Recommend me a forum

• I'm working on developing an MMO video game as a side project, and I need forums. What I'd really like is a forum with a user database I can easily access from .NET 4.0, that way the forums and the game can use the exact same accounts.

The client is an XNA 4 application, and the server is a plain .NET 4.0 desktop application (currently console-only but I plan to switch to WPF and add some basic admin monitoring).

I tried YAF.NET because it's free and just uses basic ASP.NET membership which could easily be included in a desktop .NET application, but I couldn't get it to install correctly, even using the easy-mode Web Platform Installer. Are there any other forum engines you guys know of that I should investigate? Free or cheap preferred, but I'd be totally fine with a paid solution if there's a way to get a free development-only license and then get the paid version once we go public. I'm not looking for hosted or "cloud" solutions. I won't be too picky about the framework as long as it runs on Windows and doesn't require Oracle.

• I hear Community Server is quite good

• @mikeTheLiar said:

I hear Community Server is quite good
    Unfortunately, my "Kick People In The Face Through The Internet" machine is not working today.

• @mott555 said:

@mikeTheLiar said:

Unfortunately, my "Kick People In The Face Through The Internet" machine is not working today.

Ow! It's working better than you think, that hurt!

• @mott555 said:

MMO
    @mott555 said:
    side project
    ???

• I'm going to check out vBulletin. Just realized several of the forums I visit use that, and it's got an integrated site builder, and a trial version.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

Liar!

• For anyone who cares, vBulletin appears awful these days. I did find one called XenForo which was actually made by all the talent who wrote vBulletin and left when it got crappy, and signed up for the 3-day trial. It's a very nice forum and is probably what I'll be going with.

Okay, back to your regulary-scheduled semi-off-topic discussions!

• @mott555 said:

For anyone who cares, vBulletin appears awful these days. I did find one called XenForo which was actually made by all the talent who wrote vBulletin and left when it got crappy, and signed up for the 3-day trial. It's a very nice forum and is probably what I'll be going with.

Okay, back to your regulary-scheduled semi-off-topic discussions!

Have you heard or take look at this?

This is amazing