Microsoft: Do as we say...

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Everyone on the development team had to take and pass a Microsoft Technology Associate course this year.  Knowing full well that QA is not my strongest area, I took Software Testing Fundamentals. Got a refresher on some stuff I knew, and a good launching-point for some new concepts. Overall, not bad.

But there was this one section that talked about the importance of Localization Testing-- making sure to test your software using different languages, currency formats, character encoding, etc, etc. Why is that one term there in bold?  Well, you can get your certificate from Microsoft, either as a PDF download, or by ordering a print of it. But there's a (?) icon beside the Print ordering widget, which opens a tooltip popup, which says:

@CHARACTER ENCODINGS IZ IMPORTENTS TO TEST!@ said:

If the Certificate Manager tool is preventing you from clicking the Purchase checkbox for your certificate(s), contact your Microsoft Regional Service Center. (This issue can occur if an MCP’s name contains double-byte characters, which are not supported by our third-party distributor of hard copy certificates.)

On a lesser note, one of their training articles talked about the importance of doing QA before release, instead of releasing and letting your public do the QA (paraphrased) "even though some software companies are accused of using this as their primary business model".  Touche, Microsoft. Very passive aggressive touche.

• Seems to me that Microsoft is not the source of the fault because it is a third party that handles the data.
    I still wouldn't give MS a full pass on this though because apparently they know about it and chose that third party to fulfill the process anyway; or perhaps didn't fully test the third parties process before they got locked in through contract without some clause as a fully compliant system.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@KattMan said:

Seems to me that Microsoft is not the source of the fault because it is a third party that handles the data. I still wouldn't give MS a full pass on this though because apparently they know about it and chose that third party to fulfill the process anyway; or perhaps didn't fully test the third parties process before they got locked in through contract without some clause as a fully compliant system.

So you mean Microsoft didn't do their {ahem} {shuffle through notes} "integration testing"?  OH YEAH APPLYING MY KNOWLEDGE!

• Character encodings are annoying. Just send an image file, and you don't have to worry about if that is a degree symbol or a primera indicator or whatever other crazy things people call that teeny superscript circle.

• Do you not know what "third-party" means? Is that the WTF?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Do you not know what "third-party" means? Is that the WTF?

You don't find it funny that the vendor they chose for certificates for their training is so obviously in violation of the training? Racist.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Lorne Kates said:

Touché, Microsoft. Very passive aggressive touché.
    FTFY

• @dkf said:

@Lorne Kates said:
    Touché, Microsoft. Very passive aggressive touché.
    FTFY
    FTFTFYFY

• Now I'm half expecting to find that the payment processor they use for those certificate purchases is you-know-who.

• Considered Harmful

@Lorne Kates said:

So you mean Microsoft didn't do their {ahem} {shuffle through notes} "integration testing"?  OH YEAH APPLYING MY KNOWLEDGE!

Or they skipped User Acceptance Testing.

• @blakeyrat said:

Do you not know what "third-party" means? Is that the WTF?
    While that is third-party, I don't believe my MSDN subscription was handled by any 3rd-party (at least all e-mails I received were directly from Microsoft). They still managed to change č in my last name to è (which I have no idea how - it must have included converting to CP1250, then reading that as CP1252, but I can't imagine the process that would lead to that).

• @VinDuv said:

@dkf said:
    @Lorne Kates said:
    TouchA&#771ⓒ, Microsoft. Very passive aggressive touchA&#771ⓒ.
    FTFY
    FTFTFYFY

FTFTFYFTFYFY

• Considered Harmful

@Mo6eB said:

@VinDuv said:

@dkf said:
    @Lorne Kates said:
    TouchA&#771ⓒ, Microsoft. Very passive aggressive touchA&#771ⓒ.
    FTFY
    FTFTFYFY

FTFTFYFTFYFY

%20%26%2370%3B%26%2384%3BFTFTFYFTFYFY%26%2370%3B%26%2389%3B