Australia's National Broadband

• @boomzilla said:

@Douglasac said:
    Well if you measure effectiveness of healthcare by life expectancy

Then you're doing it wrong. You guys are so freaked out by a few thousand boat refugees. Imagine if there were millions of them, and what they'd do to your health care system. And that's just one simple and obvious factor.

It's also completely irrelevant, at least as far health care efficacy goes, as I'm sure you know.

For the people who lack the ability to reason: life expectancy is impacted by numerous factors, such as suicide rates, homicide rates, accident rates, lifestyle factors such as obesity, smoking, drug use, genetic pre-dispositions.. none of which have anything to do with health care.

I don't know why I bother. People here react to facts like a witch doctor cowering before an MRI machine, pointing a spear at it. Which, now that I think of it, is probably a pretty good description of the Australian health system.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

@boomzilla said:
    @Douglasac said:
    Well if you measure effectiveness of healthcare by life expectancy

Then you're doing it wrong. You guys are so freaked out by a few thousand boat refugees. Imagine if there were millions of them, and what they'd do to your health care system. And that's just one simple and obvious factor.

It's also completely irrelevant, at least as far health care efficacy goes, as I'm sure you know.

Yes. I probably should have been more explicit, but it's one reason for varied life expectancy. OTOH, people in the US tend to do better than the people they left behind (economically and physically). I suspect the same is the case for Australia, but it's a very small sample with much less immigration.

• BINNED

@Douglasac said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    You're right, asking people to pay their own way is CRAZY! Hey, poor people, continue living in poverty so this entitled piece of shit can continue leeching off you!!
    Well, the alternative is a largely unskilled workforce with those who are skilled have a piece of paper saying they spent 4+ years learning things that may or may not be useful to an employer saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. I know which one I'd pick.

FTFY

Actually, the education bubble would have burst long ago here, assuming it developed at all, if not for government grants and subsidized student loans. It's been at least a decade since the average person here could feasibly work their way through college.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said:

OTOH, people in the US tend to do better than the people they left behind (economically and physically).
    It's principally a selection effect; the group left behind includes those who can't move (for whatever reason, but especially the stupid and indolent) and that's sufficient to distort the statistics. The US has to rely on just its domestic supply of lazy scum; for some reason, they're not keen on importing more.

Other countries with major immigration flows tend to see the same sort of effect. There are many nuances though.

• @dkf said:

The US has to rely on just its domestic supply of lazy scum; for some reason, they're not keen on importing more.

Other countries with major immigration flows tend to see the same sort of effect. There are many nuances though.

Um.. huh? The US has massive immigration, both legal and illegal. And unlike a lot of other Western nations, we have lots of lower-class immigrants; we don't only let in doctors and engineers.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Douglasac said:
    the bus

What the fuck? You mean those mobile apartments for piss-soaked drunks? Why would you do that?

How are you using the Internet? HoboLink?

I'm on a bus right now you insensitive clod. Though next month my office is moving to about 100m from a station on my line, can't wait to just relax on the train instead of changing. I don't know about your backwards country but we have mobile phone networks that provide data to handheld devices. The highest speed on 4G I've seen is over 80mbps, but neither my phone nor plan support such extravagance: I only pay $15/m for my connectivity, which includes enough credit (talk/text) and data for my mobile use. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/829089177

• Considered Harmful

@morbiuswilters said:

Filed under: Is there some kind of web site that only has incorrect information that you all read?

Yes

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dkf said:
    The US has to rely on just its domestic supply of lazy scum; for some reason, they're not keen on importing more.

Um.. huh? The US has massive immigration, both legal and illegal. And unlike a lot of other Western nations, we have lots of lower-class immigrants; we don't only let in doctors and engineers.

I believe dkf's point was that even lazy, low-class immigrants, legal or not, are more ambitious and motivated than the lazy low-class scum who can't be arsed to immigrate.

• @joe.edwards said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    Filed under: Is there some kind of web site that only has incorrect information that you all read?

Yes

That is what I immediately thought of as well.

• @Ben L. said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

Yes

That is what I immediately thought of as well.

Good, that's what I hoping to elicit.