404 WTF

• That's a bizarre webpage error....hrm, government conspiracy? A covert White House mission to destroy this story?

Overall not a huge deal in my mind. Has anyone here seen "The American President"? One of my favorite lines in that movie was from (oddly enough) Michael Douglas who asks why people are so interested in something his girlfriend did a long time ago before he knew her and before he was president.

But the article was sure to point out certain oddities to make it sound like a government cover-up, like how parts of the report weren't filled out. Yeah because the police officers knew this woman would someday be the First Lady, they decided to sweep it under the carpet 37 years ahead of time.

I mean c'mon, a stop sign on a road with a 55mph speed limit?? Safety wasn't exactly people's #1 concern back then.

• [quote user="Manni"]

Has anyone here seen "The American President"? One of my favorite lines in that movie was from (oddly enough) Michael Douglas who asks why people are so interested in something his girlfriend did a long time ago before he knew her and before he was president.

[/quote]

Hey, I don't blame GWB for this. I blame GWB for many things, mind you :-), but not for what his wife did when she was a student.

Anyway, I find it curious how you can kill someone through negligence and not get charged at all. Provided the police didn't have a crystal ball, it is of course impossible that her becoming First Lady has anything to do with this. But family ties could well have played a role. You know, some people are more equal than others. I don't claim her family actively intervened, but anticipatory obedience is not unheard of.

A Bavarian politician killed someone while driving under influence and at least he got a year on probation for negligent manslaughter, plus a fine of 20,000 Deutsche Mark (roughly $12,000 back then). Still a soft punishment, though. The irony is that he later became the traffic minister of Bavaria, plus he was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit and the Bavarian Order of Merit medal.

Back to the actual WTF: You say it's not that bad... I've seen broken links, but a total of four 404s on one page, all in funny formatting and displaying strange error text 'tis unusual. And take a look at the source code. The 404 messages are embedded in a single HTML page. They're not caused by unavailable frames. There are nested "body" tags in there, too. Their CGI, ASP or whatever they're using seems to retrieve banner, navigation etc. as HTML pages from another (IIS) webserver or maybe the same, strip away some of the HTML formatting (without checking for any errors) and paste it into the generated page. That's pretty WTFish if you ask me, but then web developers may consider such things normal...

• Sorry I quickly dismissed the true point of your original post, which was all the 404 errors. Yeah it's kinda messed up. The page seems to be static HTML that points to specific files and servers that no longer exist. I guess in the six years since it was created that a lot has changed and they didn't make their webpages flexible enough back then.

And as for Mrs. Bush's lack of prosecution...hey this is America, if you don't have video evidence, sworn testimony from a bus full of nuns, and a hand-written signed confession, you can get away with murder. Or maybe because she was 17 and still technically a minor...who knows.

The REAL wtf is that we have a president whose wife was 17 in 1963. When are we gonna get some younger hotties in the White House???

• [quote user="Manni"]

The REAL wtf is that we have a president whose wife was 17 in 1963. When are we gonna get some younger hotties in the White House???

[/quote]

Your last president brought someone younger into the white house. That didn't work out too well.

• [quote user="themagni"][quote user="Manni"]

[/quote]

Your last president brought someone younger into the white house. That didn't work out too well.

[/quote]

Note the part in bold. She doesn't count, though it did make for some fun headlines.

• Just one comment

dupe

(just like Slashdot!) 

EDIT:

Okay, more that one comment: you guys are forgetting the Bush twins. TWINS! 

• [quote user="R.Flowers"]

you guys are forgetting the Bush twins.

[/quote]

I'd hit that.

• It always amazes me with this sort of thing the twisted role that age plays.

"Oh, they're 17? Well they're minors, we can't release the details." In comments I've read, apparently being 17 could have been a contributing factor to no action being taken, what withbeing a minor and all...

Funny how at the age of 17 you're deemed responsible enough to drive around tons of metal on a public road, yet apparently notheld fully responsible for your actions when doing so, and are offred some form of protection since you are a "minor". Truly absurd and WTF-worthy.

It's like my favourite legislation WTF. Here at least (and doubtlessly many other places) youare deemed "adult" enough  tohave sex at the age of 16, but are not consideredold enough to see someone else doing it on screen until you turn 18 two years later....

In some REALLY backwards parts of the world you're classed as an adult at 18 but can't go to a bar and drink alcohol until you're 21. So, it allegedly takes 4 years more maturity to handle a bottle of beer than it does to handle a 70mph one ton vehicle in public...

W
    T
    F
    !

• [quote user="themagni"][quote user="Manni"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm disappointed with that too.... not over what he did, mind you, but over the fact that the 'Leader of the Free World' got such ugly play. I mean, c'mon, he's got his own mansion, jet, an army on call, bodyguards... he can prank call any other country on a whim (Putin, is your 'fridge running?)... surely, surely he could get someone more attractive than what he did.