Firefox, now with Ads!

• @blakeyrat said:

I don't use FF, but Chrome manages to do that just fine without an always-visible status bar.

If it's not always visible, I don't think it is a good status indicator.  A status indicator should require nothing more than moving the focus of my eyes.

I suppose you  might argue about what things are best put in an always-visible status indicator, but that's a different argument than the concept of an always-visible status indicator.

• @blakeyrat said:

@El_Heffe said:
    More importantly, the fact that it's been there since the earliest versions of Firefox and probably was there in the original Mozilla Suite that pre-dates Firefox, is good enough reason to leave it alone.

Right! And horse-whipping! People were whipping horses for centuries, so that's good enough reason to be whipping horses right now! I'm gonna go down to the local stable and cut a switch, FUCK YA. And slavery! If ten years of having a status bar is enough to establish it as a "thing that should forever be present", then we better fucking go back to holding slaves post-haste! Because, fuck man, we had tens of thousands of years of slavery, so that's like... a thousand status bars worth of "thing that should forever be present".

(Seriously, do you people even *think* about these posts before you hit the submit button?)

I have to give you credit.  Your level of stupidity and insanity never ceases to amaze me.

• @El_Heffe said:

@blakeyrat said:

@El_Heffe said:
    More importantly, the fact that it's been there since the earliest versions of Firefox and probably was there in the original Mozilla Suite that pre-dates Firefox, is good enough reason to leave it alone.

Right! And horse-whipping! People were whipping horses for centuries, so that's good enough reason to be whipping horses right now! I'm gonna go down to the local stable and cut a switch, FUCK YA. And slavery! If ten years of having a status bar is enough to establish it as a "thing that should forever be present", then we better fucking go back to holding slaves post-haste! Because, fuck man, we had tens of thousands of years of slavery, so that's like... a thousand status bars worth of "thing that should forever be present".

(Seriously, do you people even *think* about these posts before you hit the submit button?)

I have to give you credit.  Your level of stupidity and insanity never ceases to amaze me.

Hear that? Blakeyrat thinks software consistency is the same as slavery!

• @too_many_usernames said:

@blakeyrat said:

I don't use FF, but Chrome manages to do that just fine without an always-visible status bar.

If it's not always visible, I don't think it is a good status indicator.  A status indicator should require nothing more than moving the focus of my eyes.

I suppose you  might argue about what things are best put in an always-visible status indicator, but that's a different argument than the concept of an always-visible status indicator.

Personally, I think that we should just do away with status bars, and statuses in general, for webpages. If there is a problem that keeps the site from showing, just show the user a big, friendly :-(. Really, though, most people don't actually need a browser that can visit every web site, they just need the apps for Facebook™, Youtube™, Amazon™, and Google+™.

• @El_Heffe said:

I have to give you credit. Your level of stupidity and insanity never ceases to amaze me.

That is the argument you were making, correct? If you've done something for 10 years, you should never ever stop doing it... right? My level of "stupidity and insanity" aside here, correct me if I'm wrong.

• @Buttembly Coder said:

If there is a problem that keeps the site from showing, just show the user a big, friendly :-(

Why would a pictogram of a suction cup be associated with a site-loading problem?

@Buttembly Coder said:

If there is a problem that keeps the site from showing, just show the user a big, friendly :-(

Why would a pictogram of a suction cup be associated with a site-loading problem?

It's basically like ”Well, this sucks, doesn't it?„

No, that's the same argument. You don't have a bar of things if you don't have any things to put in it.

• @dhromed said:

@too_many_usernames said:

No, that's the same argument. You don't have a bar of things if you don't have any things to put in it.

By this logic, the proper place for a browser status bar is the notification area in the system tray.

• wat

• I honestly didn't know that Firefox even had a "new tab" page, probably because I configured it to be "about:blank" years ago and forgot about it.

I guess I've learned my obligatory new thing for the day.

• @Buttembly Coder said:

By this logic, the proper place for a browser status bar is the notification area in the Taskbar Notification Area.

RCTFA.

• @Quietust said:

I honestly didn't know that Firefox even had a "new tab" page, probably because I configured it to be "about:blank" years ago

Making a new tab shows the speed dial even if you have about:blank configured.

So I guess you never create new tabs?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dhromed said:

U is a wrong:

• @El_Heffe said:

The proposed changes to the "tiles" is no big deal. How often to you do a clean install of Firefox? Once you use it for a while the tiles will fill up with randomly selected sites you've visited any time in the last few weeks or months. And you can always turn them off and just get a blank page whenever you open a new tab. Although you'll probably have to Google it because it's not exactly obvious how to turn them off.

