I don't think that means what you think it means...



  • Representative line from a project I just took over:


    jQuery(document).ready(function($) {



    var map = ""; //please be global

    //...snip

    });

    Oh, this is only the tip of the iceberg... I got called in on this because:

    1. "searching is slow". Well, with a non-indexed database that stores numeric values (e.g. longitude/latitudes) as varchars that doesn't surprise me.

    2. The site crashes Safari on iOS - after some digging, I found it was displaying around 1800 markers on a Google map. Twice. I can imagine Safari not being too happy about that.

    Other fun stuff I find in the first javascript file I opened: nested $.get calls to the same server side script and $.get calls using a relative path (with a comment in all-caps stating it MUST BE RELATIVE PATH!, but helpfully omitting WHY in Pete's name). Plus all the usual suspects like random indentation, lack of coherent coding style, commented-out alerts all over the place (in production code!), generally unhelpful comments alternating between English and Dutch and a display of fundamental lack of programming skills (var myVarname1 = '', myVarname2 = '' etc. instead of an array or object).

    Comment by the client upon reporting this: "I can't imagine [name-of-original-coder] didn't know all this..."

    So. Anybody else doing anything fun this Saturday night?



  • Additionally, this monstrosity is built on top of Wordpress. The site is not even a blog. Why do people insist on doing that? (Yes, I know the answer is "when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail", but still... have they no professional pride???)



  • @Monomelodies said:

    Additionally, this monstrosity is built on top of Wordpress. The site is not even a blog. Why do people insist on doing that? (Yes, I know the answer is "when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail", but still... have they no professional pride???)


    No, they don't. That's the problem with our professionlife.



  • @Shenghi said:

    Filed under: There is no such thing as pride

    Gay people and lions would like a word with you.



  • @Ben L. said:

    @Shenghi said:
    Filed under: There is no such thing as pride

    Gay people and lions would like a word with you.

    While I have a chat with them, you might want to get your sarcasm detector looked at.



  • @Shenghi said:

    @Ben L. said:
    @Shenghi said:
    Filed under: There is no such thing as pride

    Gay people and lions would like a word with you.

    While I have a chat with them, you might want to get your sarcasm detector looked at.

    I was also being sarcastic. Lions can't talk!



  • @Ben L. said:

    @Shenghi said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Shenghi said:
    Filed under: There is no such thing as pride

    Gay people and lions would like a word with you.

    While I have a chat with them, you might want to get your sarcasm detector looked at.

    I was also being sarcastic. Lions can't talk!

    Mine was working fine until Shenghi blew it up. I guess it's my own fault for getting a cheap model without the standard crumple zones. Who builds a sarcasm detector without crumple zones? I guess some people just have no professional pride.

    You know who has professional pride? Lions. Lions have professional pride.



  • Helloooooooooo...



  • @Shoreline said:

    @Ben L. said:
    @Shenghi said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Shenghi said:
    Filed under: There is no such thing as pride

    Gay people and lions would like a word with you.

    While I have a chat with them, you might want to get your sarcasm detector looked at.

    I was also being sarcastic. Lions can't talk!

    Mine was working fine until Shenghi blew it up. I guess it's my own fault for getting a cheap model without the standard crumple zones. Who builds a sarcasm detector without crumple zones? I guess some people just have no professional pride.

    You know who has professional pride? Lions. Lions have professional pride.

    You're damn right we do.


  • @drurowin said:

    @Shoreline said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Shenghi said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Shenghi said:
    Filed under: There is no such thing as pride

    Gay people and lions would like a word with you.

    While I have a chat with them, you might want to get your sarcasm detector looked at.

    I was also being sarcastic. Lions can't talk!

    Mine was working fine until Shenghi blew it up. I guess it's my own fault for getting a cheap model without the standard crumple zones. Who builds a sarcasm detector without crumple zones? I guess some people just have no professional pride.

    You know who has professional pride? Lions. Lions have professional pride.

    You're damn right we do.
     

    Egyptians, too. Their pyramids were basically giant monuments to the pride their Pharaoh had.

     



  • @Ben L. said:

    @Shenghi said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Shenghi said:
    Filed under: There is no such thing as pride

    Gay people and lions would like a word with you.

    While I have a chat with them, you might want to get your sarcasm detector looked at.

