My Ruby has derailed

• @dhromed said:

@Bulb said:
    SQLite is a good option. And it's a good option for development and testing, because it does not require any setup.

At $work we need to process some data. Some of it needs to be programmed in a Turing-complete language, but most of it is best expressed as a long sequence of SQL queries. So we have an application that reads millions of rows from the database, creates intermediate results with millions of rows and [...] Of course it's an offline batch process, so we don't need other processes to access the data when it's being processed.

Bold additions mine.

I'm not trying to be cute, just the linguist in me is often amused and intrigued by an apparent lack of certain words in eastern-european and russian languages (my grammar terminology is sketchy. it's the "(in)definite article", I think?).

Those are perfectly fine English sentences.  What is it that you think is missing?

• @El_Heffe said:

@RTapeLoadingError said:

"deck" becomes "dick". (It's probably not what you think when I Kiwi suggests you spend the evening sat on his dick.)
    It must be difficult to be gay in New Zealand.  You just get a bunch of guys sitting on your deck.

On the other hand: millions of sheep.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@morbiuswilters said:

why not just create a "drop column" command that runs the above?
    Because nobody's contributed the code to the SQL compiler engine to do it? It could just generate the same code as you'd get for the sample, so it must be possible. Given how much it's actually needed (little enough that a gross workaround is acceptable) I suspect that sorting out this kind of issue is low on the developers' priority list.

Disclosure: I know the lead developer personally (he's a nice guy, and a very able developer indeed). I also won't write anything in SQLite's implementation; too busy doing other things using it…

• @El_Heffe said:

@dhromed said:

@Bulb said:
    SQLite is a good option. And it's a good option for development and testing, because it does not require any setup.

At $work we need to process some data. Some of it needs to be programmed in a Turing-complete language, but most of it is best expressed as a long sequence of SQL queries. So we have an application that reads millions of rows from the database, creates intermediate results with millions of rows and [...] Of course it's an offline batch process, so we don't need other processes to access the data when it's being processed.

Bold additions mine.

I'm not trying to be cute, just the linguist in me is often amused and intrigued by an apparent lack of certain words in eastern-european and russian languages (my grammar terminology is sketchy. it's the "(in)definite article", I think?).

Those are perfectly fine English sentences.  What is it that you think is missing?

They are bold additions. They were lacking from the original post.

@RTapeLoadingError said:

The easiest way to do a New Zealand accent is to swap i's for u's and e's for i's for example, "fish" becomes "fush"; "deck" becomes "dick". (It's probably not what you think when I Kiwi suggests you spend the evening sat on his dick.)

It's also likely not what you first think of when a Kiwi suggests you spend the evening sat on his duck.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

@El_Heffe said:
    @dhromed said:
    @Bulb said:

Bold additions mine.

They are bold additions. They were lacking from the original post.
    Ah . . . . I didn't notice that in the OP.  Apparently the OP left out a few words because he was typing too fast, or thought he was on Twitter.

• @El_Heffe said:

Ah . . . . I didn't notice that in the OP.  Apparently the OP left out a few words because he was typing too fast, or thought he was on Twitter.

Uh, I think it is more likely that OP left them out because he's Czech and English isn't his first language.

• @dkf said:

Because nobody's contributed the code to the SQL compiler engine to do it? It could just generate the same code as you'd get for the sample, so it must be possible. Given how much it's actually needed (little enough that a gross workaround is acceptable) I suspect that sorting out this kind of issue is low on the developers' priority list.

Isn't that a bit circular? Seems to me the gross workaround isn't so much acceptable as it is a necessity. Maybe I'm living in Crazyland here, but I don't think of a "drop column" command as some kind of ridiculous luxury.

@dkf said:

Disclosure: I know the lead developer personally (he's a nice guy, and a very able developer indeed).

He may be able, that doesn't mean the product doesn't suck. Amazingly, good products require more than just a couple of crack, cowboy coders.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dkf said:

Isn't that a bit circular? Seems to me the gross workaround isn't so much acceptable as it is a necessity. Maybe I'm living in Crazyland here, but I don't think of a "drop column" command as some kind of ridiculous luxury.

