Representative snippet

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

A portion of our codebase was outsourced to an offshore company. Their classes tend to span several thousand SLOC, and here is a good example of the typical quality:

char[] invalidcharacters = Configuration.Settings.InvalidItemNameChars;
    var processedName = name.Replace(",", "").Replace("'", "").Replace(".", " ").Replace("", "").Replace("(", "").Replace(")", "").Replace("®", "").Replace("&", "").Replace("!", "");
    processedName = Regex.Replace(processedName, "\\s", "spacespace");
    processedName = Regex.Replace(processedName, "\\W", "").Replace("spacespace", " ").Trim();
    processedName = string.Concat(processedName.Trim().Split(invalidcharacters)).Trim();

I am refactoring as necessary (it's too much of a timesink to try to fix everything, I just fix what's actively causing problems). This algorithm I can't change because it would break compatibility with several other modules that use the same algorithm (copy-pasta'd).

•  I'm halfway impressed they found 3 different methods to replace certain characters

and it's interesting that they replace . with a space

• @joe.edwards said:

processedName = Regex.Replace(processedName, "\s", "spacespace");

I found the WTF, it should be:

processedName = Regex.Replace(processedName, "\\s", "spacespace",RegexOptions.IgnoreCase);

"space invaders" -> "spacespacespaceinvaders" -> " spaceinvaders"

• SPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!

@Buttembly Coder said:

@joe.edwards said:
    processedName = Regex.Replace(processedName, "\s", "spacespace");

I found the WTF, it should be:

processedName = Regex.Replace(processedName, "\\s", "spacespace",RegexOptions.IgnoreCase);

That should take care of those uppercase whitespace characters.

• @joe.edwards said:

processedName = Regex.Replace(processedName, "\s", "spacespace"); ... Replace("spacespace", " ").Trim();
    I can't befuckinglieve it. How in the holy name of all that's based on Boolean algebra can someone think it's a good idea to replace a space by a word? And then replace that word by a space? Bloody hell.

@TGV said:

@joe.edwards said:

processedName = Regex.Replace(processedName, "\s", "spacespace"); ... Replace("spacespace", " ").Trim();
    I can't befuckinglieve it. How in the holy name of all that's based on Boolean algebra can someone think it's a good idea to replace a space by a word? And then replace that word by a space? Bloody hell.

Well, see, they wanted to replace all non-word characters (\W) and space was a non-word character, so the obvious solution was to use a character class pick a word no one was using and temporarily swap it in and out. Shame it doesn't round-trip when the content contains the word "space" (which is actually kind of likely given the context of where this is used).

• @joe.edwards said:

Well, see, they wanted to replace all non-word characters (\W) ...
    Sure, I got that. But the ineptitude! Not only multiple passes and trims and whatever, but using words to ... boggling.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.