Got hacked do not open email from me



  • I got an email today (time stamped 8AM) which had the above text as its subject. The body of the email comprised only of:

    Delete email sent from me very early this morning.

    David *********


    The email was also CC'ed to 24 other people (and not BCC'ed .. CC'ed) and I am so tempted to do a reply all with something like "Do you mean this email as well?"

    Anyone got any clever suggestions for what I should write?


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    I bet he was drunk emailing not hacked.



  • @OzPeter said:

    Anyone got any clever suggestions for what I should write?

    Reply (not all): This happens. Change your email password. One other way to protect yourself is if you sign up for a website that uses your email address as a login, don't use the same password as you do to sign into your email. Often those sites get attacked, and the attacker will then have your password.

    .

    .

    .

    It's clever, as in it is a smart way to educate your friend on personal security, reduce the spread of malicious emails, and protect both you, him and everyone on his address book in the future.



  • So you didn't receive any email from him earlier?



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    It's clever, as in it is a smart way to educate your friend on personal security, reduce the spread of malicious emails, and protect both you, him and everyone on his address book in the future.
    I should have said that he is not a friend, but some vague acquaintance that I met at a conference once for a volunteer group that we are both members of. I really have no idea who he really is!



  • @OzPeter said:

    @Lorne Kates said:
    It's clever, as in it is a smart way to educate your friend on personal security, reduce the spread of malicious emails, and protect both you, him and everyone on his address book in the future.
    I should have said that he is not a friend, but some vague acquaintance that I met at a conference once for a volunteer group that we are both members of. I really have no idea who he really is!
     

    Regardless, it doesn't hurt to have that reply on macro.



  • @OzPeter said:

    I should have said that he is not a friend, but some vague acquaintance that I met at a conference once for a volunteer group that we are both members of. I really have no idea who he really is!

    I remember reading a very similar comment. Only difference is that it was posted by a hot chick on stalkingvictims.com



  • @joe.edwards said:

    I bet he was drunk emailing not hacked.
    Yes.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Ronald said:

    @OzPeter said:
    I should have said that he is not a friend, but some vague acquaintance that I met at a conference once for a volunteer group that we are both members of. I really have no idea who he really is!

    I remember reading a very similar comment. Only difference is that it was posted by a hot chick on stalkingvictims.com


    Wait? You're stalking victims from the stalking victims website? That's brilliant!



  • @joe.edwards said:

    @Ronald said:
    @OzPeter said:
    I should have said that he is not a friend, but some vague acquaintance that I met at a conference once for a volunteer group that we are both members of. I really have no idea who he really is!

    I remember reading a very similar comment. Only difference is that it was posted by a hot chick on stalkingvictims.com


    Wait? You're stalking victims from the stalking victims website? That's brilliant!

    The real question is which type of stalker they're being stalked by.



  • @Ben L. said:

    The real question is which type of stalker they're being stalked by.
     

    Also.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @dhromed said:

    @Ben L. said:
    The real question is which type of stalker they're being stalked by.
    Also.
    And.



  • @dkf said:

    @dhromed said:
    @Ben L. said:
    The real question is which type of stalker they're being stalked by.
    Also.
    And.
    [url=http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stalker]Furthermore[/url]

     



  • @DCRoss said:

    @dkf said:

    @dhromed said:
    @Ben L. said:
    The real question is which type of stalker they're being stalked by.
    Also.
    And.
    Furthermore

     


    Might as well.



  • @DCRoss said:

    Furthermore

    People on the MWO forums used to complain that they changed the mech designs from the books, turning this:

    Into this:

    Those people are morons. The original MechWarrior designs were fucking awful.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    Eh, that's not that much different.



  • @garrywong said:

    @DCRoss said:

    @dkf said:

    @dhromed said:
    @Ben L. said:
    The real question is which type of stalker they're being stalked by.
    Also.
    And.
    Furthermore

     


    Might as well.
    Joey's Stalker

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @OzPeter said:

    Anyone got any clever suggestions for what I should write?

    Reply (not all): This happens. Change your email password. One other way to protect yourself is if you sign up for a website that uses your email address as a login, don't use the same password as you do to sign into your email. Often those sites get attacked, and the attacker will then have your password.

    It's clever, as in it is a smart way to educate your friend on personal security, reduce the spread of malicious emails, and protect both you, him and everyone on his address book in the future.

     

    I doubt that's the scenario that happened. The reply should be "Hey moron: your email service provider didn't really need you to email them your email and password 'in order to prevent your account from being locked out.'"