Exactly.  How can someone think it's perfectly OK to resort to some hacky workaround for a feature that should have existed from the beginning?  How in the world is that "low on the developers' priority list"?

• @El_Heffe said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@dkf said:

Exactly.  How can someone think it's perfectly OK to resort to some hacky workaround for a feature that should have existed from the beginning?  How in the world is that "low on the developers' priority list"?

Has sqllite ever added bulk inserts, or do you still have to write them as insert ... select union select union select ... ?

• @Buttembly Coder said:

@El_Heffe said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@dkf said:

Has sqllite ever added bulk inserts, or do you still have to write them as insert ... select union select union select ... ?

Yes. About two years ago. It is probably limited to the max size for a BLOB, because apparently that is also the max statement length, for reasons that hurt my brain to think about.

• @bstorer said:

It is probably limited to the max size for a BLOB, because apparently that is also the max statement length, for reasons that hurt my brain to think about.

Transaction log stored in a hidden table in the database?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:
    It is probably limited to the max size for a BLOB, because apparently that is also the max statement length, for reasons that hurt my brain to think about.

Possible. But I'm leaning toward some sort of pie-in-the-sky, academic thinking. "When you think about it logically, everything is ultimately a BLOB because it's all just data."

• @bstorer said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @bstorer said:

Possible. But I'm leaning toward some sort of pie-in-the-sky, academic thinking. "When you think about it logically, everything is ultimately a BLOB because it's all just data."

From a quick skimming of the source, it appears it uses the compile-time option to determine the max size of a memory allocation, and hence how much data a single row can contain.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @bstorer said:

From a quick skimming of the source, it appears it uses the compile-time option to determine the max size of a memory allocation, and hence how much data a single row can contain.

That's... disappointing.

• @bstorer said:

@flabdablet said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    work in something about dingoes or putting more shrimp on the barbie
    That's "prawns", you nong. Only a nuff-nuff who believes we think Foster's is beer would ever say "shrimp".
    Nope, sorry. According to your embassy, it's "shrimp."

@BBC said:

The Ruins of Canberra, Australia Today Acting King of Australia Paul Hogan announced his country's intent to continue its "Buy One, Get One Free" deal on the popular Bloomin' Onion "Aussie-Tizer" through Memorial Day. Rumors that the promotion would end mid-April have led to tense negotiations between the island restaurant chain and the United States over the past few weeks. However that impasse appears to be at an end as United States Secretary of State and Fried Foods John Kerry assured reporters relations between his country and the war-ravaged producer of snack foods are at an all time high. The Secretary did not have time for an official comment as he was needed at the Grand Opening of a Five Guys in Ohio.

The situation between the two countries hit a nadir last year after an American consumer who requested a second pail of butter dipping sauce for her shrimp was charged extra. Assistant Night Manager of Australia, Todd Hobart, said that charging for additional butter pails was company policy. This did not go over well with United States President Barack Obama who said the extra fifty cents on the bill represented "a red line.. a salty-yet-sweet red line evoking subtle hints of mandarin oranges and high-fructose corn syrup with an aftertaste of FDA-endorsed Yellow No. 5".

Things took a turn for the worse in September when the United States government accused Australia of harboring the "wanted international terrorist" Frito Bandito, whom American authorities had been after ever since he reduced the size of a pouch of corn crisps by 0.7 ounces while still charging the same price, the goldbricking spic bastard. The Australian government insisted that it was not harboring Senor Bandito as he was a fictional character and the entire situation was merely contrived by the CIA as a flimsy pretext for war.

