To all the oracle haters

• fuck you. how dare you talk about oracle. after everything they have done for you you have the audacity to come in and make not only hate speech about oracle but also make a dedicated section of your website to shit on it? we're trying to do our best and you fucking haters are so unappreciative of our efforts. you're so lucky we still support java otherwise you all would be out of a job!!!!!

• Guys, I figured it out! This guy is the lotus notes guy but from a worse company.

• @Ben L. said:

Guys, I figured it out! This guy is the lotus notes guy but from a worse company.

Which guy was that, anyway? Does he still have a profile? I keep hearing about him but haven't come across any of his posts in my necro-spelunking. From what I've heard he sounds like the source of countless lols.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

@Ben L. said:
    Guys, I figured it out! This guy is the lotus notes guy but from a worse company.

Which guy was that, anyway? Does he still have a profile? I keep hearing about him but haven't come across any of his posts in my necro-spelunking. From what I've heard he sounds like the source of countless lols.

Here you go. Have fun!

• Just about everything Oracle has been involved in is a joke, except for their database.

The database is top-notch... SQL Server proponents like to think they're trading a little bit of performance for a lot of usability, but the reality is that the GUI used to administer SQL Server sucks.

Take the backup/restore dialog, for example. Until recently, it exhibited only garden variety stupidity. It was, like, the one Microsoft dialog that apparently had no concept of filename extensions, and was just generally clunky. In the most recent versions, though, Microsoft has redesigned the dialog to be far, far worse.

My favorite part: restoring a backup file defaults to putting the restored file over the location from which it was backed up, even if you change the name of the database you're restoring to. Imagine a scenario where you have a copy of the data that you restore/trash/restore repeatedly during development... better remember to change that target data file name every fucking time, or you'll trash the database (production?) from which the image backup was originally taken.

Oh, and the fancy GUI that's used to maintain your schema? A lot of the time it pussies out, forces the table edit window closed, and saves the fucking name of the object you were trying to edit (and nothing else) to a text file. What the fuck does that accomplish? And I'm talking about ordinary changes where the corresponding ALTER TABLE command goes right through, e.g. making a column NOT NULL in an empty table.