But ultimately, we all know exactly where this is headed. Sooner or later the truckloads of money from Google will stop showing up at Mozilla headquarters and that Vice President of Content Services is still going to expect to get a paycheck.

I've had Firefox installed for 2 years.

It's still a clean install.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

Serious question: have you ever encountered a UI change that you actually like?
    Yes (e.g., adding context help — with illustrated examples! — to everything in an application that is sanely selectable or which is a dialog box) but not in Firefox in the past few years.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

troll troll troll

@blakeyrat said:

Serious question: have you ever encountered a UI change that you actually like?

Lots. They tend to be the ones that improve the product without taking away features, making it look like a Fischer Price toy, or shoe-horning in ads.

I just discovered in Hotmail, you can checkbox a message, go down 20 messages, shift-click a message, and BOOM all 20 are selected. I don't know when that was introduced, but that's going to save me a lot of clicks.

The Windows 7 start-menu search is (sometimes) useful. I still don't like that I can't click START, then D and have My Documents open, though.

Twitter recently put the "retweeted by" byline on top of the message, so it reads more naturally-- you know this is a message retweeted by someone, by @whoever-- putting the tweet into context.  As opposed to an out-of-context tweet by @somestranger-- and at the end you find out it's a retweet. Of course, literally every single other UI change Twitter has made has been completely shitballs.

My car won't lock the door if the keys are in the ignition and the door is open. It's kept me from locking myself out more than once.

Gmail... nope, Google's completely on crack. Nothing good there.

Outlook 2013 has become functionally retarded, too.  Giving over 60% (rough guess) of vertical reading space to a "social panel" and a massive picture of the sender-- both of which are and always will be empty and thus usless-- plus hiding contact's email address under 2-3 clicks.  

Umm, end on something positive.  Hrm-- oh, I like how MikeTheLiar pallet-swapped your avatar. I was getting confused whenever I saw his posts.

•  

It is indeed possible to configure Firefox to show a completely blank page on clicking the New Tab button. At least in 26.0.

• @Lorne Kates said:

I just discovered in Hotmail, you can checkbox a message, go down 20 messages, shift-click a message, and BOOM all 20 are selected. I don't know when that was introduced, but that's going to save me a lot of clicks.

Welcome to every single listbox ever since 1985 ever.

@Lorne Kates said:

The Windows 7 start-menu search is (sometimes) useful. I still don't like that I can't click START, then D and have My Documents open, though.

It's for launching programs. My Documents (which isn't called My Documents in Windows 7, but that aside) isn't a program.

You can set up a keyboard shortcut to it by following the instructions in this post.

@Lorne Kates said:

Outlook 2013 has become functionally retarded, too.  Giving over 60% (rough guess) of vertical reading space to a "social panel" and a massive picture of the sender-- both of which are and always will be empty and thus usless-- plus hiding contact's email address under 2-3 clicks.

Just hit the hide button once ever, it'll save that and you'll never see it again. Cripes.

• Considered Harmful

@Lorne Kates said:

My car won't lock the door if the keys are in the ignition and the door is open. It's kept me from locking myself out more than once.

With my car I don't even have to take my keys out of my pocket. As long as the keys are within a few feet of the door or ignition, the car just works. It has a power button to start the engine.

Of course, once you start the engine, you can drive it until you stop it again, even if you take the keys away. It is now therefore possible to arrive at your destination with your keys somewhere else.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

@Lorne Kates said:

Hotmail WEBMAIL. Webmail did not work like that since 1985. You do know Hotmail is a webmail service right? Like, on the web. With a browser.  (A web browser-- used to browse the web).

@blakeyrat said:

You can set up a keyboard shortcut to it by following the instructions in this post.

So I have to follow a random internet post to restore functionality that used to be there?  You do realize that's pretty much my 100% entire reason for arguing AGAINST UI changes. I threw Win7 a bone. Don't take it away.

@blakeyrat said:

Just hit the hide button once ever, it'll save that and you'll never see it again. Cripes.

WRONG!  Well, for the Social Retard panel, perhaps. But you can't actually hide the big-as-fuck useless avatar in the reading pane. Not without installing an update, and collapsing the header in the reading panel-- at which point you lose all the other useful info in there, like the from: to: cc: lines (labelled and on seperate lines). You lose the date the message was sent. You still have the useless "Reply" buttons.  And you STILL cannot see a contact's email address without several clicks.

Please, in all seriousness-- argue this for me. What is the functional benefit from hiding someone's email address in an email program?  There's no way to format it to be Dude <dude@example.com>.  There's no way to hover over Dude and see in a mouseover dude@example.com. They're not even configurable. Tell me in what retarded world does hiding this fucking critical information become a Good Idea?

