Zzzzzzz7850

• Anyone else with a 7000-series AMD card that won't display anything but a black screen even though the monitor's already out of standby?

I'm blaming Zero-Core, but who knows, really. Fuck, maybe even my PSU is slightly too weak and can't jumpstart the card after it's dozed off. No crashes though, which should be typical of an underpowered system.

• What OS? What driver? Have you tried moving up and/or down a driver version? Have you tried eating the heart of your enemy?

• Okay already. Shees. I was trying to establish the 7000-y nature of the problem, but your way is fine, too.

It's Win8-64, Club3D 7850 Royalking card, Asus M3A78EM mobo. Latest package, driver 12.104. I can't move driver versions because I don't have that and AMD doesn't seem to offer previous versions. I don't want to try the beta driver. The heart of my enemy is not compatible with my interface units and it's illegal to upgrade.

• @dhromed said:

Anyone else with a 7000-series AMD card that won't display anything but a black screen even though the monitor's already out of standby?

Yep. My 8800 started developing a red speckle pattern even during the POST so I swapped it out for an older 7950.

When Win7 eventually booted it displayed okay in 800x600 as new HW but as soon as I added drivers and booted using those I ended up with a blank screen after the win logo vanished - didn't even prompt for the login.

Booting into safe mode worked - I dropped Aero and raised the res to 1600x1200 (monitor will do 1920 x 1600 so still looks a bit odd), but booting normally... same blank issue.

Tried updating from a later driver downloaded from nViddy's site, same issue.  Tried reinstalling and selecting the option to scrub all prior settings and begin anew - same issue.

Uninstalled the driver and went for the stock MS one.. same issue.I figured the older 7950 may have been buggered.

Was given a 9600 by a friend, exhibits exactly the same issues - as soon as any driver is loaded and it boots normally... complete blank. After trying the separate approaches described above, I began to suspect the 7950 wasn't buggered after all.

I've been pointed to this site in which someone identified power issues, so was advised to use HWMonitor (or CPUID) to check power rails.

I suspect the overheating 8800 buggered something on the mobo but I've no idea what tools/logfiles to check (in Win7) to give any more info.