Is my computer trying to phish me?

• So I noticed the "action center" icon had an X on it, so I clicked it.

This opened up my profile:

Why does Windows want to know my password? Doesn't it get that every time I unlock my computer?

• If I were going to design a phishing app for Windows 8, that's certainly how I'd make it look and behave.

• Do we really need to know your email (and name)?

• @alegr said:

Do we really need to know your email (and name)?

No, but since you asked, you can watch this video.

• @alegr said:

Yes, and also that he has a Chromebook and likes Go

On topic, I suppose there could be some legit reason why Microsoft would need you to enter your pasword, but the total lack of any explanation (there doesn't even seem to be a clickable "more info" link) makes this go against one of the basic security rules: don't randomly enter your password everywhere you are asked to.

I'd just cancel and try to sign into outlook.com via the web browser, and see if there is any more informative message.

• @alegr said:

We've been here before. Don't make him post that QR code again.

• @Ben L. said:

watch this video.

I think something corrupted the graphics of your game.

• @dhromed said:

@Ben L. said:

watch this video.

Yes, it has colours. Other than that looks perfectly good to me.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@anonymous234 said:

On topic, I suppose there could be some legit reason why Microsoft would need you to enter your pasword

When you log into Windows, it doesn't save your password in plaintext.  It's entirely possible one of their "value added" bundled services had its authentication token expire, and somehow couldn't sync back up with whatever NTLM whositswhatsit Windows 8 uses.  So-- "please reauthenticate".

Or it's a phishing scam. Is your computer trying to phish you?

• @Ben L. said:

@alegr said:

What the fuck. You put all your workshops and a bunch of piles in one room? Thankfully I don't see any beds in there, at least.

• @Ben L. said:

you can watch this video.
    2 hours long

I never thought I would find somethng more pointless than the SpectateSwamp videos.

•  ohhhhh I think youtube is only showing its superzoom scrollbar previews when the video is super long, like 2 hours.

That does not explain it total absence in some medium-length videos, though.

•  they start appearing at around 1 hour length I have noticed so the 59-minute vids are out of luck

• @El_Heffe said:

@Ben L. said:
    you can watch this video.
    2 hours long

His commentary track went missing, too. In fact, AFAICT (I didn't watch all 2 hours), there's no audio whatsoever.

• @garrywong said:

@Ben L. said:
    @alegr said:

What the fuck. You put all your workshops and a bunch of piles in one room? Thankfully I don't see any beds in there, at least.

The pile on the left is because the siege workshop is 5x5 and every other workshop in the game is 3x3. The ones on the right are cloth/leather because my dwarves weren't putting the cloth into the quantum stockpile.

• @anonymous234 said:

but the total lack of any explanation (there doesn't even seem to be a clickable "more info" link) makes this go against one of the basic security rules

I dunno. Would you really feel better if there was an explanation? I mean, if I make a phishing site, should I put a fake "about us" page in it?

• This reminds me, I had a spam email this morning where the sender address was my own email address. I almost opened it because I email notes to myself on a semi-regular basis.

• @mott555 said:

This reminds me, I had a spam email this morning where the sender address was my own email address. I almost opened it because I email notes to myself on a semi-regular basis.

That reminds me, I had a spam email two weeks ago where the sender address was my own email address, that I was going to post here because it was fucking bizarre.

• @dhromed said:

@Ben L. said:

watch this video.

Nah - it's well documented on these hallowed pages that Ben has used Go to create a Spectrum emulator that he then uses to write a NEMBMTAHOUMURPG(*) that allows him and other Go-based Spectrum emulator users, plus time travelers from the 80s (who own a Sinclair Spectrum), to view his game in all its Minecraft-matching graphical awesomeness.

