More Yahoo Mail WTFery



  • I open Yahoo Mail this morning, and about two seconds after the page loads it's covered with a black div and the message "Your session has expired." OK, I click the button to log in again, enter my password, and, nothing.

    I close my browser (who knows, maybe a session cookie is hanging around), and when I go back, get the same div/message.

    I open a private window; same thing.

    I switch from Firefox to Chrome; same thing.

    I go to a VM that's running a browser that doesn't save history; same thing.

    Apparently there's some server-side token that has expired, and now I have no web access to my email.

    Oh yeah, forcing people to work from the office is so beneficial.



  •  Cookies and sessions and logins vanishing is an odd an random process.

    This forum: never auto-logged out.  Ever.

    Another one: randomly. Sometimes the next day, sometimes after a month. It uses Vanilla, by the way.



  • Until you mentioned testing this on a VM (or heck, even with other browsers) I was thinking you were jacked. So Yahoo manages to make their service look like you've got a serious malware and security breach. Great.

    Unless it was a MITM attack. Of course, I just tried it myself and...yeah.



  • @Scribbler said:

    Until you mentioned testing this on a VM (or heck, even with other browsers) I was thinking you were jacked. So Yahoo manages to make their service look like you've got a serious malware and security breach. Great.

    Unless it was a MITM attack. Of course, I just tried it myself and...yeah.

     

    If you AdBlock the div and overlay, can you access your email?

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    If you AdBlock the div and overlay, can you access your email?

     

    Well, yes, it seems you can, although it makes the entire page go hazy. I don't care about my Yahoo account (and haven't for many years) enough to bother trying to get around it through the browser console.



  • My wife just tried.

    Visit yahoo, see her inbox- Screen goes black, a few seconds later some box appears, she clicks on it, new window, log in, new window disappears, original window returns to the inbox. Appears to do this every time.

    IE, no adblockers or other stuff.

    My guess is they messed up their cookie, plus their stupid log in box is getting blocked by AdBlock or Popup Blocker.



  • @cdosrun said:

    plus their stupid log in box is getting blocked by AdBlock or Popup Blocker.
     

    Check if the classname or id of the box is something that triggers adblock.



  • My mom just checked her email on her iPad and it works just like normal.



  • @Scribbler said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    If you AdBlock the div and overlay, can you access your email?

     

    Well, yes, it seems you can, although it makes the entire page go hazy. I don't care about my Yahoo account (and haven't for many years) enough to bother trying to get around it through the browser console.

    [color=inherit;display:none;displa\000079:inline]Security by giant black div overlay...[/color][color=inherit;displa\000079:none]There's probably another translucent div which you could also AdBlock.... are you unable to click through it?[/color]



  • @Scribbler said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    If you AdBlock the div and overlay, can you access your email?

     

    Well, yes, it seems you can, although it makes the entire page go hazy.

    WTF does that mean?

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @Scribbler said:

    Well, yes, it seems you can, although it makes the entire page go hazy.
    WTF does that mean?
     

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @Scribbler said:

    Well, yes, it seems you can, although it makes the entire page go hazy.

    WTF does that mean?

     

     

    It's Yahoo mail, so I guess that means it's working normally.

    I can't see the div, maybe it's already fixed.

     



  • I remembered that I have a Yahoo account that I haven't used in forever, so I dug up the username/password and . . . holy mother of what the clusterfuck . . . . .

    How can anyone even stand to look that that horrendous mess. And that's just the home page. I haven't even gotten to the email yet, which it turns out is just barely usable (no surprise there).



  • @El_Heffe said:

    I remembered that I have a Telligent browserhistoryentry that I haven't used in forever, so I dug up the web/browser and . . . holy mother of what the clusterfuck . . . . . . . . .

    How can anyone even stand to look that that horrendous mess. And that's just the home page. I haven't even gotten to the forum yet, which it turns out is just barely usable (no surprise there).

    CSTFY

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.