Samsung PR company tries to bribe StackOverflow users



  • http://delyan.me/08-01-2013/samsung-agency-is-buying-off-stackoverflow-users/

     

    Hi Deylan,

    We are in charge of getting the word out about SSAC (Samsung Smart App
    Challenge) for Stackoverflow. There are a lot of Android App developers
    on the site that don't even know about the contest. The contest is
    pretty big. You can check out the details for the contest here. [link
    redacted]. We contacted members that we feel know something about Androids and Android Apps.
    Also those that are ACTIVE on Stackoverflow... All we need you to do
    is talk about the SSAC (Samsung Smart App Challenge) and get the word
    out. How? We were thinking about 4 questions on Stackoverflow
    over the span of a month..... as well as replies to posts made by other
    members. Don't worry about finding the questions to reply to because we will send you links. We don't want to SPAM...I repeat we don't want you to spam the message boards with links to the contest. The
    questions should be casual and organic. Like "Anyone know anything
    about SSAC? or..."Need some feedback on the app I am about to enter for
    the Samsung Smart App Challenge." You have a dialogue with
    people that reply. That is it! 4 questions spread out over a month
    (August 31st is the deadline to enter). Replies to others posts about
    the SSAC (you will get responses because we have other members doing the
    same thing you are doing). We are willing to pay $500 just for that.
    Not a lot of work...since you are involved in Stackoverflow ANYWAY. If
    you are still interested please let me know.

    Androids?



  • Just to recap:

    • You are an active user of an online social network
    • A company asks you via email to spam the social network
    • You will obviously be banned once you are caught spamming
    • They will pay you $500


  • Dude, this is 12 hours ago.



  •  @mikeTheLiar said:

    Dude, this is 12 hours ago.
    Sorry.  My time machine is down and I haven't received tomorrow's news yet.



  • @Ben L. said:

    Just to recap:

    • You are an active user of an online social network
    • A company asks you via email to spam the social network
    • You will obviously be banned once you are caught spamming
    • They will pay you $500
    StackOverflow is a social network?  Where are the cat pictures?

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    StackOverflow is a social network?  Where are the cat pictures?

     

    I guess you don't frequent LolcatsOverflow then.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Ben L. said:

    Just to recap:

    • You are an active user of an online social network
    • A company asks you via email to spam the social network
    • You will obviously be banned once you are caught spamming
    • They will pay you $500
    Just to recap:
    • This joke wasn't funny the first time
    • It hasn't been funny subsequent times
    • You keep making the same joke
    • You're using a Chromebook


  • @joe.edwards said:

    @Ben L. said:
    Just to recap:

    • You are an active user of an online social network
    • A company asks you via email to spam the social network
    • You will obviously be banned once you are caught spamming
    • They will pay you $500
    Just to recap:
    • This joke wasn't funny the first time
    • It hasn't been funny subsequent times
    • You keep making the same joke
    • You're using a Chromebook

     

    Maybe Google pays him $500 to "casually and organically" talk about his Chronebook?

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    Maybe Google pays him $500 to "casually and organically" talk about his Chronebook?
    And Go.

    Now it all makes sense.



  • Like "Anyone know anything
    about SSAC? or..."Need some feedback on the app I am about to enter for
    the Samsung Smart App Challenge."

    Both questions will be closed as off-topic within a minute, even if they are not considered spam.

    Unfortunately, the offer is already withdrawn: http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/191441/samsung-agency-is-buying-off-stack-overflow-users



  • @joe.edwards said:

    @Ben L. said:
    Just to recap:

    • You are an active user of an online social network
    • A company asks you via email to spam the social network
    • You will obviously be banned once you are caught spamming
    • They will pay you $500
    Just to recap:
    • This joke wasn't funny the first time
    • It hasn't been funny subsequent times
    • You keep making the same joke
    • You're using a Chromebook
    He's got the right idea, but the execution isn't quite there.

     



  • The backlash is probably generating more publicity than the spam.



  • Update

    We do not condone such actions that contradict the respective forum policies and would like to redact any correspondences made.
    Where do these people learn English? That's almost as bad as abusing the verb revert instead of reply ("Please revert to me with your opinions") which, sadly, appears to be becoming common parlance even among the natives.