(*Not Entirely Massive But More Than A Handful Of Users Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)

• @mikeTheLiar said:

@mott555 said:
    This reminds me, I had a spam email this morning where the sender address was my own email address. I almost opened it because I email notes to myself on a semi-regular basis.
    That reminds me, I had a spam email two weeks ago where the sender address was my own email address, that I was going to post here because it was fucking bizarre.
    One time a spammer was using my email address as the "From".  Apparently he was sending out a gazillion emails to  <font face="courier new,courier">every-possible-random-name@ibm.com</font>  and all the spam mails to nonexistant users were bouncing back to me. That certainly was annoying. Why IBM? I have no idea.

• @skotl said:

Filed under: Vodoo 3dfx is too advanced for me

Hercules monochrome FTW!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@skotl said:

Ben has used Go to create a Spect...

That's all I had to read. Ben, please write an implementation of SSDS in Go.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@skotl said:

Please write an implementation of Go in SSDS.

• @El_Heffe said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@skotl said:

Please write an implementation of Go in SSDS.

Is SSDS turing-complete?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@skotl said:

Nah - it's well documented on these hallowed pages that Ben has used Go to create a Spectrum emulator that he then uses to write a NEMBMTAHOUMURPG(*) that allows him and other Go-based Spectrum emulator users, plus time travelers from the 80s (who own a Sinclair Spectrum), to view his game in all its Minecraft-matching graphical awesomeness.
    Ah, if it was online with a Spectrum, it must've been a Spectrum with an Interface 1 added to it (as that provided network capabilities not present in the base machine). That makes it much more exclusive. Carry on!

• @mott555 said:

Probably came from your fridge.

• @flabdablet said:

@mott555 said:
    Probably came from your fridge.
    Or maybe not

•  Your "Microsoft Account" is different than your Windows Credentials...

• @TheCPUWizard said:

Your "Microsoft Account" is different than your Windows Credentials...

No it isn't.

• @Ben L. said:

Is SSDS turing-complete?

The author of SSDS isn't turing-complete.

• @dhromed said:

@Ben L. said:

Is SSDS turing-complete?

The author of SSDS isn't turing-complete all there.

• @Ben L. said:

@TheCPUWizard said:

Your "Microsoft Account" is different than your Windows Credentials...

No it isn't.

Of course they are... I login to my machine using an Active Directory identity "WizardLand\TheCPUWizard", my Microsoft Account is TheCPUWizard@example.com.   All of my Microsoft benefits are associated with my Microsoft Account (e.g. Azure). All of the security on my machine (e.g. in-house SQLServer's) are based on my Active Directory identity.  

There are many ways where these can be associated, but fundamentally they are completely independent. If I chose (actually the default) the local PC would have NO knowled of the Microsoft Account.

• BINNED

@El_Heffe said:

@dhromed said:

@Ben L. said:

Is SSDS turing-complete?

The author of SSDS isn't turing-complete all there.

That's the joke?

• @TheCPUWizard said:

Of course they are...

Are they still the same if I don't have an MS account?

• @flabdablet said:

@dhromed said:
    if I don't have an MS account
    Surprisingly tricky to achieve with Windows 8.1.

This observation from Mr Noel is entirely correct:

Same sequence most folks go through...

• Miss a few carefully hidden steps.
    • Become flabbergasted that Microsoft has made it worse than the OS it's replacing.
    • Figure out that there's nothing of merit in the Metro/Modern side.
    • Slowly and steadily discover 3rd party tools and configuration tweaks that bring the functionality you need back.
    • Start over with a clean installation, this time armed with more information, and get more things right this time.

• @dhromed said:

Same sequence most folks go through...

• Miss a few carefully hidden steps.
    • Become flabbergasted that Microsoft has made it worse than the OS it's replacing.
    • Figure out that there's nothing of merit in the Metro/Modern side.
    • Slowly and steadily discover 3rd party tools and configuration tweaks that bring the functionality you need back.
    • Start over with a clean installation, this time armed with more information, and get more things right this time.

Wow, they're copying Ubuntu that blatantly?