It's a ... hard drive enclosure??!?!?!?!?!

• A friend just posted this link to an amazing indiegogo campaign. I'm still trying to figure out what it actually is, and what the proper use case is for it.

Your own secured pocket server

• All I got out of that page is that it prevents global warming.

• According to the commercial, it's:

• A cloud server.
    • That is not backed up anywhere.
    • And is not connected to the internet.
    • It also has an email client.
      • Again, it's not connected to the internet,
      • so you can't actually send or recieve emails.
    • You can store things on it.
    • It has 2TB capacity.
    • It has the ability to store things that are encrypted. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING HARD DRIVE IN EXISTENCE.

Summary: $299 for a 2TB hard drive that comes pre-loaded with an open source email client on it. Versus this:

• It sounds like a headless server in the form factor of a hard drive enclosure.

• @Ben L. said:

And is not connected to the internet.

Going by the text write-up, sounds more like "can be accessed locally while not connected to the internet".  Sounds like it could be a viable product, they're just crap at explaining it properly.

• @emurphy said:

Sounds like it could be a viable product, they're just crap at explaining it properly.
    More like marketing bullshit. All of their claims are contradictory, deceptive or just don't make sense.

A "server" that fits in your pocket.
    That you can access from anywhere in the world
    If it's in your pocket then why do you need the ability to access it "from anywhere in the world"?
    Accessiing it from "anywhere in the world" would require an Internet connection, whch means it isn't any more secure from hackers or government agencies than any other system.
    Same for email.
    Works fast even on a slow Internet connection
    Transfwer 165MB in 1.2 seconds
      So, you've invented away to go faster than your internet or wifi connection allows. I don't think so.

• Think lan party without an internet.

Or completely isolated cloud environment that also includes emailing between machines connected to it. Highly secured internal office solution. Look and act like you are on the web when you really aren't. Possibly even a case for an isolated test environment utilizing cloud services without relying on an actual cloud.

Very low use case, but I can possibly see one.

• Every Indiegogo campaign I've seen has been either completely pointless or completely full of crap. I'm leaning towards "full of crap" because if it worked it would certainly have a market. Plus, they make a point of mentioning the EVILAWFULOMGSPYING government (in what context I don't know, the video was horrible so I skipped around a bunch), which is so patronizing it almost hurts.

• @KattMan said:

Or completely isolated cloud environment that also includes emailing between machines connected to it.

You mean like pretty much every properly configured mail/storage server does?

This thing costs ~ $200 more than a simple external hard disk of similar capacity, and all you get for that is a linux distro with a free mail and file server installed. Which they will make open source.

Yeah, I'll pass.

• @FragFrog said:

@KattMan said:
    Or completely isolated cloud environment that also includes emailing between machines connected to it.

You mean like pretty much every properly configured mail/storage server does?

This thing costs ~ $200 more than a simple external hard disk of similar capacity, and all you get for that is a linux distro with a free mail and file server installed. Which they will make open sourcetook (without modification) from an open source project.

Yeah, I'll pass.

FTFY

• It says it has a built-in battery and built-in Wi-Fi, and it appears to have an Ethernet port and a standard USB A port. Pretty sure it's more than just a hard drive enclosure.

Does anybody recognise the port between the power button and the Ethernet port? I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's just for power... but why not use a USB micro B port like 99% of everything except Apple?

Note that it says it has to be connected to the Internet to receive e-mail. The offline mode presumably just means that your e-mails are stored on the device and you can read them without being connected to the Internet.

•  I have used a very similar device, and found it quite handy. Mine was about 3x the (cubic) volume, making it slightly annoying (e.g. I could put it in my computer bag, but not in my briefcase). If this is a decent implementation it should be a viable product.

• It's hardly the first thing of this kind to pop on kickstarter. There was that "It's a computer in your pocket!" that was basically a USB stick with a live linux distro, presumably with some read-only zones so that you couldn't break it easily. I can't find it now, sadly.

Not a bad idea, but it was referenced as "a computer revolution" and "the end of all IT problems". And they asked for some huge amount of money for it.

• @anonymous234 said:

It's hardly the first thing of this kind to pop on kickstarter. There was that "It's a computer in your pocket!" that was basically a USB stick with a live linux distro, presumably with some read-only zones so that you couldn't break it easily. I can't find it now, sadly.

Not a bad idea, but it was referenced as "a computer revolution" and "the end of all IT problems". And they asked for some huge amount of money for it.

Not as cool as Ophelia (yes, Dell + Android)!

This gives me an idea for a kickstarter project: a portable 3D-printer that prints all the parts needed to build a real computer. The 3D printer would be wifi-enabled so it could download new computer models or slipstream existing ones. This is something the army would definitely buy for its QRFs! Any backers?

• @Ronald said:

This gives me an idea for a kickstarter project: a portable 3D-printer that prints all the parts needed to build a real computer. The 3D printer would be wifi-enabled so it could download new computer models or slipstream existing ones. This is something the army would definitely buy for its QRFs! Any backers?

That sounds like it would actually be a good idea if the printer+x computers worth of "ink" was cheaper to ship than x computers. Computer stores could just print out the computer you ordered while you're there instead of building it for you, you fat, horrible, lazy slob.*

• @El_Heffe said:

Works fast even on a slow Internet connection
    Transfwer 165MB in 1.2 seconds
    Shhh... I'm transfwering wabbits!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Ronald said:

Yes! Except I know you can't print all the components yet.

• @KattMan said:

Think lan party without an internet.

Or completely isolated cloud environment that also includes emailing between machines connected to it. Highly secured internal office solution. Look and act like you are on the web when you really aren't. Possibly even a case for an isolated test environment utilizing cloud services without relying on an actual cloud.

Very low use case, but I can possibly see one.

And I can build the exact same thing with a Rasberry Pi for maybe half the price, and actually be confident it will do what it is supposed to.

• I'm a fan of The random Capitalization of seemingly Unimportant words, and sentences like this:

Q: Is there any monthly or reoccurring fees?

• @taustin said:

And I can build the exact same thing with a Rasberry Pi for maybe half the price, and actually be confident it will do what it is supposed to.

Including "market rate" for your labor?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.