     



  • @RichP said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    @OzPeter said:

    Anyone got any clever suggestions for what I should write?

    Reply (not all): This happens. Change your email password. One other way to protect yourself is if you sign up for a website that uses your email address as a login, don't use the same password as you do to sign into your email. Often those sites get attacked, and the attacker will then have your password.

    It's clever, as in it is a smart way to educate your friend on personal security, reduce the spread of malicious emails, and protect both you, him and everyone on his address book in the future.

    I doubt that's the scenario that happened. The reply should be "Hey moron: your email service provider didn't really need you to email them your email and password 'in order to prevent your account from being locked out.'"
     

    Let's say there's a 50/50 shot that either scenario is true. One reply will fix the problem and educate the user on a security hole in a non-confrontational way. The other insults the user, shuts down their ears to anything you have to say, and fixes nothing.

     


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Lorne Kates said:

    @RichP said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    @OzPeter said:

    Anyone got any clever suggestions for what I should write?

    Reply (not all): This happens. Change your email password. One other way to protect yourself is if you sign up for a website that uses your email address as a login, don't use the same password as you do to sign into your email. Often those sites get attacked, and the attacker will then have your password.

    It's clever, as in it is a smart way to educate your friend on personal security, reduce the spread of malicious emails, and protect both you, him and everyone on his address book in the future.

    I doubt that's the scenario that happened. The reply should be "Hey moron: your email service provider didn't really need you to email them your email and password 'in order to prevent your account from being locked out.'"
     

    Let's say there's a 50/50 shot that either scenario is true. One reply will fix the problem and educate the user on a security hole in a non-confrontational way. The other insults the user, shuts down their ears to anything you have to say, and fixes nothing.

     


    Maybe he just wanted to see Grumpy Cat, but instead he got a security warning. "Where is Grumpy Cat?" he asked in anger and frustration, and clicked Ignore This Warning.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @DCRoss said:
    Furthermore

    People on the MWO forums used to complain that they changed the mech designs from the books

    Those people are morons. The original MechWarrior designs were fucking awful.

     

    Really?  I haven't been paying any attention to MWO, but I thought that the issue was the handling of some of the original designs which had been borrowed directly from japanese anime and then redesigned after FASA ran into legal troubles with another company who also had exclusive rights to the designs, turning [url=http://www.heavygauss.com/MEDIUM/shadowhawk6.jpg]this[/url] into [url=http://www.heavygauss.com/MEDIUM/shadowhawk7.jpg]this[/url] and [url=http://www.heavygauss.com/ASSAULT/marauderII5.jpg]this[/url] into [url=http://www.heavygauss.com/ASSAULT/marauderII6.jpg]this[/url].  I don't recall the Stalker being involved in that.

    The original designs may have had some awful in them but at least they had some character and history to them.  I felt that the reseen "please stop suing us" versions were just dreadful and if MWO is using them instead of the unseen "hey we stole this first" versions then I can understand why the players would be pissed.



  • The original designs had two problems:

    1) most of them were fucking awful

    2) they were drawn by the Worst Artist On Earth

    The Pirahna MWO game has diverged much more from the book designs than the FASA games ever did, but so far they haven't made a single one worse. My only gripe about the Stalker is that it's a little too little-- it weighs significantly more than a Catapult, but is exactly the same height/width? Huh? (Actually I haven't played in a few weeks, maybe they've fixed this.)

    Click around and check it out. I especially like their Catapult, especially the Founder's version with the streamlined nose. But Catapult has always been my favorite mech anyway.



  • Someone explain to me why that heavy thick-legged stomper is called a "stalker".

    Maybe it's supped to be funny. Like calling your barbarian rpg character "fluffykins".



  • @blakeyrat said:

    must have chicken legs
     

    What if it's only chicken legs with a gun on top?



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @garrywong said:

    @DCRoss said:

    @dkf said:

    @dhromed said:
    @Ben L. said:
    The real question is which type of stalker they're being stalked by.
    Also.
    And.
    Furthermore

     


    Might as well.
    Joey's Stalker

     


    Get out of here, S.T.A.L.K.E.R



  • @dhromed said:

    What if it's only chicken legs with a gun on top?

    You and your Warframe. Go sit in your plastic action figure package and let the adults talk about MechWarrior.



  • Filed under: why did that take so long

    I didn't post it because it was too obvious.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Filed under: why did that take so long

    I didn't post it because it was too obvious.

    Not too obvious enough.



