Seagate hard drives have 120% failure rate

• @cdosrun said:

Let's call in "Annual" (for per year), "Failures" and to add an extra level of precision (Since most drives don't have this batshit high number of failures) "Per 100"

That way, we have 120 in the AFp100 column instead of 120% in the Annual Failure Percent column.

This is probably the least ambiguous notation I've seen so far.

• Considered Harmful

@too_many_usernames said:

@cdosrun said:

Let's call in "Annual" (for per year), "Failures" and to add an extra level of precision (Since most drives don't have this batshit high number of failures) "Per 100"

That way, we have 120 in the AFp100 column instead of 120% in the Annual Failure Percent column.

This is probably the least ambiguous notation I've seen so far.

If only there was some notation for this "per one hundred [or cent, if you will]" concept.

•  I'm still amazed at the number of people here who presumably went to college for a very math intensive field of study who have no idea what to do with basic math.

1) "percent" does not always mean "probability".
    2) How, other than a greater than 100% would you demonstrate that an event is likely to happen more than once? In this case, if a drive will fail once a year, that's a 100% AFR. If it will fail twice in a year, that's a 200% AFR. Not exactly rocket science.

• @Snooder said:

I'm still amazed at the number of people here who presumably went to college for a very math intensive field of study who have no idea what to do with basic math.

1) "percent" does not always mean "probability".
    2) How, other than a greater than 100% would you demonstrate that an event is likely to happen more than once? In this case, if a drive will fail once a year, that's a 100% AFR. If it will fail twice in a year, that's a 200% AFR. Not exactly rocket science.

Does it count as rocket science if the drives are used on a rocket?

• Could think of it in terms of employee turnover. I worked at a 400 person company, that had (no shit) 125% annual turnover. That means about 500 fresh bodies would be put through the meatgrinder each year, and we would still only be left with 400 at the end. Some would quit before lunch on the first day. No, not that industry, the other one.*

During my last 6 months there, I kept track of the AD accounts I created. It was in the neighbourhood of 260.

• @Nexzus said:

Filed under: *Debt Collections, if you're wondering

HOLY CRAP

Community Server put your tags in the right order.

• @Nexzus said:

I worked at a 400 person company, that had (no shit) 125% annual turnover. That means about 500 fresh bodies would be put through the meatgrinder each year, and we would still only be left with 400 at the end. 

So that's turnover, but for some reason people call it "probability", which is odd, to say the least. Even if your turnover is c125%, that doesn't say anything about the probability of a person entering and leaving the company in that year. It's possible that you were there the whole time and never entered or left the company in that year, and probability of turnover for a given employee would be less than 1.

• I own two of the "notorious" Seagate 1.5TB Green drives and never had a problem with them (updated firmware almost as soon as I got 'em, been going strong for 2.5 years). My fileserver is running 6x 2TB Green Seagates in RAID-5 and none of those have given me a problem either.

So I guess it boils down to how well or badly you treat your drives. Treat a desktop drive like a desktop drive and you won't have any issues, try to use it like an enterprise drive and it will croak.

• The obvious question is, why do you have six drives and raid.

• @Ben L. said:

@Nexzus said:

HOLY CRAP

There's a unicode comma you can use that CS won't recognise as a separator. Don't remember the code point off the top of my head, but I keep some lying around in a text file on my desktop for when I want to use a phrase with a comma in it as a tag.

• @DaveK said:

I keep some lying around in a text file on my desktop for when I want to use a phrase with a comma in it as a tag.

That character is right next to ಠ_ಠ in that text file isn't it.

• @DaveK said:

@Ben  L. said:
    @Nexzus said:
    Filed  under:  *Debt  Collections,  if  you're  wondering

HOLY  CRAP

Community  Server  put  your  tags  in  the  right  order.

There's  a  unicode  comma  you  can  use  that  CS  won't  recognise  as  a  separator.  Don't  remember  the  code  point  off  the  top  of  my  head,  but  I  keep  some  lying  around  in  a  text  file  on  my  desktop  for  when  I  want  to  use  a  phrase  with  a  comma  in  it  as  a  tag.

• @Ben L. said:

@Nexzus said:

HOLY CRAP

I'm pretty sure tags are shown in no particular order, which means they end up displaying in the same order they were added to the tag database.

• @Ben L. said:

There's  a  unicode  comma  you  can  use  that  CS  won't  recognise  as  a  separator.

You're probably thinking of U+201A "Single Low-9 Quotation Mark":

Now for the real question: Why did you write your entire post with fullwidth Unicode characters?

• @anotherusername said:

@Ben L. said:
    There's  a  unicode  comma  you  can  use  that  CS  won't  recognise  as  a  separator.

I never said that!

• @Ben L. said:

@anotherusername said:
    @Ben L. said:

I never said that!
    You quoted it and failed to rebut, so you conceded the point. Also, the CS quote feature is too smart for its own good. I highlighted the part of your post that I wanted to reply to and clicked Quote, and it didn't include any of the quote nesting.

• @dhromed said:

The obvious question is, why do you have six drives and raid.

Because I can.

• @The_Assimilator said:

@dhromed said:

The obvious question is, why do you have six drives and raid.

Because I can.

That'll do, pig.

• IBM has the solution

If you want to avoid the 120% failure rate of Seagate hard drives you obviously need to use these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822135045

Top Favorable Review

5 out of 5 eggs- Runs faster then Zeus's Lightning Bolt

- Was able to store my entire collection of Blueray 1080p 3D Seasons 1 and 2 of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic with excellent transfer speeds.

• Considered Harmful

@El_Heffe said:

my entire collection of Blueray 1080p 3D Seasons 1
    and 2 of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic with excellent transfer
    speeds.

Blakeyrat?

• @joe.edwards said:

MLP is in 3D?

You could probably generate accurate 3D info from the Flash layers.