COWorker naming conventions



  • Some of my coworkers have amazing naming conventions, leading to all kinds of hilarious errors.

    Take for example TIT_CURRENCY
    WTF is that? Oh wait, it's not just a variable but also the value between the title tags in the generated HTML.


    Next one:
    peeTorturedFileInfo.
    Yeaaa right. The persistance layer of your app does trash the hard disk around, but naming your variable that way is only going to distract your poor team lead while he steps through your code in the debugger.

    And finally we have:
    /* Bfr that kindly bear with me*/
    <some obtuse code>
    /* Bearing with me ends here*/



  • I like naming my variables after characters from the Stargate series.  And then to keep up my LOC count I write in epic battles between the variables that even does stuff thanks to my meta-code processor



  • My favorite variable name is "jimmy".  It gives the value such personality.



  • @kuroshin said:

    Some of my coworkers have amazing naming conventions, leading to all kinds of hilarious errors.

    Take for example TIT_CURRENCY
    WTF is that? Oh wait, it's not just a variable but also the value between the title tags in the generated HTML.



    My wife told me the other day that one of her clients has an in-house application which is called "ITITS." Evidently, they all pronounce it "eye-tee-eye-tee-ess," as opposed to the quicker "eye-tits."

    No idea why.

    @cdcarter said:
    I like naming my variables after characters from the Stargate series. 
    And then to keep up my LOC count I write in epic battles between the
    variables that even does stuff thanks to my meta-code processor



    So, when Ascended Daniel meddles in the affairs of humanity, is that like trying to instantiate an abstract class? Or just a more mundane protected method error?



  • In my eyes a project isn't finished until it has at least one go_monkey_go() function.

    There was also a project I worked on where I had this:

    /* Keep generating new names until it's not one that currently exists, this could
        cause the program to enter an infinite loop...but only if the system contains
        281,474,976,710,655 maps/profiles :p considering that would make at least
        8,589,934,591GB in just map files alone, I somehow doubt this possibility... */

    Yes, I was too lazy to write code that wouldn't start an infinite loop, but I had enough time to do the calculations lol.



  • @Carnildo said:

    @Cotillion said:
    My favorite variable name is "jimmy".  It gives the value such personality.
    Around here, there are a great many methods with local variables named "Ernie". I've never gotten a straight answer as to why.

    As a teacher's assistant, i once had to check some code written by a student in a programming introduction course for math-students. This guy used several "sheep" variables throughout the code, and when he needed a variable, but "sheep" had already been taken at that spot, he just as happily used "meadow"....



  • <font face="Arial">When I took Fortran in college (back before the dawn
    of time), the TA lived across the hall from me. On one program, I got
    everything working, then replaced all the variable names with names of
    students in the dorm. This lead to some interesting algorithms.

    I think he knocked a couple points off for that.</font>


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.