That's what happens when you become mainstream



  • The Apple Store is now pushing older versions of apps if the connected device has an older IOS version (see TC for possible explanations). So now that the platform suffers from the same challenges as Microsoft, developers start bitching about it.

    @Some dude who writes IOS apps said:

    The likelihood of any complex app, especially anything API driven, working after several years of neglect are slim. Those that do work may be incredibly unreliable and buggy. Where does this leave things? Users will blame the developers for releasing substandard products, because the average user doesn’t understand the process of software development. This will result in apps being reviewed poorly and an increased support load for developers.

    (Read more).

    Until recently Apple and all the leeches in its ecosystem had it easy: whenever a new version would hit the shelves, nobody would care about people who bought the previous one and that was all right. Since Apple is now looking at becoming more of a Walmart and less of a Dolce & Gabbana, they have to start supporting cheapskates like everyone else and it's a tough reality check for all those snotty startups.



  • @Ronald said:

    You. The guy posting huge images. I hate you.



  • @Ben L. said:

    @Ronald said:
    You. The guy posting huge images. I hate you.

    Sorry about that, my latest laptop has a 2560x1440 monitor and I keep forgeting about people who browse the internets with their mom's iPad. You are making me claustrophobic.



  • @Ronald said:

    @Ben L. said:
    @Ronald said:
    You. The guy posting huge images. I hate you.

    Sorry about that, my latest laptop has a 2560x1440 monitor and I keep forgeting about people who browse the internets with their mom's iPad. You are making me claustrophobic.

    Okay, I've kinda ignored it for a while, but what the fuck are you getting at?



  • @Ben L. said:

    @Ronald said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Ronald said:
    You. The guy posting huge images. I hate you.

    Sorry about that, my latest laptop has a 2560x1440 monitor and I keep forgeting about people who browse the internets with their mom's iPad. You are making me claustrophobic.

    Okay, I've kinda ignored it for a while, but what the fuck are you getting at?


    Aren't you browsing on a Chromebook Pixel?



  • @mikeTheLiar said:

    @Ben L. said:
    @Ronald said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Ronald said:
    You. The guy posting huge images. I hate you.

    Sorry about that, my latest laptop has a 2560x1440 monitor and I keep forgeting about people who browse the internets with their mom's iPad. You are making me claustrophobic.

    Okay, I've kinda ignored it for a while, but what the fuck are you getting at?


    Aren't you browsing on a Chromebook Pixel?

    No, I'm on a Chromebook Daisy. The difference being a thousand dollars.



  • @mikeTheLiar said:

    Spoils of war...

    You should either make a smaller version and put it in the corner of your own avatar. Or use a picture like this one so it would be like in Prison Break where T-Bag has his bitches follow him around by grabbing on his pockets.






  • @Ben L. said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Ronald said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Ronald said:
    You. The guy posting huge images. I hate you.

    Sorry about that, my latest laptop has a 2560x1440 monitor and I keep forgeting about people who browse the internets with their mom's iPad. You are making me claustrophobic.

    Okay, I've kinda ignored it for a while, but what the fuck are you getting at?


    Aren't you browsing on a Chromebook Pixel?

    No, I'm on a Chromebook Daisy. The difference being a thousand dollars money I was able to save on my weekly allowance by not having to pay rent since I'm still living in my mom's basement.

    FTFY.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Ronald said:

    @Ben L. said:
    @mikeTheLiar said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Ronald said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @Ronald said:
    You. The guy posting huge images. I hate you.

    Sorry about that, my latest laptop has a 2560x1440 monitor and I keep forgeting about people who browse the internets with their mom's iPad. You are making me claustrophobic.

    Okay, I've kinda ignored it for a while, but what the fuck are you getting at?


    Aren't you browsing on a Chromebook Pixel?

    No, I'm on a Chromebook Daisy. The difference being a thousand dollars money I was able to save on my weekly allowance by not having to pay rent since I'm still living in my mom's basement.

    FTFY.

    So what the hell does it mean when your dad lives in your basement?

     



  • Has anyone yet figured out whether McRonald is just an unusually bored troll, or if he really is this socially dysfunctional?

    Yes, I know, poTAYto, poTAHto.



  • @Weng said:

    So what the hell does it mean when your dad lives in your basement?

