Steam-powered Linux

• So Valve has their own Linux distro now. You can download it by going to http://repo.steampowered.com/download/ and choosing between a 960MB zip file and a 2.4GB zip file. Nope, no iso files. You have to make your own.

• Welcome to pre-alpha software. If you want a decent end user experience, come back in 6 to 12 months.

• Ok, so I logged in with my ultra-secure username and password (steam, steam)

SUCH A NICE UI

• @Ben L. said:

So Valve has their own Linux distro now.
    Two things came to mind:

Steampunk Linux, with various anachronistic, useless gizmos attached to it.

As bad as Steam-powered Linux sounds, disturbingly worse, frighteningly worse would be Origin-powered Linux.

• From what I've heard, SteamOS is Debian with Steam installed, configured to start up by default, and most of the other software removed. So if you want to try it, you can always do this:

1. Install Debian
    2. Install Steam
    3. Configure Steam to start up by default
    4. Remove most of the other software

Personally I think those Valve people are just reinventing the wheel: why make software to manage other software, when there's already an open standard for that? Just put the games in an APT repository and let the system handle the rest.

• Considered Harmful

@anonymous234 said:

Personally I think those Valve people are just reinventing the wheel: why make software to manage other software, when there's already an open standard for that? Just put the games in an APT repository and let the system handle the rest.

APT has DRM now?

• @joe.edwards said:

@anonymous234 said:

APT has DRM now?

If valve put the games in an apt repository, they'd each need their own DRM, which would defeat the purpose of Steam.

• The thing that SteamOS is actually doing, that most people miss, is it's defining a stable runtime for the games. Developers don't need to care "OMG libsdl-1.2.2 is installed, I need libsdl-1-2.5" because Valve has defined what you should link against. You can statically link if you desire, but they are defining what you're supposed to use in the OS.

• @anonymous234 said:

From what I've heard, SteamOS is Debian with Steam installed,

According to Slashdot they had to make a bunch of patches to the audio subsystem, because it kept choking while trying to play game trailers. Which is fucking pathetic.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

Which is fucking pathetic.
    Linux audio has been pathetic for a long time, due to something that looks like a war between different groups of audiophiles who were in charge of the audio drivers. But I didn't really care; I don't use Linux for it's audio prowess, but rather its ability to run a compute cluster.

• @HardwareGeek said:

As bad as Steam-powered Linux sounds, disturbingly worse, frighteningly worse would be Origin-powered Linux.

How about an Oracle-powered Linux?

BTW, why do they say "Steam-powered Linux". I know, word play, joke, haha, but isn't Linux-powered Steam a bit closer to reality?

• @blakeyrat said:

@anonymous234 said:
    From what I've heard, SteamOS is Debian with Steam installed,

According to Slashdot they had to make a bunch of patches to the audio subsystem, because it kept choking while trying to play game trailers. Which is fucking pathetic.

Linux is finally going to have audio? REAL audio? Audio where skype doesn't cause random static noise to play exactly 5 minutes after being started and I need to close it and start it again and that magically fixes it somehow, I mean what the fuck!? is up with that, I mean how do you even design a system where that kind of shit can happen, I mean I've seen my fair share of shit, but holy crap if Linux audio isn't like some gigantic cespool of badly implemented good ideas, badly implemented bad ideas and various other kinds of refuse, like with my previous motherboard I had some programs work fine, but others would have their audio garbled and full of static, but if you changed that there one magic option in pulseaudio, it would exactly reverse the situation - the programs with static would suddenly be fine, but the ones which worked suddenly sound like, I mean no they don't "sound", they scream obsceneties at you in the digital equivalent of the black speech, I mean I had to hire a fucking priest! Then I sold the mobo off after he got eaten.

At least Lennart's other project - systemd - is absolutely fine and causes no pain whatsoever.

• You forgot the rant and bad spelling tags.

•  Linux-powered steam.

• @Mo6eB said:

At least Lennart's other project - systemd - is absolutely fine and causes no pain whatsoever.
    :-)

• @gu3st said:

Developers don't need to care "OMG libsdl-1.2.2 is installed, I need libsdl-1-2.5" because Valve has defined what you should link against.

Developers that do that are stupid. You just link against libsdl-1, and put in the requirements that it must be 1.2.5 or superior. Or do you think Valve will never update their distro?

• @Mcoder said:

@gu3st said:

Developers don't need to care "OMG libsdl-1.2.2 is installed, I need libsdl-1-2.5" because Valve has defined what you should link against.

Developers that do that are stupid. You just link against libsdl-1, and put in the requirements that it must be 1.2.5 or superior. Or do you think Valve will never update their distro?

smart is not a criteria to be a dev for a game that gets put on steam

• @ratchet freak said:

• @dhromed said:

@ratchet freak said:

• @Ben L. said:

@dhromed said:

@ratchet freak said:

I predicted correctly that this would be the next post.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Hmm...

[code]Origin Ultima Linux Alpha 0.1 tty1[/code]

[code]login:[/code] HAIL!

[code]password:[/code] NAME!

[code]Last login: never[/code]

JOB!

BYE!

Wrong Origin?  Or just the right Origin but wrong century?

• @Ben L. said:

So Valve has their own Linux distro now. You can download it by going to http://repo.steampowered.com/download/ and choosing between a 960MB zip file and a 2.4GB zip file. Nope, no iso files. You have to make your own.

