SIM card exploit



  • So the recently announced SIM card exploit has been remotely patched by carriers by exploiting the same exploit. What? And, oh yeah, it was Java.

    [url]http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/01/tech/mobile/sim-card-hack/[/url]



  • Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.



  • @twilsonxpert said:

    So the recently announced SIM card exploit has been remotely patched by carriers by exploiting the same exploit. What? And, oh yeah, it was Java.

    Physically replacing millions of compromised SIM cards around the world
    would have been a huge and costly undertaking for carriers -- and a
    security concern for phone owners. Instead, the companies came up with a
    more creative solution: They took advantage of the same Java
    vulnerability Nohl found and used it to hack into their own cards and
    rewrite parts of their operating systems.
    Yo Dawg,

    I put a SIM exploit in your exploited SIM

     



  • @mikeTheLiar said:

    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.

    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute point. All your piers already know that for all intensive purposes.



  • The vulnerability is a WTF; but fixing it using itself is actually kinda cool.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.
    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute point. All your piers already know that for all intensive purposes.

    One person doing that isn't good, but you do not need to respond in kind blakey (well, in kind with your usual cranking up of volume).



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.

    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute point. All your piers already know that for all intensive purposes.


    Derp. I'm not an idiot, I swear. Typing too fast.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.
    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute moot point. All your piers peers already know that for all intensive intents and purposes.

    GCTFY

     



  • @Medezark said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.
    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute moot point. All your piers peers already know that for all intensive intents and purposes.

    GCTFY

     

     

     



  • @Medezark said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.
    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute moot point. All your piers peers already know that for all intensive intents and purposes.

    GCTFY

     

    chortle... Blakey got you good!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.

    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute point. All your piers already know that for all intensive purposes.

    If you weren't such a pre-Madonna, it wouldn't even phase you when someone fails to tow the line.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @Medezark said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.
    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute moot point. All your piers peers already know that for all intensive intents and purposes.

    GCTFY

     

     

     

     

    I have faith that Zark knew that and was playing the Straight Man to Blakey's Foil.

     



  • @dhromed said:

    @El_Heffe said:
    @Medezark said:
    @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:

    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.

    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute moot point. All your piers peers already know that for all intensive intents and purposes.

    GCTFY

     

     

    I have faith that Zark knew that and was playing the Straight Man to Blakey's Foil.

    It was either post that, or send a career ending, insulting e-mail to the head of our Oracle team.

    As soon as I get out of this company I will be able to post WTFs to make even Snoofle's workplace look like a bastion of reason and intellectual perfection.  Even his company's Sales department.

    Of course, that assumes that I will be able to maintain my sanity that long.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @da Doctah said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.

    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute point. All your piers already know that for all intensive purposes.

    If you weren't such a pre-Madonna, it wouldn't even phase you when someone fails to tow the line.


    Even though eye no wot your doing, it still makes me cringe and twitch.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    @da Doctah said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.
    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute point. All your piers already know that for all intensive purposes.
    If you weren't such a pre-Madonna, it wouldn't even phase you when someone fails to tow the line.

    Even though eye no wot your doing, it still makes me cringe and twitch.

    Aye haight ewe awl.



  • You know what's awesome? Taking a funny joke and rehashing it until it is no longer funny. And this forum does it in record time!!!!

    Fuck all y'all.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    You know what's awesome? Taking a funny joke and rehashing it until it is no longer funny. And this forum does it in record time!!!!

    Fuck all y'all.

     

    When you let out all this hate online, does that allow you to be a nice person in real life?  Or does it just make you better at projecting hate?

     

     



  • I have to wear a protective suit. I'm the Captain Atom of hate.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    And this forum does it in record time!!!!

    I take it you don't frequent reddit.



  • @anonymous234 said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    And this forum does it in record time!!!!

    I take it you don't frequent reddit.

    Where was the funny joke?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    I have to wear a protective suit. I'm the Captain Atom of hate.
    Does it include a cape?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.

    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute point. All your piers already know that for all intensive purposes.

    It took about ten seconds for my brain to realize blakeyrat is capable of sarcasm.



  • @Ben L. said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Man, Java's on a role in the sidebar lately.

    Yeah but it's awful so that's a mute point. All your piers already know that for all intensive purposes.

    It took about ten seconds for my brain to realize blakeyrat is capable of sarcasm.