• @joe.edwards said:

@Lorne Kates said:

With my car I don't even have to take my keys out of my pocket. As long as the keys are within a few feet of the door or ignition, the car just works. It has a power button to start the engine.

Of course, once you start the engine, you can drive it until you stop it again, even if you take the keys away. It is now therefore possible to arrive at your destination with your keys somewhere else.

Yeah, modern cars are nice aren't they? Wasn't a huge of the push button start at first, but I've come around on it.

What car btw? I'm fairly close to buying a new car, and I need to choose between a new mustang, 3 year old SLK300 or 4 year old IS250. I'm starting to lean toward the lexus, because i've heard the maintenance costs are much lower than for mercedes. But man, if there was ever a time for me to buy a two-seater roadster, it's now; before I have a wife and kids.

• @joe.edwards said:

Having worked on these smart key systems for a few manufacturers, the ones I know will let you drive up to a certain speed, and usually only a short distance. For examply, it may limit you to twenty miles per hour for five minutes, just long enough to get somewhere safe, hopefully.

As a fun question, while the door still has a key hole, the ignition does not, but there is still a way to start the car even if the remote is dead. Do you know how on your car?

• Considered Harmful

@Snooder said:

What car btw?

It's a Prius. I ♥ my car.
    @Snooder said:
    But man, if there was ever a time for me to buy a two-seater roadster, it's now; before I have a wife and kids.

Yeah, this probably isn't the car you want.

• @joe.edwards said:

@Snooder said:
    What car btw?

My Fusion Hybrid gets almost the same MPG and kicks Prius ass.

• @blakeyrat said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @Snooder said:
    What car btw?

Yeah, Ford has really stepped it up in the aesthetics department lately. I wouldn't have traded my current car (2000 toyota celica) for the older mustang, but now I wouldn't be caught dead in any of toyota's offerings (no offense). Real shame too. I was planning to pick up an MR2 to replace the celica when it got old, but they stopped making them.

I also looked at the Scion FR-S, but it's got zero luxury options. No push button start, no navigation, no bluetooth. Lame.

• Considered Harmful

@blakeyrat said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @Snooder said:
    What car btw?

Yeah 27/37 is almost the same as 51/48.

• Considered Harmful

@joe.edwards said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @joe.edwards said:
    @Snooder said:
    What car btw?

I may have Googled Focus instead of Fusion.

• @dhromed said:

@Quietust said:

I honestly didn't know that Firefox even had a "new tab" page, probably because I configured it to be "about:blank" years ago

I'm referring to the setting "browser.newtab.url", which is distinct from the Home Page setting "browser.startup.homepage". Set it to about:blank and new tabs will become blank.

• @joe.edwards said:

It is not, but my Fusion is rated at 47/47, you fucking lying hack who just pulled easily-verifiable numbers out of his ass.

•  @Lorne Kates said:

@dhromed said:

U is a wrong:

I think the setting you meant to show me is called "browser.newtab.url", which is set to "about:newtab" by default, and which' tab is titled "New Tab", and the setting "open_in_new_tab" does not exist in about:config; at least not in FFX 26.

So I don't know what you're trying to demonstrate here.

• @Quietust said:

I'm referring to the setting "browser.newtab.url", which is distinct from the Home Page setting "browser.startup.homepage". Set it to about:blank and new tabs will become blank.

Yeah, just discovered that one. It'll probably improve performance as well!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dhromed said:

I think the setting you meant to show me is called "browser.newtab.url", which is set to "about:newtab" by default, and which' tab is titled "New Tab", and the setting "open_in_new_tab" does not exist in about:config; at least not in FFX 26.

So I don't know what you're trying to demonstrate here.

I is a two wrong. I meant browser.newtab.url.

open_in_new_tab is a setting from a Greasemonkey script I use. It defucks Google Search result urls, so that their href="example.com/thefuckingsite", instead of "google.com/spying_whores?url=example.com/thefuckingsite".

An unfortunate decision by the author was to ALSO set all the link's target to open in a new tab, unless you change that about:config setting. 

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

how the fuck does that justify hiding a contact's email address in an email program?

• @Lorne Kates said:

how the fuck does that justify hiding a contact's email address in an email program?

The link is obvious.

(Hint: the Fusion came with SiriusXM radio)

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Snooder said:

I also looked at the Scion FR-S, but it's got zero luxury options. No push button start, no navigation, no bluetooth. Lame.

