Tekst

•  Installing Nvidia PhysX:

Click "Annuleren" ("Cancel")  displays a pop-up window that it will abort the installation and it will be incomplete, with no other options.

(Switching my regional settings such as currency to English (another WTF entirely, still not fixed in Windows), it shows up in English and actually tells me I already have a newer version installed and all is well).

• Lazy bastards!! It seems that the Dutch aren't important enough to have a decent translation..

Make that the cat wise :)

• Fokje Modder, the lazy bastards. All beat you me dead, I don't know how this got past QA...

• FoxDev

@pbean said:

Switching my regional settings such as currency to English (another WTF entirely, still not fixed in Windows)

It might be useful to have a German system default to USD, for instance. Certainly if I was working in italy, I'd want the language English, but the currency Euros. So it makes sense to keep those settings separate.

• @RaceProUK said:

It might be useful to have a German system default to USD, for instance. Certainly if I was working in italy, I'd want the language English, but the currency Euros. So it makes sense to keep those settings separate.

That's his point: they're not separate, they're a tangled mess. Some programs use the Windows display language. Others use the "language for non-Unicode programs". Yet others use your time and currency format language. Websites decide which language to use based on your IP address or your browser's language setting or any of the above.

Sometimes you get dialog boxes with the message in one language and the buttons in another.

• FoxDev

@Vempele said:

@RaceProUK said:
    That's his point: they're not separate, they're a tangled mess. Some programs use the Windows display language. Others use the "language for non-Unicode programs". Yet others use your time and currency format language. Websites decide which language to use based on your IP address or your browser's language setting or any of the above.

Sometimes you get dialog boxes with the message in one language and the buttons in another.

Then those programs should be fixed to use the correct settings (obviously can't be done for websites, which should use the browser language instead).

<satire>Oh wait, I forgot it's never the developers' fault, it's always Microsoft's fault.</satire>

• @Vempele said:

On Windows the proper default is to use the OS UI language. Sadly, very few programs actually do this (most use the locale settings, possibly because for a long time this was the only setting that could be changed on every system).
    @Vempele said:
    That's because the MessageBox function in Windows always uses the OS UI language for it's buttons, while the text is supplied by the program.

• @RaceProUK said:

Then those programs should be fixed to use the correct settings

Yeah, and the job would be easier if Windows had just one key for setting the language, just one key for setting the currency, just one key for setting the time-zone, etc. As the situation is now, I'll have to ask you: wich correct setting?

@RaceProUK said:

obviously can't be done for websites, which should use the browser language instead

People don't change their browser default language, thus you can't trust it. And they'll complain loudly if you insist on using it, even if just as a default, instead of guessing from the IP.

• FoxDev

@Mcoder said:

@RaceProUK said:

Yeah, and the job would be easier if Windows had just one key for setting the language, just one key for setting the currency, just one key for setting the time-zone, etc. As the situation is now, I'll have to ask you: wich correct setting?

There is only one setting for each of those, and the setting to use depends on what you're displaying.

• @RaceProUK said:

@Mcoder said:

@RaceProUK said:

There is only one setting for each of those, and the setting to use depends on what you're displaying.

Reading this thread is like going to a book club where old boring women discuss whether Jane Eyre would have been happier with River or Rochester.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Ronald said:

Reading this thread is like going to a book club where old boring women discuss whether Jane Eyre would have been happier with River or Rochester.

What if Jane was a vampire slayer? How would this thread rate then, huh smart guy?

• @boomzilla said:

@Ronald said:

What if Jane was a vampire slayer? How would this thread rate then, huh smart guy?

Jane Eyre readers: old boring women who keep their hands higher than their hips level at all time. Jane Slayre readers: young boring women who think they have big boobs but really they are just fat.

There is also this one for dental office receptionists.

Bonus point to anyone who can find a really hardcore, disgusting p0rn version.