Stack Overflow isn't as optimistic about the economy as I am...

• I have an RSS feed showing me all the local job listings from Stack Overflow, and here's what came up this morning.  I thought somebody was trying to be clever about doing tech support or maintenance coding, but it looks like they just picked the wrong site to advertise their particular job on.  Wonder if they'll get any bites.

http://careers.stackoverflow.com/jobs/39127/house-keeper-cleaner-life-creativity-art

• Jesus. Do you need a CV to get a job as a cleaner these days?

What happened to job adverts in local shop windows like this:

----------------------------------------------

Cleaner Needed - Minimum Wage

Telephone Dave: 0123 456789

• @eViLegion said:

Jesus. Do you need a CV to get a job as a cleaner these days?

Well, I'd be more confident that someone would be able to -- say -- download and read an appliance manual when they needed to, if they'd been able to write and format a resume. Even minimum-wage work requires reading these days, and benefits a lot from basic computer skills.

• @Seahen said:

@eViLegion said:

Well, I'd be more confident that someone would be able to -- say -- download and read an appliance manual when they needed to, if they'd been able to write and format a resume. Even minimum-wage work requires reading these days, and benefits a lot from basic computer skills.

If the woman is wearing a PVC tabard, can scrape together at least 3 English words, and looks like she probably won't steal anything while you're out... then she's qualified.

• @Seahen said:

@eViLegion said:

And you would be an idiot.

It's unskilled labor. Yes, they would be better with some skills. But who gives a fuck; all you need is someone with the minimal manual dexterity required to pick up small objects and push a broom around for an hour or two.If they need to do anything more than that, you don't need a "cleaner" you need a "janitorial supervisor."

• @Snooder said:

you need a "janitorial supervisory engineer."
    FTFY

• @eViLegion said:

What happened to job adverts in local shop windows like this:

----------------------------------------------
    Cleaner Needed - Minimum Wage

Telephone Dave: 0123 456789
    -------------------------------------------
    Dave's a jerk.  I'm not surprised he can't get anyone to work for him and has to resort to advertising on Stack Overflow

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@El_Heffe said:

Dave's a jerk.  I'm not surprised he can't get anyone to work for him and has to resort to advertising on Stack Overflow

You're thinking of Dave (or maybe, if I'm being generous, Dave), not Dave.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@El_Heffe said:

Good thing Dave's not here, man.

• Considered Harmful

@Nexzus said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@El_Heffe said:

Good thing Dave's not here, man.

It's me, Dave, man. Open up, I got the stuff.

•  Whenever I look at StackOverflow, there's like maybe 4-5 jobs in my area and that's it.  Very poor for tech here.

• @Lorne Kates said:

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/members/davedavenotdavemaybedave.aspx

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

Whenever I look at StackOverflow, there's like maybe 4-5 jobs in my area and that's it.  Very poor for tech here.

StackUnderwhelm.

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

Whenever I look at StackOverflow, there's like maybe 4-5 jobs in my area and that's it.  Very poor for tech here.

I don't think Stack Overflow is necessarily a good barometer of the economy.  Especially since "tech" jobs tend to be concentrated in certain areas of the country. 

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@El_Heffe said:

@Lorne Kates said:

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/members/davedavenotdavemaybedave.aspx

I'm not sure if that's the same Dave Dave Not Dave Maybe Dave, because his bio is not available.