Assault WTF

• Right or wrong, off color jokes aren't rape. It's kind of sad that the tasteless and inappropriate jokes seemed to get more play than than this atrocity (possibly NSFW details at link).

At some point, it was suggested that I do a body shot. I’ve never done one in my life but at the insistence of many people, attendees and bartenders I decided to lay on the bar.

Following the shot:

[NSFW DETAILS]

Basically, having fun at a conference turned into sexual assault and perhaps not surprisingly the attacked party ended up much worse off than the attacker (though this is just her side of it, of course, so I'm assuming that's true, but he apparently wrote a funemployment blog post, so my respect for him was reduced even more).

• @boomzilla said:

Right or wrong,
    @boomzilla said:
    rape

Cue misinterpretation shitstorm v2.1

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Stay classy

• That's...fucked up. Way to be a downer this morning.

• Why do people think this happens more in tech industry then any other?  

Travel, marketing, entertainment industry is rife with this sort of stuff. 

• This bit struck me as a bit of a WTF:

Joe began to start rubbing my back and kissing my forehead (let me say this is not uncommon behavior between me and men I consider close friends. I have a close relationship with a lot of my former EdgeCase coworkers

Hugs hand forehead kisses have always been a big part of my relationships with my co-workers.

(SPOILER ALERT) I'm not a touchy feely person, but this just seems like a bad idea. I'm certainly not blaming the victim, but this is one of those sorts of things that probably makes assholes think their behavior is not unwanted. And I think if I had a coworker who did this sort of thing to me, I'd feel harassed by her.

• @Helix said:

Why do people think this happens more in tech industry then any other?

Travel, marketing, entertainment industry is rife with this sort of stuff.

Yeah, the only reason I can think of is that there aren't as many women, so maybe proportionately, more women in tech experience it than in other industries, even though it's smaller in absolute numbers. The bottom line is that you're going to get it in any environment where men and women are present.

• @Helix said:

Further reading:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130923023406/http://objo.com/2013/01/31/funemployment/

Pair with as many people as I can

Dude! That's what got you in trouble in the first place!

• A lot of this guy's internet presence seems to be disappearing (blog posts, his twitter account, etc). Also, Neo has a blog post which semi-addresses their side.

• OK, why is this on TDWTF? Certainly it deserves discussion, but I fail to see any "Curious Perversions in Information Technology" in this discussion.

• @DrPepper said:

OK, why is this on TDWTF? Certainly it deserves discussion, but I fail to see any "Curious Perversions in Information Technology" in this discussion.

"Side Bar" WTF

Because more things make us ask WTF than just code

• That part really annoyed me:

@Cry baby said:

That it wasn’t simply enough to finally, after 10 months have the courage to say Joe O’Brien sexually assaulted me.

That's not "courage". That's a mix of petty revenge and self-pity.

One time I was stabbed just above the kidney and my wallet was stolen. This happened in early afternoon on a busy street in Honduras, and the first cop who came by took my watch and left me there in a pool of blood. Did I write a long blog post telling my sob story and expecting public sympathy, under the pretense of raising awareness about an issue that everybody is already aware of? No. I moved on.

Did the mugger and the crooked cop stole more from me than a wallet and watch? Can I say I'm a different person now because of them? Maybe, but one thing is sure, I'm not a victim nor a survivor not a fucking wuss who uses a single incident to justify every problem at home or at work.

Incidents like that happen, tough luck. If I could go back in time and I had the opportunity to choose I would rather have the guy grab my ass than stab me, but of course I'm not a fragile and bitter web designer with no clue about life.

• @DrPepper said:

OK, why is this on TDWTF? Certainly it deserves discussion, but I fail to see any "Curious Perversions in Information Technology" in this discussion.
    You don't think body shots at a Ruby convention isn't a "Curious Perversion" in "IT"?

• @Ronald said:

That part really annoyed me:

@Cry baby said:

That it wasn’t simply enough to finally, after 10 months have the courage to say Joe O’Brien sexually assaulted me.

One time I was stabbed just above the kidney and my wallet was stolen. This happened in early afternoon on a busy street in Honduras, and the first cop who came by took my watch and left me there in a pool of blood. Did I write a long blog post telling my sob story and expecting public sympathy, under the pretense of raising awareness about an issue that everybody is already aware of? No. I moved on.

Did the mugger and the crooked cop stole more from me than a wallet and watch? Can I say I'm a different person now because of them? Maybe, but one thing is sure, I'm not a victim nor a survivor not a fucking wuss who uses a single incident to justify every problem at home or at work.

Incidents like that happen, tough luck. If I could go back in time and I had the opportunity to choose I would rather have the guy grab my ass than stab me, but of course I'm not a fragile and bitter web designer with no clue about life.

Speaking as a web designer, if someone tried to get my wallet or my ass, they'd have a .45 sized hole in them. Who's fragile? 😛

• @PJH said:

@DrPepper said:
    You don't think body shots at a Ruby convention isn't a "Curious Perversion" in "IT"?

I thought that was the joke.

• @boomzilla said:

I'm certainly not blaming the victim

"I'm not going to say X, but still, X".

Goddamnit.

• @Ronald said:

For a little while, I doubted you're a full-on sociopath with no concept of human emotions, but it's pretty unambiguous now.

• @dhromed said:

@boomzilla said:

Goddamnit.

Whenever these kinds of threads popup on any discussion forum, many people seem to forget that there is a line between "blaming the victim" and "should have used better judgement" - and that applies to both genders. It sucks that society (or human nature) has forced us to make that line, but it is what it is.

• @dhromed said:

@boomzilla said:

Goddamnit.

Fuck you and your lack of reading comprehension. If someone does something stupid (or wrong or whatever), they did something stupid (or wrong or whatever) and noticing that isn't the same as blaming them. Why don't people get all in a huff at the suggestion that you shouldn't leave your keys in your car if you don't want it to get stolen?

If I walk through South Central L.A. with a Confederate flag t-shirt (or maybe a SF Giants hat, these days), the dudes who beat me senseless are responsible for their actions, but I was doing something really dumb to put myself into the situation. That's not a direct analogy, and they might have beaten me even if I hadn't worn the shirt, just like he might have assaulted her if she hadn't hugged and given him hand to forehead kisses. But if I'd just stayed away from the dangerous neighborhood or she hadn't agreed to the body shot, we'd both be better off, and would have prevented the situation. Who knows how many previous times such a thing might have happened, but didn't because she was able to resist or avoid putting herself in a compromising position?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.