So my Wi-Fi is getting jammed

• The Internet connection at my new apartment is simply awful. 50%+ of the time it's unusable, and YouTube is unusable closer to 90% of the time. I finally fired up InSSIDer to take a look. What I found was someone in the apartment complex has either a malfunctioning WiFi router or is intentionally jamming everyone. Their signal covers all channels (1 - 11) and is significantly stronger (like 30 - 40 dB more) than any other network in the area. I thought about complaining to the building manager but I expect she'll either not care or not understand. Worse, the offending network is WPA2 encrypted, otherwise I'd just hack in and take a look and maybe change the channel, though for it to cover all channels it's either really messed up or has custom firmware.

I'm not sure about going door-to-door to ask people about their WiFi, but this is a problem and certainly I'm not the only one affected by it.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@mott555 said:

The Internet connection at my new apartment is simply awful.... someone in the apartment complex has either a malfunctioning WiFi router or is intentionally <font size="5">jamming </font>everyone

Did you try using a noodle?

@mott555 said:

I'm not sure about going door-to-door to ask people about their WiFi, but this is a problem and certainly I'm not the only one affected by it.

Can you figure out the direction the jamming's coming from, and putting some tinfoil on that side of the router/room/apartment?

• @Lorne Kates said:

@mott555 said:
    The Internet connection at my new apartment is simply awful.... someone in the apartment complex has either a malfunctioning WiFi router or is intentionally <font size="5">jamming </font>everyone

Did you try using a noodle?

Maybe his router is full of noodles.

Also, it might be unintentional and it might not even be a case of "malfunctioning" equipment.  I found this article, which is old, but may be relevent.

• @El_Heffe said:

Also, it might be unintentional

My thoughts. I've not heard of any device intentionally broadcasting on channels 1-15 11 at the signal strength you describe.

Something is malfunction.

If you're an android user,  I recommend Wifi Anal

• @Cassidy said:

I recommend Wifi Anal
    That's what she said.