Sql Constants!

• @Sutherlands said:

@RTapeLoadingError said:

@Sutherlands said:
    The quote you're referring to is "Perfect is the enemy of good,"

The people who couldn't remember the exact quote shouldn't have bothered posting anything.

Well mine was from a fortune cookie, and was an exact quote of that cookie, so I'm good then.
    My favorite fortune cookie ever said "in order to catch tiger cubs, you must go into the tiger's den," which, though helpful (if obvious) advice for tiger cub hunters, is not particularly relevant to the lives of Chinese food restaurant patrons in the Metropolitan Washington, DC area.

• @bstorer said:

My favorite fortune cookie ever said "in order to catch tiger cubs, you must go into the tiger's den," which, though helpful (if obvious) advice for tiger cub hunters, is not particularly relevant to the lives of Chinese food restaurant patrons in the Metropolitan Washington, DC area.
    Perhaps if you work at the National Zoo...

• @bstorer said:

@Sutherlands said:

@RTapeLoadingError said:

@Sutherlands said:

The people who couldn't remember the exact quote shouldn't have bothered posting anything.

Well mine was from a fortune cookie, and was an exact quote of that cookie, so I'm good then.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that maybe there is a deeper meaning here. A 'meta' reason if you will, that carries another meaning that somewhat relates. Hmmm... what's Greek for carry? Maybe we can invent some academic sounding word to describe this property...

• @DrakeSmith said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that maybe there is a deeper meaning here.

A deeper meaning? Bat hunting? Mole hunting? But you can't hunt moles out on the end of a limb, so I don't know what you're trying to say..

• @DrakeSmith said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that maybe there is a deeper meaning here. A 'meta' reason if you will, that carries another meaning that somewhat relates. Hmmm... what's Greek for carry? Maybe we can invent some academic sounding word to describe this property...
    Google Translate strikes (out) again.

The word you seek, μεταφέρω, is the first alternative translation given for "carry." However, if you try to outsmart Google Translate's penchant for sub-optimal results by forcing it to give you the dictionary form of the word (1st-person singular present active indicative - "I carry"), it presents an apparently random quasi-synonym, κουβαλώ ("I transport in a cart"), with no alternative translations offered.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@DrakeSmith said:

The word you seek, μεταφέρω, is the first alternative translation given for "carry." However, if you try to outsmart Google Translate's penchant for sub-optimal results by forcing it to give you the dictionary form of the word (1st-person singular present active indicative - "I carry"), it presents an apparently random quasi-synonym, κουβαλώ ("I transport in a cart"), with no alternative translations offered.

I don't know how you did it, but you people sucked the fun out of translating Greek..

• @HardwareGeek said:

Looks like using just the word transport in Google translate gets the correct etymon I was looking for. Hey, I took latin, not greek. And it was 15 years ago.

@morbiuswilters said:
    I don't know how you did it, but you people sucked the fun out of translating Greek..

Yeah, I'm loads of fun at parties. You should see me after a few drinks...

• @morbiuswilters said:

I don't know how you did it, but you people sucked the fun out of translating Greek.
    Well, I had fun translating it.

Except I just noticed, after CS won't let me edit them any more, that I made two typos (actually, the same typo twice) in my second tag. Should be ί, not ἰ, in both καταλαβαίνω and λίγω. Bah, that's hard to see at normal text size.

• @Sutherlands said:

@RTapeLoadingError said:

@Sutherlands said:

Well mine was from a fortune cookie, and was an exact quote of that cookie, so I'm perfect good then.

FTFY

• @morbiuswilters said:

@HardwareGeek said:
    @DrakeSmith said:

Where once there was fun / And now there is none / Something's been crunching / zeroes and ones