Assault WTF

• @Mason Wheeler said:

@Ronald said:

Heavy drinking with coworkers at lunch or after business hours is common in IT companies in the US, especially if the salaries are low. In smaller companies it is even typical to have free beer either in the cafeteria or in the department's fridge, and subsidized happy hours is a common thing. Every single IT conference is an opportunity to get plastered, this is not specific to trendy technologies; even during IBM conferences they usually setup a shuttle to bring attendees to/from a dinner party where booze is free.

I've done quite a bit of traveling for work and here is my take on how things work outside the US (in IT):

• In France it is common to meet coworkers for a long dinner and to go party with them afterwards; also many companies will host wine tasting events or other formal parties during business hours a few times a year
    • In Japan it is common to go out with coworkers but only peers
    • In South Korea it is common to go to a karaoke bar with coworkers (but karaoke is not like in the US, usually your book a small room or alcove for your party)
    • In India it is common to pool money and hire a chef for a dinner party at one of the coworkers house during the week; on the weekend some coworkers may invite you to go do some chores with them at the temple like dusting or light landscaping (seriously)
    • In many areas in Africa it is expected that during the weekend you find time to stop by the house of your closest coworkers, but only during daytime (going to church together is also an acceptable venue)
    • In Ireland it is common to go for a beer with coworkers, and if you decline they will find it suspicious

The worst place to go if you like partying with coworkers is Toronto (Canada). I've been to Pyongyang (North Korea) and Vladivostok (Russia), and both are lands of endless wonder and magic compared to Toronto. Oklahoma City is pretty boring too.

You know, I've never really understood this.  Silly jokes about "the Ballmer Peak" notwithstanding, we're professionals whose livelihood is directly derived from our brains.  Why would anyone with an ounce of intelligence think it's a good idea to go and heavily dose themselves with a highly addictive drug that is known to impair brain functionality?  IT makes about as much sense as a professional athlete engaging in activities that cause long-term damage to his arms or legs.

Resting your brain is different from resting your other muscles. Particularly if your livelihood is intellectually based, it's a lot harder to stop using your brain than to stop using your muscles. Turning off your brain by other meanings is a defense mechanism. (Disclaimer: I am currently drunk.)

• @mikeTheLiar said:

it's a lot harder to stop using your brain than to stop using your muscles
    You must be new here.

• @boomzilla said:

Riiight. Because trying to help someone stay out of trouble is exactly like throwing them to the wolves! Seriously, you are really fucked up if you actually believe this. There's nothing useless about learning from past mistakes.

Yes, because it's totally necessary to point out to everyone what an idiot the girl in the story has been. Apparently we can't figure out that the events in the story were connected and make up our own opinions.

@boomzilla said:

If we all were as stupid as you want us to be, we'd have been extinct a long time ago.

Thank god we're only as stupid as you want us to be! As an aside, I'm also happy to learn that you've never done anything stupid even while drunk.

@boomzilla said:

You're the sick fuck who'd rather console a victim after the fact than teach her how to avoid being one.

You are the sick fuck who'd rather teach someone to marginally reduce their risk of becoming a victim, rather than consoling an actual victim. I disagree with your proposed method of doing the former. How about instead of leaving it up to the victim to defend themselves, we all look out for one another?

@boomzilla said:

I apologize for demeaning your reading comprehension earlier. The problem clearly goes much deeper.

Thank you, I really appreciate your sincerity in this matter.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Faxmachinen said:

You are the sick fuck who'd rather teach someone to marginally reduce their risk of becoming a victim, rather than consoling an actual victim.

No I'm not. I've never said anything about not wanting to console a victim. You listen too closely to shoulder aliens.

@Faxmachinen said:

I disagree with your proposed method of doing the former. How about instead of leaving it up to the victim to defend themselves, we all look out for one another?

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm trying to do.

It's interesting to see people get blind spots when it comes to certain subjects. It's like listening to Hillary about Benghazi.

@Faxmachinen said:

As an aside, I'm also happy to learn that you've never done anything stupid even while drunk.

Never anything as stupid as this guy did. Nature has taken care to protect me from people wanting to do body shots, but then I also never did inappropriately intimate things with coworkers. If you think this was simply a drunken misunderstanding then you haven't paid enough attention.

• @boomzilla said:

Nature has taken care to protect me from people wanting to do body shots

You ugly? Or maybe you are a case of reversed butter face? Small arm? Man boobs? Three nipples? Unibrow?

