I think the Safari Developer Library is calling me a hillbilly

• [img]http://i.imgur.com/CHfOieo.png[/img]

"Your uncle is your father's brother." ... my mother's brothers (my uncles) are also my father's brothers? Sounds like a strange family.

Sigh... writing good documentation is hard.

• Implied "in-law"

• @Zemm said:

Implied "in-law"
    If you can flip it around and get an implied in-law that makes everything fine, then you should be able to flip it around again and say that your father's brother-in-law's sister-in-law is your aunt.

• I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

• @anotherusername said:

"Your uncle is your father's brother." ... my mother's brothers (my uncles) are also my father's brothers?

And your father's sisters' husbands and your mother's sisters husbands.@anotherusername said:
    Sounds like a strange family.

Indeed.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@anotherusername said:

"Your uncle is your father's brother." ... my mother's brothers (my uncles) are also my father's brothers?

And your father's sisters' husbands and your mother's sisters husbands.

My father's sister's husbands and my mother's sister's husbands would all be my uncles (if my father and mother both had sisters who were married to men). However, not all of my uncles are my father's brothers. Some of them are my mother's brothers.

"all X are also Y" does not imply "all Y are also X". Common (sic) people, logic isn't that hard.

• @anotherusername said:

"all X are also Y" does not imply "all Y are also X". Common (sic) people, logic isn't that hard.

Of course. I thought that is what you were poking fun at, by implying the opposite. It is certainly what I was poking fun at.

• @mott555 said:

I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

What does that make us?

• @mott555 said:

So what does that make us?

• @mikeTheLiar said:

@mott555 said:

People who have watched the same movie?

• If a man and woman get married in West Virgina and then get divorced in California, are they still legally brother and sister?

• @DCRoss said:

@mikeTheLiar said:

@mott555 said:

People who have watched the same movie?

Which is what you are about to become!

Wait, what?

• @El_Heffe said:

If a man and woman get married in West Virgina and then get divorced in California, are they still legally brother and sister?
    Sorry to spoil the stereotype and joke with facts, but West Virgina is less legally tolerant1 of close-relative marriages than much of the rest of the world. It is one of the 302 US states that forbids 1st cousins (never mind brothers and sisters) from marrying. It is not as restrictive as some states (it is a criminal offense in 8 states), but there are 202 states in which it is legal. BTW, cousin marriage is legal in every other country in the Americas, western Europe, most of eastern Europe, Russia, northern Africa, Middle East, southern Africa, Australia, Japan, ...

1 Of course, legal tolerance and cultural tolerance are not always perfectly aligned.

2 Five states straddle the fence, either forbidding it with exceptions or allowing it with restrictions.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@El_Heffe said:
    If a man and woman get married in West Virgina and then get divorced in California, are they still legally brother and sister?
    Sorry to spoil the stereotype and joke with facts, but West Virgina is less legally tolerant1 of close-relative marriages than much of the rest of the world. It is one of the 302 US states that forbids 1st cousins (never mind brothers and sisters) from marrying. It is not as restrictive as some states (it is a criminal offense in 8 states), but there are 202 states in which it is legal. BTW, cousin marriage is legal in every other country in the Americas, western Europe, most of eastern Europe, Russia, northern Africa, Middle East, southern Africa, Australia, Japan, ...

1 Of course, legal tolerance and cultural tolerance are not always perfectly aligned.

2 Five states straddle the fence, either forbidding it with exceptions or allowing it with restrictions.

It had to be legal in Europe and everywhere else. That was the only way "Royalty" could survive. Otherwise they'd all be "in and out laws".

• @HardwareGeek said:

Sorry to spoil the stereotype and joke with facts
    You must really be a lot of fun at parties

• @mott555 said:

Brothers and sisters have I none, but that man's father is my father's goat.

• @anotherusername said:

"Your uncle is your father's brother." ... my mother's brothers (my uncles) are also my father's brothers? Sounds like a strange family.

Sigh... writing good documentation is hard.

console.warn("I am going to tell you something that only I and your mother know.");
    console.info("You are a dwarf.");
    console.error("/usr/bin/moltvick: What?");
    console.info("Everything in this house has been made to scale. You are only 48 inches tall.");
    console.error("/usr/bin/moltvick: Don’t, don’t! The pains are returning!");

• @anotherusername said:

Common (sic) people, logic isn't that hard.
    I don't think there are many "common people" in this forum.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@anotherusername said:

And your father's sisters' husbands and your mother's sisters husbands.
    And, these days, your mother's brothers' husbands and father's brothers' husbands.

• @Anonymouse said:

@anotherusername said:

Common (sic) people, logic isn't that hard.
    I don't think there are many "common people" in this forum.

It was a joke. Relax!

•  My father was an only child.  So was my mother.  I have no uncles.

• @da Doctah said:

My father was an only child.  So was my mother.  I have no uncles.

Well, since your uncles (if they existed) would be your father's brothers, and your mother would be their sister (-in-law), your father is your uncle because he is your uncles' sister's husband (if you had uncles). Or, to put it another way, your father is your mother's brother, so he is also your uncle. I hope that helps clear things up.

• Just to muddy the waters even further, I know two girls who are (legally) married to their brother-in-laws.

• @anotherusername said:

Just to muddy the waters even further, I know two girls who are (legally) married to their brothers-in-law.

FTFY

• @Ben L. said:

@anotherusername said:
    Just to muddy the waters even further, I know two girls who are (legally) married to their brothers-in-law.

FTFY
    Luckily you knew what I meant, probably unlike if I'd said they are married to their brothers.

• @HardwareGeek said:

It is one of the 302 US states

Wow, if 900 states forbids it, how may are there in total?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Mcoder said:

@HardwareGeek said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

1. ("fifty...seven states" he's been to, one he hasn't, and he wasn't allowed to go to Alaska or Hawaii)

(No, he didn't say there were 57 states, he said he'd been to that many.)

• @FrostCat said:

@Mcoder said:

@HardwareGeek said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

1. ("fifty...seven states" he's been to, one he hasn't, and he wasn't allowed to go to Alaska or Hawaii)

(No, he didn't say there were 57 states, he said he'd been to that many.)

states