My father-in-law was thinking of buying one of these things. Was going on and on about how it was just like a... I dunno, some other fancy car, except half the price. (I cars no well).  He's always made due with crudbox cars, just to get from A to B. Figured it was time to finally get a nice car. Maybe something attractive to members of the opposite sex. He even went to the dealership, got the fancy glossy pamphlet, etc.

My wife and I both thought the idea was-- not practice. He doesn't race. He's an extremely cautious driver. He wouldn't take it out in "bad weather"-- which, since we live in Canada, is 90% of the year. A huge use-case would be lots of storage space to drag equipment back and forth from the theatre.

We suggested a newly-used Hyundai Tuscon. Just the right cross of size, safety, fuel economy, reliability. And a third the cost. And it can be driven in the winter.

Lots of humming and hawing. He finally admitted the cargo space was good, the car (crossover) itself looked nice, drove nice-- and all things considered, women the same age as him would be far more attracted to a comfortable ride than a "sexy" ride.  Picked up an Tuscon at a good price with low millage, still under warranty. He's happy.

BUT just for the fun of it, he went back to the Scion dealership one last time to give the car a look, maybe a test drive.  We went with him. And just for the fun of it, I asked to see the inside of the trunk, because I was curious exactly how little cargo space this thing had.

The dealer went to open the trunk and-- well, this brand new, new-on-the-lot, "ultra fancy", very expensive car that barely had double-digit mileage on it. It's trunk was broken.

I think my father-in-law made the right choice.

• Considered Harmful

@blakeyrat said:

@joe.edwards said:

It is not, but my Fusion is rated at 47/47, you fucking lying hack who just pulled easily-verifiable numbers out of his ass.

Not so much a lying hack as someone who already admitted he pulled his numbers from the wrong place on Ford's website rather than his ass.

• @Lorne Kates said:

The solution isn't ads to pay for Mozilla's runaway expenses. They're a non-profit organization. They shouldn't be looking to make a profit just to pay for it's out of control salary bloat.  If you have cancer that is spreading through your body, the solution isn't "exponentially grow extra body tissue for the cancer to spread into instead of vital organs". You blast that shit with radiation & poison, lop off whatever body part you need to to survive, and stop taking your smoke breaks inside a nuclear power plant's sewer.

This is a good, if sad,comparison.

• @Lorne Kates said:

open_in_new_tab is a setting from a Greasemonkey script I use.

Ahh, I see.

• BINNED

@Snooder said:

What car btw? I'm fairly close to buying a new car, and I need to choose between a new mustang, 3 year old SLK300 or 4 year old IS250. I'm starting to lean toward the lexus, because i've heard the maintenance costs are much lower than for mercedes. But man, if there was ever a time for me to buy a two-seater roadster, it's now; before I have a wife and kids.
    I have a new Mustang. It's a lot of fun, but if you don't live in a warm-weather state, you'll need a second car for winter.

• @Lorne Kates said:

The dealer went to open the trunk and-- well, this brand new, new-on-the-lot, "ultra fancy", very expensive car that barely had double-digit mileage on it. It's trunk was broken.

I actually kind of feel bad for you if you think any Scion is "ultra fancy." Scion is Toyota's marquee for cheap-ass cars for poors and young people. Also, how the HELL did he manage to find an FR-S for $60k (3 times the price of a Tucson)? There aren't enough options in the world to jack the price by $35k off the base model.

But shame on you for killing his spirit man. Sure, everyone can just go out and buy a Hyundai. But what a sad and dreary world we'd live in if they did. At least get him into a Genesis Coupe.

See, this is why I'm getting the roadster now. I don't want to take the chance that when I'm 50 or 55 and looking to get whatever equivalent of the 911 exists then (probably still the 911) some well-meaning family member will convince me I'm too old to have a penis any more.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Snooder said:

some well-meaning family member will convince me I'm too old to have a penis any more.

Check your email. There are pills for this, now.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Snooder said:

I actually kind of feel bad for you if you think any Scion is "ultra fancy."

*I* don't think that. Me == Hyundai == "point a to point b"

@Snooder said:

Scion is Toyota's marquee for cheap-ass cars for poors and young people.

Yeah, that's basically what I decoded from the marketspeak in their ads on "This American Life".

@Snooder said:

Also, how the HELL did he manage to find an FR-S for $60k (3 times the price of a Tucson)? There aren't enough options in the world to jack the price by $35k off the base model.

His Tuscon (2009) ended up being $16k taxes in.  The FR-S after adding in taxes and bullshit "delivery fees" would have been around $40k.  So maybe not QUITE 3x, but close.

@Snooder said:

But shame on you for killing his spirit man. Sure, everyone can just go out and buy a Hyundai. But what a sad and dreary world we'd live in if they did. At least get him into a Genesis Coupe.