This is still more convenient than installing and configuring most other Linux software. Like fucking nagios.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Origin-powered Linux

$ sudo hallowed are the ori

• @emurphy said:

@HardwareGeek said:

Origin-powered Linux

Connecting to user@172.16.1.3...
    user@172.16.1.3's password: 
    Welcome to Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch) (GNU/Linux 3.12.0-7-generic x86_64)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/

System information as of Sun Dec 15 14:43:42 CST 2013

System load:  0.0               Processes:           68
      Usage of /:   4.6% of 60.90GB   Users logged in:     0
      Memory usage: 5%                IP address for eth0: 10.0.2.15
      Swap usage:   0%                IP address for eth1: 172.16.1.3

Graph this data and manage this system at:
        https://landscape.canonical.com/

3 packages can be updated.
    0 updates are security updates.

Last login: Sun Dec 15 14:43:42 2013 from 172.16.1.1
    user@ubuntu:~$ sudo hallowed are the ori
    [sudo] password for user: 
    sudo: hallowed: command not found
    user@ubuntu:~$ 

• @Ben L. said:

@emurphy said:

@HardwareGeek said:

Origin-powered Linux

Connecting to user@172.16.1.3...
    user@172.16.1.3's password: 
    Welcome to Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch) (GNU/Linux 3.12.0-7-generic x86_64)

System information as of Sun Dec 15 14:43:42 CST 2013

System load: 0.0 Processes: 68
    Usage of /: 4.6% of 60.90GB Users logged in: 0
    Memory usage: 5% IP address for eth0: 10.0.2.15
    Swap usage: 0% IP address for eth1: 172.16.1.3

Graph this data and manage this system at:
    https://landscape.canonical.com/

3 packages can be updated.
    0 updates are security updates.

Last login: Sun Dec 15 14:43:42 2013 from 172.16.1.1

• @Ben L. said:

EDUCATE THYSELF.

• @blakeyrat said:

Which is fucking pathetic.

You had the code. If you think it's so bad, why didn't you fix it yourself? Checkmate, atheists Windows.

• @DCRoss said:

Actually, the guy's name is Origen, with an 'e', kind of like Anne.

• @Jedalyzer said:

@DCRoss said:

Actually, the guy's name is Origen, with an 'e', kind of like Anne.

Filed under: who gets my ref?

Definitely the wrong century, by about 18.

• @TehFreek said:

Welcome to pre-alpha software. If you want a decent end user experience, come back in 6 to 12 months.

If a decent user experience defines non-alpha software, then Linux is gonna be alpha forever.

• @Ben L. said:

Ok, so I logged in with my ultra-secure username and password (steam, steam)

SUCH A NICE UI

Actually, what you see in the background happens on Windows too, but the window is normally hidden.  It's Valve's [url=https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD]SteamCMD[/url] installer/updater and the standalone version is used to install its dedicated server products.

• @powerlord said:

Actually, what you see in the background happens on Windows too, but the window is normally hidden.  It's Valve's SteamCMD installer/updater and the standalone version is used to install its dedicated server products.

First, starting a post with "actually," puts you in douchebagville as we've discussed before. Unless you want to sound like the biggest asshole know-it-all on the planet, I recommend you avoid.

Secondly, I assume you posted this thinking you were making some kind of point, but damned if I can figure out what it is. "That window appears on Windows too but is hidden" isn't a point. It's a mundane observation. I can't even slightly fathom why you thought it was worthy of our time.

• @blakeyrat said:

@powerlord said:
    Actually, what you see in the background happens on Windows too, but the window is normally hidden.  It's Valve's SteamCMD installer/updater and the standalone version is used to install its dedicated server products.

First, starting a post with "actually," puts you in douchebagville as we've discussed before. Unless you want to sound like the biggest asshole know-it-all on the planet, I recommend you avoid.

Secondly, I assume you posted this thinking you were making some kind of point, but damned if I can figure out what it is. "That window appears on Windows too but is hidden" isn't a point. It's a mundane observation. I can't even slightly fathom why you thought it was worthy of our time.

Maybe he was trying to point out that Linux isn't smart enough to not show you things you don't need to see.

• @powerlord said:

@Ben L. said:

Ok, so I logged in with my ultra-secure username and password (steam, steam)

SUCH A NICE UI

I'm pretty sure that Ben L. was talking about the cancer-inducing font in the dialog box. As well as the fact that a CLI script somehow feels the need to popup a window telling you EXACTLY THE SAME THING that the CLI is. It's almost like the guys who coded SteamCMD are retarOH WAIT:

@SteamCMD page said:

If you get the 'No subscription' error you will need to enter your steam username and password to allow authentication to the steamCMD system. It is a good idea to create a new Steam username just for the server as the username and password displays as clear text.

As an aside, has anyone heard from Richard Stallman lately, or did he wank himself to death in protest against Steam on Linux? I'm hoping he did, because that would be the most useful thing he's ever done.

• @El_Heffe said:

Maybe he was trying to point out that Linux isn't smart enough to not show you things you don't need to see.
    It's actually easier to hide the console on X than on Windows (when a Windows program is marked as console-mode, it'll open the window unless you do handle redirection yourself first; running a console program in X will not open a terminal - if one wasn't open already, you won't see it's output).

• Considered Harmful

@ender said:

@El_Heffe said:
    It's Aaactually, it's easier to hide the console on X than on Windows (when a Windows program is marked as console-mode, it'll open the window unless you do handle redirection yourself first; running a console program in X will not open a terminal - if one wasn't open already, you won't see it's output).

DTFY