  • HAPPINESS FOR EVERYBODY, FREE, AND LET NO ONE GO AWAY UNSATISFIED!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    HAPPINESS FOR EVERYBODY, FREE, AND LET NO ONE GO AWAY UNSATISFIED!

    СЧАСТЬЕ ДЛЯ ВСЕХ, ДАРОМ, И ПУСТЬ НИКТО НЕ УЙДЕТ ОБИЖЕННЫЙ!

    Actually, I think my translation had a different wording. IIRC it says "let no one be forgotten." But yours is good, too.

    Also, the first edition is going for almost $200.


  • I grabbed the translation from wiki, not sure if it is the good (2012) translation or the shitty (1977) version. For that particular line, the meaning is still there and the weird grammar fits when you consider where the phrase came from.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @blakeyrat said:

    I grabbed the translation from wiki, not sure if it is the good (2012) translation or the shitty (1977) version. For that particular line, the meaning is still there and the weird grammar fits when you consider where the phrase came from.

    Is this a book I should read?



  • Yes. I will say though, it was not as good as I expected considering the influence it has, but it's still damned good. The STALKER video games are kind of an adaptation of the book, kinda, a bit, slightly.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Yes. I will say though, it was not as good as I expected considering the influence it has, but it's still damned good. The STALKER video games are kind of an adaptation of the book, kinda, a bit, slightly.

    "Adaptation" I think is a tiny bit of a stretch. "Heavily influenced by," certainly, "homage," even. Also worth checking out it the Metro 2033 novel, again, heavily influenced by Roadside Picnic and a pretty good read.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @mikeTheLiar said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Yes. I will say though, it was not as good as I expected considering the influence it has, but it's still damned good. The STALKER video games are kind of an adaptation of the book, kinda, a bit, slightly.

    "Adaptation" I think is a tiny bit of a stretch. "Heavily influenced by," certainly, "homage," even. Also worth checking out it the Metro 2033 novel, again, heavily influenced by Roadside Picnic and a pretty good read.

    I'm starting to think we need a Literature subforum. Srsly. Make it happen.

    Also, if I want to buy that book, it's not available under its original title, I have to buy it as The novel behind the METRO: LAST LIGHT video game. WTF.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Yes. I will say though, it was not as good as I expected considering the influence it has, but it's still damned good. The STALKER video games are kind of an adaptation of the book, kinda, a bit, slightly.

    "Adaptation" I think is a tiny bit of a stretch. "Heavily influenced by," certainly, "homage," even. Also worth checking out it the Metro 2033 novel, again, heavily influenced by Roadside Picnic and a pretty good read.

    I'm starting to think we need a Literature subforum. Srsly. Make it happen.

    Also, if I want to buy that book, it's not available under its original title, I have to buy it as The novel behind the METRO: LAST LIGHT video game. WTF.

    The video game got a lot more publicity than the book in the West. The story behind the novel is actually pretty interesting as well, the author was 18 when he started writing the book. It was originally published serially on the internet, until he got bored with it and basically killed off the main character out of nowhere (And then Artyom took a bullet to the head. The end.). Massive internet outcry convinced him that was the wrong decision.


  • If you bought Metro: Last Light on Steam, you got Metro: 2033 the novel free in PDF format. It's hidden deep in your SteamApps folder.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @mikeTheLiar said:

    @joe.edwards said:
    @mikeTheLiar said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Yes. I will say though, it was not as good as I expected considering the influence it has, but it's still damned good. The STALKER video games are kind of an adaptation of the book, kinda, a bit, slightly.

    "Adaptation" I think is a tiny bit of a stretch. "Heavily influenced by," certainly, "homage," even. Also worth checking out it the Metro 2033 novel, again, heavily influenced by Roadside Picnic and a pretty good read.

    I'm starting to think we need a Literature subforum. Srsly. Make it happen.

    Also, if I want to buy that book, it's not available under its original title, I have to buy it as The novel behind the METRO: LAST LIGHT video game. WTF.

    The video game got a lot more publicity than the book in the West. The story behind the novel is actually pretty interesting as well, the author was 18 when he started writing the book. It was originally published serially on the internet, until he got bored with it and basically killed off the main character out of nowhere (And then Artyom took a bullet to the head. The end.). Massive internet outcry convinced him that was the wrong decision.
    Eh, death is frequently unexpecte-- *takes a bullet to the head*


  • @joe.edwards said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    @joe.edwards said:
    @mikeTheLiar said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Yes. I will say though, it was not as good as I expected considering the influence it has, but it's still damned good. The STALKER video games are kind of an adaptation of the book, kinda, a bit, slightly.