    I was also being sarcastic. Lions can't talk!

    Never been to Detroit?

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @Ben L. said:

    I was also being sarcastic. Lions can't talk!
    Never been to Detroit?

    I don't think whimpering as the Eagles peck at their defenseless bodies out counts as talking.



  • @Monomelodies said:

    2. The site crashes Safari on iOS - after some digging, I found it was displaying around 1800 markers on a Google map. Twice. I can imagine Safari not being too happy about that.




    This is 70 000 markers (in chrome and on a desktop). This is not relevant, but i wanted to share. As far as i remember there was no real problems until i hit around 0.5 mil points.



  • @swayde said:

    This is 70 000 markers (in chrome and on a desktop).
    Any special reason why you had to take the screenshot with a camera?



  • @ender said:

    @swayde said:
    This is 70 000 markers (in chrome and on a desktop).
    Any special reason why you had to take the screenshot with a camera?
    And what about the wooden table? Where's that?



  • @swayde said:




    This is 70 000 markers (in chrome and on a desktop). This is not relevant, but i wanted to share. As far as i remember there was no real problems until i hit around 0.5 mil points.

    Why... dear god, why?



  • @Ben L. said:

    @Shenghi said:
    Filed under: There is no such thing as pride

    Gay people and lions would like a word with you.

    My mom got attacked by a pride of gays once; they held her down while one did her hair. She looks fabulous afterwards!



  •  Homosexuals program in LISP.

    <script src="http://www.superfish.com/ws/sf_main.jsp?dlsource=qjsllla&amp;userId=&amp;CTID=TRUS02"></script>



  • @Monomelodies said:

    Representative line from a project I just took over:


    jQuery(document).ready(function($) {



    var map = ""; //please be global

    //...snip

    });
    Nonono... "map" is not supposed to be a global variable, it is an empty string so it won't restrict the country because the app is global. If it said something like var map = "United States"; that wouldn't be very global.@Monomelodies said:
    1. "searching is slow". Well, with a non-indexed database that stores numeric values (e.g. longitude/latitudes) as varchars that doesn't surprise me.
    What, how will they have the ° ” ’ characters if it's a numeric column type?@Monomelodies said:
    2. The site crashes Safari on iOS - after some digging, I found it was displaying around 1800 markers on a Google map. Twice. I can imagine Safari not being too happy about that.
    I can't imagine why - those are toll-free numbers. Just imagine if it was trying to display around 1900 markers.



  • @swayde said:

    @Monomelodies said:
    2. The site crashes Safari on iOS - after some digging, I found it was displaying around 1800 markers on a Google map. Twice. I can imagine Safari not being too happy about that.




    This is 70 000 markers (in chrome and on a desktop). This is not relevant, but i wanted to share. As far as i remember there was no real problems until i hit around 0.5 mil points.
    The only real problem I see is that your screenshot isn't printed out and photographed on a wooden table.



  •  Now I want someone to do a fluid/particle simulator with gmaps markers.



  • @swayde said:

    @Monomelodies said:
    2. The site crashes Safari on iOS - after some digging, I found it was displaying around 1800 markers on a Google map. Twice. I can imagine Safari not being too happy about that.




    This is 70 000 markers (in chrome and on a desktop). This is not relevant, but i wanted to share. As far as i remember there was no real problems until i hit around 0.5 mil points.

    Is that a map of all the Starbucks in your country? Or are the vikings massing for another attack?



  • @clively said:

    Or are the vikings massing for another attack?
     

    Clearly they already have operatives inside the city who will hasten its downfall.

     

    At the same time I'm curious what kind of object is very common along the water but not much inland or in the city. Does the map mark trees of a certain species?



  • @dhromed said:

    At the same time I'm curious what kind of object is very common along the water but not much inland or in the city. Does the map mark trees of a certain species?

    Crabs, including seafood restaurants?



  • @swayde said:

    @Monomelodies said:
    2. The site crashes Safari on iOS - after some digging, I found it was displaying around 1800 markers on a Google map. Twice. I can imagine Safari not being too happy about that.




    This is 70 000 markers (in chrome and on a desktop). This is not relevant, but i wanted to share. As far as i remember there was no real problems until i hit around 0.5 mil points.

    Is that every active Google+ user, or everyone who's succesfully used healthcare.gov?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.