Xubuntu and bluetooth

• So, here I was, trying out Xubuntu on a Samsung XE700T. Installation went fine and I also managed to get a nice dual-boot configuration going. Only thing that earned a temporary frown: I had two different bluetooth managers in the task bar. I simply selected the left one on the basis of it having a slightly bigger icon and paired both the mouse and the keyboard. And all was well.

At least until I discovered that both mouse and keyboard were of the "only one pairing at a time!" kind. Well, no big problem. Pairing was relatively painless. Alas, after one of those OS switches I discovered that for whatever reason, my favourite bluetooth manager was gone, leaving only the other option in its place. "No biggie," I thought, "let's pair the mouse again!"

Switched the mouse to its discoverable mode, where it was promptly found by the manager and labelled as a "mouse" as it should be. I thusly clicked on "Continue" and awaited eagerly the success of this operation. However, and that is a question someone wiser than me has to answer:

How exactly do I enter the code "0000" on a mouse?

• @Rhywden said:

You need a mouse whose number of buttons is zero-indexed, and then you click button number zero 4 times.

• Well if the GUI config isn't working, just drop to command line and set it up manually by using hciconfig and editing the config files. Duh. TRWTF is people that expect to be able to use a system without knowing anything about it, and when they can't do something they just blame the system. Did you even read the manpages?

(sarcasm)

• @Rhywden said:

Find any piece of text where there is the number "0". Hilight it. Press middle mouse button four times on the text box.

• It's terrible UI, but usually "enter code 0000" on a device with no capability to enter codes means "wait for the device to send code 0000 on its own".

•  Huh, where is blakeyrat when you need him? He knows how to fix these things, and what to type when one has to drop your pants to CL.

• @lolwtf said:

It's terrible UI, but usually "enter code 0000" on a device with no capability to enter codes means "wait for the device to send code 0000 on its own".

I'm not sure about that. I know there are devices that pair with no code at all. Just like there are devices that use alphanumeric codes ("9KpX2huu") and others that only accept numeric 4-digit codes.

Trying to pair a wiimote to a Windows XP computer was really fun (it doesn't have a code). Each adapter required a different "stack" (the software thingy you use to pair and manage devices). Some of them let you pair without code, some didn't, some did but you had to enter a secret key combination (seriously).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Helix said:

Huh, where is blakeyrat when you need him? He knows how to fix these things, and what to type when one has to drop your pants to CL.

<p>Apparently he's still upset:  he is lurking but not posting.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@FrostCat said:

@Helix said:

Huh, where is blakeyrat when you need him? He knows how to fix these things, and what to type when one has to drop your pants to CL.

Apparently he's still upset:  he is lurking but not posting.

joe.edwards, I think you know what you need to do with your screen scraper:

• @jpa said:

@Rhywden said:

Find any piece of text where there is the number "0". Hilight it. Press middle mouse button four times on the text box.

frystare.jpg

• @Lorne Kates said:

@FrostCat said:
    @Helix said:
    Apparently he's still upset:  he is lurking but not posting.
    joe.edwards, I think you know what you need to do with your screen scraper:

• @El_Heffe said:

Stop invading Blakeyrats privacy. That's the NSA's job.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Faraday said:

Can you prove I'm not the NSA?

• Considered Harmful

@Lorne Kates said:

@Faraday said:

I think NSA is a pretty cool guy. Eh invades our privacy and doesn't afraid of anything.

•  @joe.edwards said:

@Lorne Kates said:
    @Faraday said:

I think NSA is a pretty cool guy. Eh invades our privacy and doesn't afraid of anything.

• @joe.edwards said:

Not even the Constitution.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@HardwareGeek said:

@joe.edwards said:
    Not even the Constitution.
    Provided he flushes and washes his hands afterwards, what's there to be afraid of?

• NSA Update

NSA Update