    He's always capable of sarcasm.  He's just not usually funny, so most people probably didn't get the joke right away.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    You know what's awesome? Taking a funny joke and rehashing it until it is no longer funny. And this forum does it in record time!!!!

    Fuck all y'all.

    It wouldn't bother you if you had a higher self of steam.



  • @flabdablet said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    You know what's awesome? Taking a funny joke and rehashing it until it is no longer funny. And this forum does it in record time!!!!

    Fuck all y'all.

    It wouldn't bother you if you had a higher self of steam.

    ^^ my fave so far ^^



  • @flabdablet said:

    It wouldn't bother you if you had a higher self of steam.
     

    He's on steam.



  • @dhromed said:

    @flabdablet said:
    It wouldn't bother you if you had a higher self of steam.
    He's on steam.

    Here's my wishlist, you should buy me shit.



  •  Why do you have Dust on your list? I thought you were biased against furry?



  •  And Remake Rise of the fucking Triad?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    You know what's mundane? Taking a bad joke and rehashing it until it is exactly as funny. And this forum does it just like the rest of the internet

    Fuck your mum

    FTFY.



  • @dhromed said:

    Why do you have Dust on your list? I thought you were biased against furry?

    It might suck, but it's a fully animated indie created by one person.

    Anyway, I play Khajiit in Elder Scrolls and Charr in Guild Wars 2 and just finished Escape Goat (where you play as a GOAT!!) so I don't know what the heck you're talking about anyway. Maybe you're confusing "biased against furry" with "biased against people who want to fuck cartoon animals"? Those are two different things.



  • @dhromed said:

    And Remake Rise of the fucking Triad?

    LOOK! Wishlist = stuff I have a slight interest in but would never spend my own money on. WHAT ABOUT THAT IS HARD?

    I played the original ROTT back in the day and I wanna see if the remake is any good. The remake of Carrier Command kind of sucked and missed the point. (It had a fucking FPS intro level. AN FPS INTRO LEVEL. IN CARRIER COMMAND.)


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    And this forum does it in record time!!!!
    I'm fairly certain asr did cascades faster. They certainly did it better.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @dhromed said:
    And Remake Rise of the fucking Triad?

    LOOK! Wishlist = stuff I have a slight interest in but would never spend my own money on. WHAT ABOUT THAT IS HARD?

    Oh, shit me backwards. I thought you were just trolling in the other thread, but this implies you really don't get the concept of opportunity cost.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    You know what's awesome? Taking a funny joke and rehashing it until it is no longer funny. And this forum does it in record time!!!!

    Fuck all y'all.

     

    There, there. They're just trying to get their own jokes in there.

     



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Maybe you're confusing "biased against furry" with "biased against people who want to fuck cartoon animals"? Those are two different things.
     

    I think I am.

    I am a very confused person.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    LOOK! Wishlist = stuff I have a slight interest in but would never spend my own money on. WHAT ABOUT THAT IS HARD?
     

    It's hard because I don't share your concept of the usage of the wishlist. My usage is pretty much "bookmark for later". Also you get emails when one is on discount, so that's a sweet deal.

    @blakeyrat said:

    I played the original ROTT back in the day and I wanna see if the remake is any good.
     

    I played it also. The 320x240 graphics were incredibly smooth for its
    day. It was a delight to play. Especiall the great variety of rocket
    launchers. But I can only frown at remakes like this. 



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Maybe you're confusing "biased against furry" with "biased against people who want to fuck cartoon animals"? Those are two different things.
     

    What if you're a cartoon furry who wants to fuck an animal in a human suit?



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    You know what's delicious? Taking a cold meal and reheating it until it is no longer cold. And this microwave does it in record time!!!!

    Bon appetit y'all.

     

    There, there. They're just trying to get their own jokes in there.

     

    Nice subversion of the theme, Lorne.


  • @aihtdikh said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    You know what's delicious? Taking a cold meal and reheating it until it is no longer cold. And this microwave does it in record time!!!!

    Bon appetit y'all.

     

    There, there. They're just trying to get their own jokes in there.

    Nice subversion of the theme, Lorne.
     

    I wonder how much effort it took Lorne to make sure the sentence was error-free.

     

    Edit

    Oh I see the thing what you did there too.



  • @dhromed said:

    I wonder how much effort it took Lorne to make sure the sentence was error-free.
     

     You have no idea.



  • @dhromed said:

    I have faith that Zark knew that and was playing the Straight Man to Blakey's Foil.