• @El_Heffe said:

@mikeTheLiar said:

it's a lot harder to stop using your brain than to stop using your muscles
    You must be new here.

Are you really implying that most of the people on this forum aren't drunk or otherwise impaired (the youngster notwithstanding)?

• @Mason Wheeler said:

You know, I've never really understood this.  Silly jokes about "the Ballmer Peak" notwithstanding, we're professionals whose livelihood is directly derived from our brains.  Why would anyone with an ounce of intelligence think it's a good idea to go and heavily dose themselves with a highly addictive drug that is known to impair brain functionality?  IT makes about as much sense as a professional athlete engaging in activities that cause long-term damage to his arms or legs.

Now sober, another point: how about brain damage? At least career boxers and football players typically end up with it, from a lifetime of built-up concussions.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

I apologize for demeaning your reading comprehension earlier. The problem clearly goes much deeper.

You'll be much happier here once you learn that certain people aren't worth arguing with.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

I think that's probably the wrong takeaway from this story. But OTOH, I think you might be in the minority, in my admittedly limited experience, most of my coworkers have been borderline alcoholics.

Well, it's 2013 and I'm not 15 years old, so the simple ideas of (a) don't let a guy you don't want to have sex with do body shots off you, and (b) don't try to finger-bang an employee half your age are neither novel nor illuminating.

But yeah, you may be right and I'm just the weirdo who somehow missed the boat.

edit: I just love saying "finger-bang". It's just so juvenile. It's like it encapsulates all of middle school in one pithy phrase.

• Considered Harmful

@Snooder said:

I'm not 15 years old ... finger-bang an employee half your age...
    You were a pretty sick kid, huh?

• @joe.edwards said:

@Snooder said:
    You were a pretty sick kid, huh?

That was the "it's 2013" part of the lesson. I mean, it's one thing if it's 1953 and you don't quite know any better, but it's 2013. EVERYONE knows by now that shit isn't going to end well for anyone involved. I mean, I can't even count the number of movies and tv shows from the past 3 decades where "idiot hits on employee and fucks up his life" is a subplot.

Actually, thinking about it now, the lesson should probably be expanded to ANY coworker. I mean it's especially egregious since he was her boss and there's always the implication of coercion by authority, but even if they were peers, that's still going to fuck up his career. Cause if it (it being the drunken fumblings) goes south (as it assuredly did), someone will have to get transferred away. And it'll have to be him since transferring the person who didn't actually do anything is just not cool.

• @joe.edwards said:

@Snooder said:
    You were a pretty sick kid young manager, huh?

FTFY.

• @boomzilla said:

I've never said anything about not wanting to console a victim.

Funny, because you were the one to claim it was an either-or situation.

@boomzilla said:
    You're the sick fuck who'd rather console a victim after the fact than teach her how to avoid being one.

This is also rather ironic, since your proposed solution is the only solution that is diametrically opposed to either prevention or consolation.

@boomzilla said:
    I will admit, if by "victim blaming," you mean saying that, "the victim did some things that put her into a compromising situation," then I guess I am victim blaming, and THAT'S A GOOD THING.

Unless you dispute the fact that blaming is the opposite of consoling, of course.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Faxmachinen said:

@boomzilla said:

This is also rather ironic, since your proposed solution is the only solution that is diametrically opposed to either prevention or consolation.

TDEMSYR. I've never said anything about not consoling the victim. That was just your shoulder aliens whispering in your ears.

@Faxmachinen said:

@boomzilla said:
    I will admit, if by "victim blaming," you mean saying that, "the victim did some things that put her into a compromising situation," then I guess I am victim blaming, and THAT'S A GOOD THING.

Unless you dispute the fact that blaming is the opposite of consoling, of course.

Yes, I definitely dispute this. They're different things. Not opposite things. Like green and up. Some of us just prefer not to ignore reality at our peril. And we also try to help others not ignore it at their peril. In your world, helping people understand this sort of thing is terrible and wrong, because more people might become victims, but we end up thinking about uncomfortable topics.

• ♿ (Parody)

For reference...Not a victim:

• @boomzilla said:

@Faxmachinen said:

Yes, I definitely dispute this.

Thanks for the straight answer. I have nothing further to add.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Faxmachinen said:

@boomzilla said:
    @Faxmachinen said:

I think we can all agree that's for the best.

• @boomzilla said:

@Faxmachinen said:
    @boomzilla said:
    @Faxmachinen said:

I think we can all agree that's for the best.

boomzilla you could probably out-talk Jehovah's Witnesses or flea market salesmen. Maybe even a woman.