     

    It depends. Are you cashing his social security checks?



  • @Zylon said:

    Has anyone yet figured out whether McRonald is just an unusually bored troll, or if he really is this socially dysfunctional?

    Yes, I know, poTAYto, poTAHto.

    Says the guy who calls people smarter people than him "idiots".



  • @Zylon said:

    Has anyone yet figured out whether McRonald is just an unusually bored troll, or if he really is this socially dysfunctional?

    I'm wagering brain damage.



  • @Ben L. said:

    No, I'm on a Chromebook Daisy.



  • @gu3st said:

    @Zylon said:

    Has anyone yet figured out whether McRonald is just an unusually bored troll, or if he really is this socially dysfunctional?

    I'm wagering brain damage.



  • That's what happens when you become mainstream

    Self-referential topic title is self-referential.



  • @Ben L. said:

    Okay, I've kinda ignored it for a while, but what the fuck are you getting at?
    I think he just called you an Excel-using basson player.



  • @Weng said:

    So what the hell does it mean when your dad lives in your basement?

    That your dad either was either very bad at planning his retirement, or very good at it. Depending on how comfortable your basement is.



  • Why can't devs just say "we don't support that version anymore", or "we only support $LATEST_VERSION"? Just because you have a device doesn't mean the developer has to support it. I have a Blackberry and I don't expect anyone to port their apps to BB10.



  • @aapis said:

    Why can't devs just say "we don't support that version anymore", or "we only support $LATEST_VERSION"? Just because you have a device doesn't mean the developer has to support it. I have a Blackberry and I don't expect anyone to port their apps to BB10.


    Because when you start saying "we don't support that version anymore, go buy the new version" the customers start calling you money-grubbing assholes. And the main problem here is that apple is still pushing out the old version so the dev will get the support calls anyway and wind up with a bad customer service reputation from people who have an old phone, get the old versio, and then cannot understand why your company took their money for a product but refuses to fix it.



  • @Snooder said:

    @aapis said:

    Why can't devs just say "we don't support that version anymore", or "we only support $LATEST_VERSION"? Just because you have a device doesn't mean the developer has to support it. I have a Blackberry and I don't expect anyone to port their apps to BB10.


    Because when you start saying "we don't support that version anymore, go buy the new version" the customers start calling you money-grubbing assholes. And the main problem here is that apple is still pushing out the old version so the dev will get the support calls anyway and wind up with a bad customer service reputation from people who have an old phone, get the old versio, and then cannot understand why your company took their money for a product but refuses to fix it.

    But people are already accustomed to accepting greedy capitalist bullshit, I don't see how this is all that different. I agree that it is very dumb of Apple to do this. Not that Apple is immune from making stupid mistakes or anything, it's just illogical for a wide variety of reasons.

    Again, they could just say "we don't support X version anymore, and Apple won't let us update it anyways, so use at your own risk" somewhere. No such thing as bad press. ;)



  • @aapis said:

    Again, they could just say "we don't support X version anymore, and Apple won't let us update it anyways, so use at your own risk" somewhere. No such thing as bad press. ;)

    People who buy fart noise apps for $0.99 don't read EULA. So morons who bought an iPhone1 from the pawn shop will fill the app reviews page with complaints and sink the score since the reviews is not specific to a version. That's what FartNoiseMaker Inc worries about.



  • @aapis said:

    But people are already accustomed to accepting greedy capitalist bullshit, I don't see how this is all that different. I agree that it is very dumb of Apple to do this. Not that Apple is immune from making stupid mistakes or anything, it's just illogical for a wide variety of reasons.

    Again, they could just say "we don't support X version anymore, and Apple won't let us update it anyways, so use at your own risk" somewhere. No such thing as bad press. ;)

    The phrase is "no such thing as bad publicity." There is most certainly such a thing as bad press. Bad press is what turns a minor liquidity issue into a run on the bank that starts a decade long depression. Bad press is what makes small companies on the edge go bankrupt.

    The point isn't that people are or aren't used to accepting greedy capitalist decisions. It's that Apple's stance, by making the old versions available, appears to lend an imprimatur of workability and implied continued support that the developer may not be able to follow up on. And that people, by and large, are going to assume that impression is true even if it really isn't.

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.