After three hours of sanctions without Mr. Bandito being handed over, the American government launched seventy Minuteman III ICBMs at the antipodean nation, vaporizing most of the population instantly and leaving the survivors envying the dead. In response, the Australian Parliament-or-whatever-the-hell-they-have-down-there rushed through a bill to authorize the crowd-pleasing promotional offer on its country's flagship export--a genetically-modified four pound onion, diced into criss-cross pattern, covered in approximately a gallon of Budweiser™ brand beer batter, deep fried in coconut oil and served piping hot with a quart of orange-coloured ranch dressing. Hoverounds were lined up around the block as soon as the NSA announced the results of the upcoming vote.

However, relations began to sour again when rumor started that the promotion would soon end. Acting President of Australia Paul Hogan had this to say "Dear God you have to stop them! The Yanks are bombing our refugee camps with crates of those giant damn onions along with pamphlets telling us to 'Get to work limey'! We just want sterile water to cleanse our wounds and time to bury our rotting dead!! Oh God why is this happ--" at which point the American snacking authorities intervened to tell us that Mr. Hogan's government would be fully compliant with and responsive to the quite reasonable tastes of the energetic, jet-setting American consumer.

They went on to state that Acting President Hogan finished with an awe-inspiring rendition of "God Bless America" done in a piercing falsetto to the frantic cheers of the Australian people who were moved to absolute tears at the occasion. When we asked if there was any video confirming these events, the American spokesman wordlessly produced from his briefcase a dossier on our reporters whose stunning breadth and distressing attention to detail left our reporters absolutely convinced of the boundless probity of the American authorities. As always.

American investors were bullish on the news which sent Australia's share price surging in after-hours trading to $700 (USD) per-share, bringing the nation's market capitalization to over 380 quadrillion USD. This pushed the Dow Jones Industrial Average to a New All-Time High of 917 quintillion USD.

The row over the half-priced onion antipasti comes on the heels of an international incident between the United States and the People's Republic of China over the business hours of popular Asian food emporium Panda Express. During that week's crisis, President Barack Obama said that "Closing so early leaves millions of disenfranchised Americans with no place to purchase quality Asian food at everyday low prices. Why, the Panda Express near the White House closes at nine P.M. Nine P.M.! I've made caring for the poor the centerpiece of my Presidency; many poor people don't even roll out of bed until five, six o'clock at night! Now where are they going to go to buy two dozen egg rolls with their now-valid-at-fast-food-chains EBT cards? Panda Express refusing to stay open later is a red line.. a sticky, goopy, sweet-and-sour red line.."

The President went on to say "I understand that keeping the lobby open might be tough, but how hard is it to have a couple of people running a drive-thru window for those post-midnight, medical-marijuana-induced hunger pangs?" Administration officials insisted this made the Panda Express fracas a "nation-wide health care concern" that fell under the authorities granted to the President under the Affordable Care Act (AKA "Obamacare".) A BBC reporter asked which part of the embattled health care law gave the President authority to declare war on fast food chains. He was never heard from again.

As readers may remember, that conflict was finally decided in the hungry hyper-power's favour after the entire nation of China was killed by what medical researchers are calling an ultra-lethal variant of the smallpox virus specifically engineered to kill only people of Chinese heritage. When the American government was asked to comment spokespeople said "It's an internal Chinese problem. You know we don't like to get involved in other countries' affairs."

These developments have caused some concern in the UK, but Foreign Secretary William Hague said Britons have nothing to worry about because "everything we eat tastes like dogshit anyway."

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:
    @flabdablet said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    work in something about dingoes or putting more shrimp on the barbie
    That's "prawns", you nong. Only a nuff-nuff who believes we think Foster's is beer would ever say "shrimp".
    Nope, sorry. According to your embassy, it's "shrimp."

@BBC said:

The Ruins of Canberra, Australia Today Acting King of Australia Paul Hogan announced his country's intent to continue its "Buy One, Get One Free" deal on the popular Bloomin' Onion "Aussie-Tizer" through Memorial Day. Rumors that the promotion would end mid-April have led to tense negotiations between the island restaurant chain and the United States over the past few weeks. However that impasse appears to be at an end as United States Secretary of State and Fried Foods John Kerry assured reporters relations between his country and the war-ravaged producer of snack foods are at an all time high. The Secretary did not have time for an official comment as he was needed at the Grand Opening of a Five Guys in Ohio.

