TRWTF is using Yahoo Mail

• Especially since Marissa Mayer turned it into a buggy imitation of GMail. But really, who thought up these inane empty-folder messages? It's like being dropped into a Skinner box: delete spam and you get a cookie.

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/3150o05.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/soslsk.png[/IMG]

I wonder what the messages are for other folders. Perhaps an empty inbox gets "You must be a very lonely person"?

• Do they still do the wtf-tabbed-browsing-within-a-tab thing instead of just not breaking regular tabbed browsing in the first place?

•  @Vempele said:

Do they still do the wtf-tabbed-browsing-within-a-tab thing instead of just not breaking regular tabbed browsing in the first place?

No. Now it just breaks tabbed browsing, without caring about replacing it with anything.

• Say what you will about Yahoo mail, at least it doesn't force you to join G+, auto logs you into some chat thing so everybody immediatly knows if you're online, asks for your phone number every 5 minutes, changes interface once a week, reorganizes your inbox however the fuck it wants, hijacks your images or silently sells your children to slavery like GMail.

• @veggen said:

changes interface once a week

That'd be yahoo, not gmail.
    @veggen said:
    auto logs you into some chat thing so everybody immediatly knows if you're online

Yahoo.
    @veggen said:
    hijacks your images

What?
    @veggen said:
    silently sells your children to slavery

Yeah, gmail does that. It's a small price to pay, though.

• @veggen said:

auto logs you into some chat thing so everybody immediatly knows if you're online

• @Zecc said:

I was curious if that image was from Gmail or Yahoo mail, since it also has a "chat thing", so I signed on in both to compare them (I don't use the web interface). Turns out the menus are pretty much identical. Here's the yahoo one:

I am a bit pissed off at yahoo to be honest, because I hate it when someone ruins a product that could have been good with a few obviously bad design choices. Like hiding folders by default (wtf). With the same amount of work that went to this new interface they could have made a product that was genuinely better than gmail.

• @Ben L. said:

@veggen said:
    silently sells your children to slavery
    Yeah, gmail does that. It's a small price to pay, though.
    Exactly. After all, you can always make new ones.

• @Ben L. said:

@veggen said:
    changes interface once a week

That'd be yahoo, not gmail.

Yes, since Gmail most definitely didn't hide my formatting buttons, and definitely didn't start rearranging my emails because it knows better, and definitely didn't make super tiny composing windows etc all mere months in between.
    @Ben L. said:
    @veggen said:

Yahoo.

Huh? What? I never logged in to the Yahoo messenger and it never made me do it. Gmail makes sure to re-log me every time I delete cookies.
    @Ben L. said:
    @veggen said:
    hijacks your images

What?

You didn't notice? All images in email you receive are magically transferred to Google's server before being displayed to you, as opposed to being displayed from its actual location. Why? Security, of course! Definitely not collecting data without asking you. More info here

• @Zecc said:

@veggen said:

Yes, and then you delete cookies and oh look! you're available and ready again!

• @veggen said:

I didn't know that. That sucks. It also means auto-login when on a new computer.

• @Zecc said:

@veggen said:

I didn't know that. That sucks. It also means auto-login when on a new computer.

He's lying. Global settings are not stored in a cookie.

• Considered Harmful

@veggen said:

You didn't notice? All images in email you receive are magically transferred to Google's server before being displayed to you, as opposed to being displayed from its actual location. Why? Security, of course! Definitely not collecting data without asking you. More info here

You know, I'm not under any delusions about trusting Google with my data, but this feature seems valid. Most (all?) marketing messages have some kind of tracking to see when they were opened and by whom. They usually do this by having images (since there's no JS in email clients) with special URLs containing some kind of unique identifier. Most email clients don't show images by default so this information is not sent back to the advertiser. It sounds like Google is loading the tracking images for you and then serving them up statically so the sender can't track you so Google can track you instead of the sender.

• @joe.edwards said:

@veggen said:

You know, I'm not under any delusions about trusting Google with my data, but this feature seems valid. Most (all?) marketing messages have some kind of tracking to see when they were opened and by whom. They usually do this by having images (since there's no JS in email clients) with special URLs containing some kind of unique identifier. Most email clients don't show images by default so this information is not sent back to the advertiser. It sounds like Google is loading the tracking images for you and then serving them up statically so the sender can't track you so Google can track you instead of the sender so the sender can't track you.

Google doesn't get anything from the proxy. It's all for the users. If Google wants to know what emails you're reading, they don't need silly images. They're the ones who fucking run the service!

• Considered Harmful

@Ben L. said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @veggen said:

You know, I'm not under any delusions about trusting Google with my data, but this feature seems valid. Most (all?) marketing messages have some kind of tracking to see when they were opened and by whom. They usually do this by having images (since there's no JS in email clients) with special URLs containing some kind of unique identifier. Most email clients don't show images by default so this information is not sent back to the advertiser. It sounds like Google is loading the tracking images for you and then serving them up statically so the sender can't track you so Google can track you instead of the sender so the sender can't track you.

Google doesn't get anything from the proxy. It's all for the users. If Google wants to know what emails you're reading, they don't need silly images. They're the ones who fucking run the service!

Yeah, I got that. It's just that it makes Google's concern for your "privacy" seem disingenuous.

• @Ben L. said:

Well, one argument I've heard is that this makes email marketing a lot less profitable. Which means companies are going to spend their money on web advertisements instead. Which is where the vast majority of Google's revenue comes from.

• Considered Harmful

@anonymous234 said:

@Ben L. said:

Well, one argument I've heard is that this makes email marketing a lot less profitable. Which means companies are going to spend their money on web advertisements instead. Which is where the vast majority of Google's revenue comes from.

He who controls the personal browsing and searching data controls the universe.

• @Ben L. said:

@Zecc said:

@veggen said:

He's lying. Global settings are not stored in a cookie.

No, I'm not lying, you're deliberately misinterpreting what I've said. I put the freakin' image of logging out from chat before saying deleting cookies negates it, and you go and put the image of changing global settings and say I'm lying. How are those two scenarios even related?

It's equivalent to doing this:

@Ben L. said:

@someone said:
    The holocaust happened.

He's lying!

See the problem?!

No wonder blakey got insane on these forums...

• @veggen said:

It's equivalent to doing this:

@veggen said:

@someone said:
    The holocaust happened.

He's lying!

See the problem?!

No wonder blakey got insane on these forums...

Are you secretly blakeyrat? You seem to be more clueless somehow.

You said that the chat un-disabled itself when you cleared your cookies. I showed you the correct place to disable chat. You interpreted that as godwin's law.