    "Adaptation" I think is a tiny bit of a stretch. "Heavily influenced by," certainly, "homage," even. Also worth checking out it the Metro 2033 novel, again, heavily influenced by Roadside Picnic and a pretty good read.

    I'm starting to think we need a Literature subforum. Srsly. Make it happen.

    Also, if I want to buy that book, it's not available under its original title, I have to buy it as The novel behind the METRO: LAST LIGHT video game. WTF.

    The video game got a lot more publicity than the book in the West. The story behind the novel is actually pretty interesting as well, the author was 18 when he started writing the book. It was originally published serially on the internet, until he got bored with it and basically killed off the main character out of nowhere (And then Artyom took a bullet to the head. The end.). Massive internet outcry convinced him that was the wrong decision.
    Eh, death is frequently unexpecte-- *takes a bullet to the head*
    Reminds me of Candlejack stupidity. Is "bullet to the head" going to be the new


  • @mikeTheLiar said:

    The video game got a lot more publicity than the book in the West. The story behind the novel is actually pretty interesting as well, the author was 18 when he started writing the book. It was originally published serially on the internet, until he got bored with it and basically killed off the main character out of nowhere (And then Artyom took a bullet to the head. The end.). Massive internet outcry convinced him that was the wrong decision.
    @joe.edwards said:
    Eh, death is frequently unexpecte-- takes a bullet to the head

    I expect that. That's why I always wear a helme-- takes a piano to the skull



  • @blakeyrat said:

    It's hidden deep in your SteamApps folder.
     

    Wouldn't it be fun if there was a quest in-game where you had to spelunk for an artifact, and upon completiong, it would copy that document out of the one of the game's archive files to your %Documents% folder?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @dhromed said:
    What if it's only chicken legs with a gun on top?

    You and your Warframe. Go sit in your plastic action figure package and let the adults talk about MechWarrior.

     

    :c



  • @dhromed said:

    Wouldn't it be fun if there was a quest in-game where you had to spelunk for an artifact, and upon completiong, it would copy that document out of the one of the game's archive files to your %Documents% folder?

    That would kind of be immersion breaking for a game like Metro: Last Light.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    That would kind of be immersion breaking for a game like Metro: Last Light.
     

    You have a good point.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @dhromed said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    That would kind of be immersion breaking for a game like Metro: Last Light.
     

    You have a good point.


    I don't know, achievements are pretty much fourth-wall, but segregated enough from the gameplay that they don't ruin much.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    I don't know, achievements are pretty much fourth-wall, but segregated enough from the gameplay that they don't ruin much.

    Achievement notifications can be turned off for exactly this reason.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @joe.edwards said:
    I don't know, achievements are pretty much fourth-wall, but segregated enough from the gameplay that they don't ruin much.

    Achievement notifications can be turned off for exactly this reason.

     

    System => Settings => Disabled Achievement Notifications => OK

    BING

    Achievement Unlocked: Disabled Achievement Notifications!


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @blakeyrat said:

    @joe.edwards said:
    I don't know, achievements are pretty much fourth-wall, but segregated enough from the gameplay that they don't ruin much.

    Achievement notifications can be turned off for exactly this reason.

    XBox 360

    • Notification: Achievement Unlocked - Disabled achievements
    • (press XBox button)
    • List of achievements pops up, current one is highlighted with description "You successfully disabled achievement notifications"

    (Note for dickweeds: I'm not trying to imply XBox ignores your preference to disable popup notifications - this is just an EXAMPLE achievement)

    Playstation 3

    • Notification appears in the corner: [trophy icon] Disabled achievements
    • (press Playstation button)
    • Short delay, then XMB loads
    • (find Trophies after some searching, press X)
    • Syncing trophies (1-2 minute wait)
    • (try to abort the operation, can't)
    • Master list of trophies appears, the one you unlocked is somewhere. Probably.
    • FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-


  • @blakeyrat said:

    @dhromed said:
    What if it's only chicken legs with a gun on top?

    You and your Warframe. Go sit in your plastic action figure package and let the adults talk about MechWarrior.

    MechWarrior is a pale copy of the cool mechanized infantry in Star Wars. That's like GoBots vs Transformers.

    Cool:




    Lame:



  • That is the worst-looking Catapult render I've ever seen.

    Other than the official art. Which is, per usual, godawful.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.