How... compassionate

• I can't take credit for finding this (a friend showed it to me), but...

http://www.lowesmoving.com/savings/hurricanebook.asp

WTF??? All we're missing here is some variation on "...and all I got was this lousy t-shirt".

• What, too soon?

• $25

• I don't get it. Clearly their intent is to publish a compilation of moving, inspirational stories about how people overcame adversity despite the horrific conditions and extreme danger, etc.

Somewhat trite for my tastes, but I know plenty of people will lap it up. But then maybe I lack the proper perspective, never having been in that situation.

• @Cloaked User said:

I don't get it. Clearly their intent is to publish a compilation of moving, inspirational stories about how people overcame adversity despite the horrific conditions and extreme danger, etc.

I think the point was, yes, they may want to do that, but then they come on like some radio DJ with "Blow us away!" and "who could forget... KATRINA?!" The language is a little crass for soliciting heart-wrenching, heart-warming stories about a disaster that is especially fresh in the America mind one year later.

• @R.Flowers said:

@Cloaked User said:
    I don't get it. Clearly their intent is to publish a compilation of moving, inspirational stories about how people overcame adversity despite the horrific conditions and extreme danger, etc.

I think the point was, yes, they may want to do that, but then they come on like some radio DJ with "Blow us away!" and "who could forget... KATRINA?!" The language is a little crass for soliciting heart-wrenching, heart-warming stories about a disaster that is especially fresh in the America mind one year later.

The fact that they're only offering $25 gift cards to those whose stories they choose to use is equally absurd.

Really, are you going to tell the story of how you lost your $200,000 home for a chance at a $25 gift card?

I mean, come on, these people are the victims of tragedy.  They're in need.  How about actually helping them?

• @Cloaked User said:

I think I would say, "Clearly their intent is to gather a vast mailing list of people who have had damage to their homes and need repairs/renovations."

But that's just me.

• @merreborn said:

@R.Flowers said:
    @Cloaked User said:

The fact that they're only offering $25 gift cards to those whose stories they choose to use is equally absurd.

Really, are you going to tell the story of how you lost your $200,000 home for a chance at a $25 gift card?

I mean, come on, these people are the victims of tragedy.  They're in need.  How about actually helping them?

Settle down there Marx; Lowes is in the business of making money. Why should they "help them"? Were these people loyal customers of Lowes? Are they even in need of help anymore? (They're not specifically asking for stories regarding Katrina.) Help them...

Victims? Everyone's a victim these days...

Just to take this over the top: let them eat cake.

sincerely,
    Richard Nixon

• @R.Flowers said:

@Cloaked User said:

Yup, exactly what I was thinking. And the whole $25 thing doesn't help any.