"URL" link

• Lately my teacher reached Master of WTF title...
    You may want to checkout:
    http://staff.unak.is/not/tony/teaching/PL/PR/

First link in menu is "URL".
    Can you guess what's there? I think that most of you can. It's obvious that it's a PPT presentation. Now look what's inside... go on - look :)

• lol!
    that must be an mistake...
    no one can be so stupid!

..loved that "Live long and prosper!".... made him look like an real old school geek....

:)

• Woha. That's got to be a joke. Although with the bold-on-hover links I doubt it...

Why are some computer science teachers so clueless when it comes to non-theoretical computer stuff?

• What I like most of all is how the URL kind of asks a question:

Is not Tony teaching PL, PR?

• I assure you, that it's not a joke!
    Url of page has been changed, so he has to show everyone, what's the new link.
    Maybe the guy just had a really bad day, because he's a good teacher in general... But I just couldn't resist posting this one :D

• Now this made me say "what the fuck" out loud...
    And if you look at the lecture schedule, you can see this guy leads a 'Lab' on "Google Desktop, Gmail, Calendar, Earth, and Page Creator".

• good question...
    last year I had an teacher that didn't know how to install things in windows...
    i bet he just stopped learning new things after the 80's...

i'm so glad i quit that wtf'u :)

• Although many (but not all) of my teachers are clueless when it comes to technical stuff, they're pretty good with what they're actually teaching. Somehow they just really belive that computer science has nothign to do with computers.

• @ahnfelt said:

Although many (but not all) of my teachers are clueless when it comes to technical stuff, they're pretty good with what they're actually teaching. Somehow they just really belive that computer science has nothign to do with computers.

I believe that too.

I think it was Dijkstra who said, "Computers are to computer scientists as telescopes are to astronomers." They are tools, not the goal.

Then there's that nasty thing called the Real World...

• @viraptor said:

Lately my teacher reached Master of WTF title...
    You may want to checkout:
    http://staff.unak.is/not/tony/teaching/PL/PR/

First link in menu is "URL".
    Can you guess what's there? I think that most of you can. It's obvious that it's a PPT presentation. Now look what's inside... go on - look :)

<FONT face=Tahoma>Wow! It made me stare on that "slideshow" for quite a while before realizing... uh, what???

But he could just put it in word, why powerpoint? :)

</FONT>

• @ahnfelt said:

Why are some computer science teachers so clueless when it comes to non-theoretical computer stuff?

Money and politics, basically. They aren't really teachers, they're tenured researchers. But most universities have funding difficulties... so they force their researchers to teach a given number of classes each year. Some of these people make good teachers. Some of them just make up something to fulfill their quota and get it out of the way so that they can get back to their real job.

The 'problem' teachers are usually doing research in a field so advanced, it can't be taught to undergrads. So they have to find something else to teach, and they end up teaching something they have no knowledge about, beyond what they learned as an undergrad twenty years earlier.

It's another case of the "all highly paid employees are interchangeable" madness.

• @schab said:

Hi,

@ahnfelt said:

Somehow they just really belive that computer science has nothign to do with computers.

In German, we don't say "Computer Science", but "Informatik" that comes from "Information" and "Mathematik".

But most people here still think that "You studied Computers, can you fix my Windows?"...

So true. They're like, "I broke my motherboard in half. Can you come over and have a look at it?".

Anyway, back on topic. This is the website of my former teacher: http://drsteinkamp.de.vu/ I have no idea what the bear is supposed to do there. "Holy shit, he's got a bear on his website. This thing must be awesome." Also, why is the headline ("Guten Tag") is sooooo huge?

If you speak german, you can find small WTFs here and there. There might be bigger ones, too but I haven't read the whole thing.

Edit: The best thing about the site of my teacher is that the code he has there is not indented at all.

• @Nezzar said:

This is the website of my former teacher: http://drsteinkamp.de.vu/ I have no idea what the bear is supposed to do there. "Holy shit, he's got a bear on his website. This thing must be awesome." Also, why is the headline ("Guten Tag") is sooooo huge?

This looks like an average personal homepage (does anyone use the word "homepage" anymore?) on Geocities in 1997.

• @ahnfelt said:

Woha. That's got to be a joke. Although with the bold-on-hover links I doubt it...

The same reason they are so clueless about lawnmower repair or what's going on on Lost. It's not what they are interested in, and being successful as a researcher is about knowing your field really really well, and keeping up with fields that may contribute something useful to your work,  If I could get someone to pay me what I make now to play around with machine learning and pattern recognition all day, I'd gladly forget HTML. :)

• The absolute greatest WTF besides the bear is this:

"Dies ist Ihr NaN. Besuch auf dieser Seite!"

English:

"This is your NaN. visit on this site!"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, this guy is the perfect person to teach me OO and stuff.

• You absolutely have to love his JavaScript solution to tell me how many days are left to Weihnachten aka christmas. I mean this guy really gives you a care paket with this site isnt he?

function weinachten(){

var today = new Date();
    var year = today.getYear();
    if ((navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") && (year < 2000))
    year="19" + year;
    if (navigator.appName == "Netscape")
    year=1900 + year;
    var date = new Date("december 24, " + year);
    var diff = date.getTime() - today.getTime();
    var days = Math.floor(diff / (1000 * 60 * 60 * 24));
    if (days > 1)
    return days;
    }

• Yeah, hes missing a certain letter in Weinachten. And of course it's important to check for y2k problems. ;)

Also, when you click "Anwendungsentwicklung" and watch the small "OOP, UML, OOD, ADT, whatever"-icon in the top left corner.
    You'd guess it was an animated gif. Actually, its not, its a java applet. And i wondered why the page took that long to render.