His criteria was cargo space, all-weather ready, affordable. It'd be his only vehicle, and he wouldn't drive it in the winter if it was a "sports" car-- which means he'd be (even more of a) hermit for 6 months out of the Canadian year.  He was balking at paying more than $20k for a car.  He sat in the Genesis for a bit. I did the math for him on monthly payments.  He picked the Tuscon.

@Snooder said:

some well-meaning family member will convince me I'm too old to have a penis any more.

.... ???  If you need car to have a penis, then you didn't have one to begin with.

• @Lorne Kates said:

His Tuscon (2009) ended up being $16k taxes in.  The FR-S after adding in taxes and bullshit "delivery fees" would have been around $40k.  So maybe not QUITE 3x, but close.

That's... There are no words. The msrp on the FR-S is only 3k more than the Tucson. Are you sure he wasn't looking at a Nissan 370Z?

@Lorne Kates said:

His criteria was cargo space, all-weather ready, affordable. It'd be his only vehicle, and he wouldn't drive it in the winter if it was a "sports" car-- which means he'd be (even more of a) hermit for 6 months out of the Canadian year.  He was balking at paying more than $20k for a car.  He sat in the Genesis for a bit. I did the math for him on monthly payments.  He picked the Tuscon.

So he was never going to buy a sports car then. Cause I don't think there's a sports car made that fits all those criteria. I don't think it's even physically possible to do so and still call it a sports car. Well, my Celica has decent trunk space and was pretty cheap when it was new, but the last time it snowed around here, my battery died.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@Lorne Kates said:

It's for launching programs. My Documents (which isn't called My Documents in Windows 7, but that aside) isn't a program.

@Lorne Kates said:

Actually, Blakey, you're wrong about the start-menu search.  In 7 (and probably Vista) it can search email, documents, and I think folders.

Here's one for the WIndows 8 haters:  In 8, the start screen seach WILL find the "Documents" folder if you type in enough (I have a shortcut called "Documentation" for some reason, so I have to type a little more than just D to get it.)

Hotmail did not used to let you shift-select multiple emails, although the feature's been in there for a while.  See, web pages don't generally use list boxes.  (I think I'm replying to a different post here, but I'm consolidating.)

In Outlook 2010, the hide arrow does NOT make the stupid and useless social bar go away permanently.

• @FrostCat said:

Actually, Blakey, you're wrong about the start-menu search.  In 7 (and probably Vista) it can search email, documents,

I like people who say I'm wrong, then rephrase exactly what I said.

@FrostCat said:

and I think folders.

It finds folders, but they're absolutely LOWEST priority so you basically have to type the entire name before it shows up, and even then you probably need to cursor-down or click to select it, because it won't be at the top. (Unless it has a really unique name.)

It actually will find Libraries and put them on the top of the list, but apparently only if you type the entire name. Weird. So if you're ok typing the entire word "documents", and you're ok working out of a library instead of a folder (practically, there's not much difference), then there you go.

• @FrostCat said:

In Outlook 2010, the hide arrow does NOT make the stupid and useless social bar go away permanently.
    You mean the "People Pane"? Yes, it's stupid and useless. View->People Pane->Off

• @HardwareGeek said:

@FrostCat said:
    You mean the "People Pane"? Yes, it's stupid and useless. View->People Pane->Off

Huh. I love the People Pane. Helps a lot when I get added to some meeting and I'm trying to figure who else is supposed to be there. Much easier to parse than going through the "to" field, especially when you have people with email addresses like <<longassfirstnameandevenlongerlastname@humoungousurl.com>>

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Funnily enough, on the topic of "how long will it take for Mozilla to fuck this up and screw with people's newtab setting"... I just got a Bugzilla notification about a status update about a bug I filed.

... about how upgrading Firefox causes newtab_url to be automatically set to about:fuckinguseless page...

... which was ignored ...

... and I got the email because people are still having problems with this ...

... two fucking years later (or, in Mozilla speak, 14 versions later)

[url="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=767960"]The slope started getting slippery a long time ago[/url]

• @Lorne Kates said:

Funnily enough, on the topic of "how long will it take for Mozilla to fuck this up and screw with people's newtab setting"... I just got a Bugzilla notification about a status update about a bug I filed.

... about how upgrading Firefox causes newtab_url to be automatically set to about:fuckinguseless page...

... which was ignored ...

... and I got the email because people are still having problems with this ...

... two fucking years later (or, in Mozilla speak, 14 versions later)

The slope started getting slippery a long time ago

This means Chrome is better, right?