    I think thats the only reason I'm on this forum, sometimes.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Lorne Kates said:

    @dhromed said:

    I wonder how much effort it took Lorne to make sure the sentence was error-free.
     

     You have no idea.


    Wow, I didn't notice the wordplay the first time because I didn't pronounce the words in my head as I read them. I'm not sure if that makes me a WTF.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    @dhromed said:

    I wonder how much effort it took Lorne to make sure the sentence was error-free.
     

     You have no idea.


    Wow, I didn't notice the wordplay the first time because I didn't pronounce the words in my head as I read them. I'm not sure if that makes me a WTF.

    Dunno if it makes you a wtf, but can you really read "There, there. They're their ..." without hearing the homophone? DOES NOT COMPUTE


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @aihtdikh said:

    @joe.edwards said:
    @Lorne Kates said:

    @dhromed said:

    I wonder how much effort it took Lorne to make sure the sentence was error-free.
     

     You have no idea.


    Wow, I didn't notice the wordplay the first time because I didn't pronounce the words in my head as I read them. I'm not sure if that makes me a WTF.

    Dunno if it makes you a wtf, but can you really read "There, there. They're their ..." without hearing the homophone? DOES NOT COMPUTE

    I didn't hear anything! I'd read so much slower if a little voice in my head was reading the words aloud to me.



  • @aihtdikh said:

    Dunno if it makes you a wtf, but can you really read "There, there. They're their ..." without hearing the homophone? DOES NOT COMPUTE

    I didn't catch it, but I figured it was just me because I have brain issues.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    @aihtdikh said:
    @joe.edwards said:
    @Lorne Kates said:

    @dhromed said:

    I wonder how much effort it took Lorne to make sure the sentence was error-free.
     

     You have no idea.


    Wow, I didn't notice the wordplay the first time because I didn't pronounce the words in my head as I read them. I'm not sure if that makes me a WTF.

    Dunno if it makes you a wtf, but can you really read "There, there. They're their ..." without hearing the homophone? DOES NOT COMPUTE

    I didn't hear anything! I'd read so much slower if a little voice in my head was reading the words aloud to me.

    I guess it's not 'hear' as such, but for me the identity of each word is inextricably linked to its sound, so I can't help noticing the sounds when I read.

    Or maybe my experience is exactly what you mean by the little voice, and I read much slower than you.

    Interesting that you can turn it on for proofing, though.



  • @aihtdikh said:

    @joe.edwards said:
    @aihtdikh said:
    @joe.edwards said:
    @Lorne Kates said:

    @dhromed said:

    I wonder how much effort it took Lorne to make sure the sentence was error-free.
     

     You have no idea.


    Wow, I didn't notice the wordplay the first time because I didn't pronounce the words in my head as I read them. I'm not sure if that makes me a WTF.

    Dunno if it makes you a wtf, but can you really read "There, there. They're their ..." without hearing the homophone? DOES NOT COMPUTE

    I didn't hear anything! I'd read so much slower if a little voice in my head was reading the words aloud to me.

    I guess it's not 'hear' as such, but for me the identity of each word is inextricably linked to its sound, so I can't help noticing the sounds when I read.

    Or maybe my experience is exactly what you mean by the little voice, and I read much slower than you.

    Interesting that you can turn it on for proofing, though.

    What does a deaf person hear when they read words off a computer screen?



  • @aihtdikh said:

    I guess it's not 'hear' as such, but for me the identity of each word is inextricably linked to its sound, so I can't help noticing the sounds when I read.
     

    Sometimes I'm the same way. Usually if I'm reading something new or intricate. There is a downside, though. There's only a limited range of voices, so if I read something with too many characters, sometimes they'll blend together.  Sometimes I'll have to intentionally "pick" a different voice for a character. Listening to lots of podcasts helps with that-- even more so after archive binging on a news-style podcast.  Quite a lot of characters sound like correspondents from "This American Life" now.

     If I'm reading something simpler, or familiar, I can skim it.I don't hear the words, I just kind "understand" the meaning of the words. Homophones don't screw me up in that case since I don't get sounds, I get meanings.  I would just grok the sentence as "It's okay, all of those people are just trying to contribute personalized jokes."



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @aihtdikh said:
    Dunno if it makes you a wtf, but can you really read "There, there. They're their ..." without hearing the homophone? DOES NOT COMPUTE

    I didn't catch it, but I figured it was just me because I have brain issues.

    Guess I've got... BRAIN PROBLEMS!

    Love you're Dave Barry link, btw. Seems topical today.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.