1. It was posted to a newsgroup

2. He ain't got no propper grammers

3. He's a "hardcore" programmer that treats programming as a "hobby" ?!?!?!?!?!?!

He might as well be from Nigeria screaming: 

I WILL EAT YOUR DOLLARS!!! I WILL EAT YOUR DOLLARS!!! 

I wouldn't be surprised if some of his tricks and techniques deliberately open up security holes either.

Edit:

Ok, I actually went to the site... It's not as bad as I make it out to be.... Awell 

• Wow, bookmarked, thanks, lots of real hardcore SQL stuff on the website, like how to do SELECT * FROM ... and other tricky SQL statements thanks again.  I can't wait for when he add  the .NET part to the site, maybe he can show us how to print Hello World in a console window or similar.

• Maybe it's just me, but this strikes me as a pretty big WTF:

"This website started with SQL info. becaue I think SQL is the most basic but must know thing for all software developers. Eventually, I will make this website covers other topics such as .NET, SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 and so on. I will update it everyday."

If the site is primarily about SQL, wouldn't that imply that it's general, non-DBMS-specific SQL information, such as standard queries and relational  database design? But he also wants to "cover other topics" that include three specific database systems. If that's the case, what system is he using for the information he already has?

I dunno, I guess it's just me. 

• [quote user="jesirose"]<font face="Microsoft Sans Serif" size="2">"Ooops!!!!
    Forgot to introduce myself. I am a hardcore programmer
    interested in SQL, HTML, VB, VB .NET, C++,
    C#, C/SIDE, Java, Foxpro, Perl, ASP, ASP.NET, DB2, SQL Server and Oracle. "</font>

It's like he just found a list of everything he could to try to make himself look "hardcore"[/quote]

VB and ASP are particularly hardcore, considering amounts of WTF they produce. And he forgot to put in PHP, C99, PL/SQL, D, Javascript, Lua, Python, Ruby, Tcl/Tk, NQC*, Lisp, Eiffel, Smalltalk, Fortran, Cobol, Prolog, Modula, Ada, x86 assembly and Brainfuck .

That's the language to program the Lego robots in case you don't know.

* The order is meaningless