The situation between the two countries hit a nadir last year after an American consumer who requested a second pail of butter dipping sauce for her shrimp was charged extra. Assistant Night Manager of Australia, Todd Hobart, said that charging for additional butter pails was company policy. This did not go over well with United States President Barack Obama who said the extra fifty cents on the bill represented "a red line.. a salty-yet-sweet red line evoking subtle hints of mandarin oranges and high-fructose corn syrup with an aftertaste of FDA-endorsed Yellow No. 5".

Things took a turn for the worse in September when the United States government accused Australia of harboring the "wanted international terrorist" Frito Bandito, whom American authorities had been after ever since he reduced the size of a pouch of corn crisps by 0.7 ounces while still charging the same price, the goldbricking spic bastard. After the three hours of sanctions without Mr. Bandito being handed over, the American government launched seventy Minuteman III ICBMs at the antipodean nation, vaporizing most of the population instantly and leaving the survivors envying the dead. In response, the Australian Parliament-or-whatever-the-hell-they-have-down-there rushed through a bill to authorize the crowd-pleasing promotional offer on its country's flagship export--a genetically-modified four pound onion, diced into criss-cross pattern, covered in approximately a gallon of Budweiser™ brand beer batter, deep fried in coconut oil and served piping hot with a quart of orange-coloured ranch dressing. Hoverounds were lined up around the block even before the NSA announced the results of the upcoming vote.

However, relations began to sour again when rumor started that the promotion would soon end. Acting President of Australia Paul Hogan had this to say "Dear God you have to stop them! The Yanks are bombing our refugee camps with crates of those giant damn onions along with pamphlets telling us to 'Get to work limey'! We just want sterile water to cleanse our wounds and time to bury our rotting dead!! Oh God why is this happ--" at which point the American snacking authorities intervened to tell us that Mr. Hogan's government would be fully compliant with and responsive to the quite reasonable tastes of the energetic, jet-setting American consumer. They went on to state that Acting President Hogan finished with an awe-inspiring rendition of "God Bless America" done in a piercing falsetto to the frantic cheers of the Australian people who were moved to absolute tears at the occasion. When we asked if there was any video confirming these events, the American spokesman wordlessly produced from his briefcase a dossier on our reporters whose stunning breadth and attention to every distressing detail left our reporters absolutely convinced of the boundless probity of the American authorities. As always.

American investors were bullish on the news which sent Australia's share price surging in after-hours trading to $700 (USD) per-share, bringing the nation's market capitalization to over 380 quadrillion USD. This pushed the Dow Jones Industrial Average to a New All-Time High of 917 quintillion USD.

The row over the half-priced onion antipasti comes on the heels of an international incident between the United States and the People's Republic of China over the business hours of popular Asian food emporium Panda Express. During that week's crisis, President Barack Obama said that "Closing so early leaves millions of disenfranchised Americans with no place to purchase quality Asian food at everyday low prices. Why, the Panda Express near the White House closes at nine P.M. Nine P.M.! I've made caring for the poor the centerpiece of my Presidency; many poor people don't even roll out of bed until five, six o'clock at night! Now where are they going to go to buy two dozen egg rolls with their now-valid-at-fast-food-chains EBT cards? Panda Express refusing to stay open later is a red line.. a sticky, goopy, sweet-and-sour red line.."

The President went on to say "I understand that keeping the lobby open might be tough, but how hard is it to have a couple of people running a drive-thru window for those post-midnight, medical-marijuana-induced hunger pangs?" Administration officials insisted this made the Panda Express fracas a "nation-wide health care concern" that was covered under the authorities granted to the President under the Affordable Care Act (AKA "Obamacare".) A BBC reporter asked which part of the embattled health care law gave the President authority to declare war on fast food chains. He was never heard from again.

