U r nt qfd

• I have a suspicion this ad for a programmer was text-messaged in to our local paper...

Software Engineer I Anlyz, dsgn, dvlp agmnted & mxd reality & cntxtual info sw appls & certs w/knldg in data mgmt, distrib & location specific info dlvry sys; Particpt in tstng process thru tst dsgn, rvw & anlys w/mdrn relational db sys (PostgreSQL preferred), srvr-side appl sw (Java/ PHP/Ruby) & Java client pgrms to assure qual & accuracy of info deliv in distrbtd & mobile environ. MS in CS.

• @Ben Fulton said:

I have a suspicion this ad for a programmer was text-messaged in to our local paper...

Software Engineer I Anlyz, dsgn, dvlp agmnted & mxd reality & cntxtual info sw appls & certs w/knldg in data mgmt, distrib & location specific info dlvry sys; Particpt in tstng process thru tst dsgn, rvw & anlys w/mdrn relational db sys (PostgreSQL preferred), srvr-side appl sw (Java/ PHP/Ruby) & Java client pgrms to assure qual & accuracy of info deliv in distrbtd & mobile environ. MS in CS.

...or maybe the paper had a quota on vowels?

My favorite job titles come from Lockheed Martin, which has no sense of humor:
    • Systems Administrator Stf
    • Software Engineer Stf
    • Database Administrator Sr Stf
    • Sys Integration Analyst Sr Stf

...the living need not apply.

• @Ben Fulton said:

in distrbtd & mobile environ. MS in CS.

If you have experience in "mobile environ.", then you shouldn't have problems with reading this ;)

• @Ben Fulton said:

I have a suspicion this ad for a programmer was text-messaged in to our local paper...

<FONT face=Tahoma>5h0uld h4v3 u53d +h15 k1nd 0f w0rdz... w444y c00l3r!

</FONT>

• A bit of a WTF, but probably because they had a upper limit on characters used.  Classified ads are like that--you pay a rate based on the length of the ad.

Of course, the fact that it's written in mobile speak is a bit of a WTF, but I chalk it up to something unprofessional.

• I thnk a good rule of thumb is if the job description from the classifieds makes your head hurt, you probably will want to pass that one up.

• @shadowman said:

I thnk a good rule of thumb is if the job description from the classifieds makes your head hurt, you probably will want to pass that one up.

Also: If they cannot afford the time or money to write a decent job description, then I doubt they will be able to afford the money to pay you well or the time to train/communicate with you adequately.

• @Ben Fulton said:

Maybe the newspaper hired some young girls for answering the phones and data entry... 

• <font color="#ff0000">roddy: </font>hey

<font color="#ff0000">roddy: </font>u there?

<font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: y

<font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: WU?

<font color="#ff0000">roddy</font>: i want to aply for that job

<font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: which one?

<font color="#ff0000">roddy</font>: in the paper

<font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: ok... (AFK)

<font color="#ff0000">roddy</font>: u there?

<font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: BRB

<font color="#0000ff">softbiz: </font>IIRC, the job is filled
    <font color="#ff0000">roddy</font>: YGBSM!
    <font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: nope

<font color="#ff0000">roddy</font>: N/P

<font color="#ff0000">roddy</font>: got anythng elz?
    <font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: (AFK, BRB)
    <font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: y, got Jr Ntwk Anlyz.
    <font color="#ff0000">roddy: </font>WFM
    <font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: can you do a F2F?
    <font color="#ff0000">roddy</font>: maybe L8R? i am NIFOC
    <font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: LOL!
    <font color="#0000ff">softbiz</font>: TMI
    <font color="#0000ff">softbiz: </font>y, L8R. GL. CU
    <font color="#ff0000">roddy</font>: B4N.... IHA

• @Ben Fulton said:

Alternatively, this is a cleverly disguised encrypted message. Spooks have been using newspaper ads as dead-drops to pass messages around for decades, because they're cheap, essentially untraceable, and almost impossible to detect.

...probably not, though.

• @shadowman said:

I thnk a good rule of thumb is if the job description from the classifieds makes your head hurt, you probably will want to pass that one up.

It's not a job ad, it's a freelancing programmer. Not that I'd hire him...even if he writes good code the odds are it's unreadable.

Still, at least his background appears to be Unix not Windoze.

Or shd I sy, hs bg is *x nt win

• @m0ffx said:

@shadowman said:

It's not a job ad, it's a freelancing programmer. Not that I'd hire him...even if he writes good code the odds are it's unreadable.

Still, at least his background appears to be Unix not Windoze.

Or shd I sy, hs bg is *x nt win

No, I think it's a job ad:

Software Engineer I Anlyz, dsgn, dvlp agmnted & mxd reality & cntxtual info

I think is supposed to read as "Software Engineer I. (as opposed to Software Engineer II or III)."

Not like, "Software Engineer.  I analyze, design, develop,..."

• Although after reading it again, the abbreviations and their subsequent lack of discernible tenses and other verb forms kind of  makes it ambiguous.  Technically, this could be read either way.

• @seymore15074 said:

@Ben Fulton said:

Maybe the newspaper hired some young girls for answering the phones and data entry... 

<font size="5">S</font>ince the ad is not peppered with the words: "bitch," "slut" and "like," I think that theory can be scrapped.

• Either a 400 character limit for that ad spot, or pay by the character...

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.