As readers may remember, that conflict was finally decided in the hungry hyper-power's favour after the entire nation of China was killed by scientists are calling an ultra-lethal variant of the smallpox virus specifically engineered to kill only people of Chinese heritage. When the American government was asked to comment spokespeople said "It's an internal Chinese problem. You know we don't like to get involved in other countries' affairs."

These developments have caused some concern in the UK, but Foreign Secretary William Hague said Britons have nothing to worry about because "everything we eat tastes like dogshit anyway."

I have no idea what you're doing in my Ruby on Rails thread, but I'd like to personally thank you for being here. Also, please do not invent a variant of smallpox that only affects TDWTF readers.

@TwelveBaud said:

The official reason they dropped it was because all three major browser codebases' first, gutteral reaction to Web SQL was #include <sqlite.h> and the W3C has some silly requirement about "multiple distinct, interoperable implementations" rather than accepting that SQLite is the god damn standard now.

Well, it's probably racist of you to think that people don't want to use their old BTOS/CTOS or AT&T 3B2 machines to web browse.  Never mind that you could probably compile SQLite on them.

• @Ben L. said:

Also, please do not invent a variant of smallpox that only affects TDWTF readers.

Don't worry, it's just terminal herpes, not smallpox. And I didn't so much invent it as I'm going around infecting each TDWTF'er individually.

• @TwelveBaud said:

...and the W3C has some silly requirement about "multiple distinct, interoperable implementations" rather than accepting that SQLite is the god damn standard now.

In a fight between SQLite and the W3C, there are no winners, only losers.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@TwelveBaud said:
    ...and the W3C has some silly requirement about "multiple distinct, interoperable implementations" rather than accepting that SQLite is the god damn standard now.

In a fight between SQLite and the W3C, there are no winners, only losers.

As long as one of them dies, then we're all winners. But with my luck, they'll overcome their hatred of one another and find love right there, on the field of battle. Then we'll have to deal with the unholy lovechild, XSQLite.

• @bstorer said:

As long as one of them dies, then we're all winners.

But then the victor will eat his opponent's brain to gain his fecklessness, and will become even more powerful than before!

@bstorer said:

XSQLite.

"A specification for describing abstract, XML-based, non-networked database libraries using Turing-complete XSLT transformations of XSQLite XML documents into a natively-executable XML format which runs on XVM, the W3C's new Virtual Machine constructed entirely from XML."

• @morbiuswilters said:

@bstorer said:
    As long as one of them dies, then we're all winners.

But then the victor will eat his opponent's brain to gain his fecklessness, and will become even more powerful than before!

@bstorer said:

XSQLite.

"A specification for describing abstract, XML-based, non-networked database libraries using Turing-complete XSLT transformations of XSQLite XML documents into a natively-executable XML format which runs on XVM, the W3C's new Virtual Machine constructed entirely from XML."

@XSQLite FAQ said:

XSQLite lets me insert a <column datatype="string" /> into a <column datatype="integer"/>!

This is a feature, not a bug. XSQLite uses dynamic typing. It does not enforce data type constraints. Any data can be inserted into any column, provided it is properly-formed XML and you provide a full schema to validate against. You can put arbitrary length strings into integer columns, floating point numbers in boolean columns, or dates in character columns. The datatype you assign to a column in the <create type="table"> command does not restrict what data can be put into that column. Every column is able to hold an arbitrary length string. (There is one exception: Columns with the xsqlite:INTEGER_PRIMARY_KEY attribute set to "true" may only hold a 64-bit signed integer. An error will result if you try to put anything other than an integer into an xsqlite:INTEGER_PRIMARY_KEY column.)

But XSQLite does use the XML namespace of the declared type of a column as a hint that you prefer values in that format. So, for example, if a column is of type INTEGER and you try to insert a string into that column, XSQLite will attempt to convert the string into an integer via user-provided XSLT. If it can, it inserts the integer instead. If not, it inserts the string. This feature is called type affinity.

• I hope it's not vulnerable to extensible cross site xsql scripting markup language injection!