  •  @PJH said:

    "Please revert to me with your opinions"

    Fuck the what?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @PJH said:

    That's almost as bad as abusing the verb revert instead of reply ("Please revert to me with your opinions") which, sadly, appears to be becoming common parlance even among the natives.
    “Please redact to me with your opinions”? Might as well go with “Please retrospect to me with your onions” for all the sense it makes.



  • Samsung PR is keen to this sort of crazy stunts:

    Samsung gasoline stunt brings Madrid traffic to standstill

    Madrid Renames Metro Station 'Sol Galaxy Note' After Samsung Sponsorship
    http://sponsorpitch.com/articles/2939



  • @PJH said:

    Update
    We do not condone such actions that contradict the respective forum policies and would like to redact any correspondences made.
    Where do these people learn English? That's almost as bad as abusing the verb revert instead of reply ("Please revert to me with your opinions") which, sadly, appears to be becoming common parlance even among the natives.
     

    Natives where?

    I have seem quite a lot of word misuse but I have never seen  'Revert' used instead of 'Reply'.



  • @dhromed said:

     @PJH said:

    "Please revert to me with your opinions"

    Fuck the what?

    Quite.@ip-guru said:

    @PJH said:

    Update
    We do not condone such actions that contradict the respective forum policies and would like to redact any correspondences made.
    Where do these people learn English? That's almost as bad as abusing the verb revert instead of reply ("Please revert to me with your opinions") which, sadly, appears to be becoming common parlance even among the natives.
     

    Natives where?

    I have seem quite a lot of word misuse but I have never seen  'Revert' used instead of 'Reply'.

    UK. Real life examples from work emails:

    Version dropdown list on [in-house bug-tracker] will be removed by tomorrow EOD. Please revert back to me ASAP if anyone of you do not agree with the above change.
    The above changes will be made on [bug-tracker] on [date] so please revert back to me if you have any questions or if you do not agree with the above mapping.
    I am waiting for colleagues at the airport to revert back to me with any local policy they have [on excess baggage], but I have not been made aware of one in the past.


  • @mikeTheLiar said:

    Dude, this is 12 hours ago.

    Cunt.



  • @eViLegion said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Dude, this is 12 hours ago.

    Cunt.

    Yeah, sorry about that. That was drunk Mike.



  • @immibis said:

    The backlash is probably generating more publicity than the spam.
     

    Well, the backlash costs (nearly) nothing and it gets the word out. One could wonder if this was the plan from the start.



  • @mikeTheLiar said:

    @eViLegion said:
    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Dude, this is 12 hours ago.

    Cunt.

    Yeah, sorry about that. That was drunk Mike.

    In that case, I apologise for the excessive strength of my response... I had just been reading some blakey, and that tends to irrationally colour my subsequent unrelated posts!
    I should definitely use the word cunt less often. I'm prolly gonna get fired over it one day.



  • @PJH said:

    UK. Real life examples from work emails:

    Version dropdown list on [in-house bug-tracker] will be removed by tomorrow EOD. Please revert back to me ASAP if anyone of you do not agree with the above change.
    The above changes will be made on [bug-tracker] on [date] so please revert back to me if you have any questions or if you do not agree with the above mapping.
    I am waiting for colleagues at the airport to revert back to me with any local policy they have [on excess baggage], but I have not been made aware of one in the past.
    As much as I despise the style, it's not incorrect as such. An old-fashioned meaning of 'revert' is 'return to' or similar. With that meaning, 'revert to me' at least makes sense.

    'Revert back' is inexcusable, though.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Androids?

    ♭♫ Aaa-a-nd-roids, ♬ everybody needs good aaa-nd-roids ♫ ...

     



  • @eViLegion said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    @eViLegion said:
    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Dude, this is 12 hours ago.

    Cunt.

    Yeah, sorry about that. That was drunk Mike.

    In that case, I apologise for the excessive strength of my response...


    No need, it was pretty appropriate. Drunk Mike is a cunt.
    @eViLegion said:
    I had just been reading some blakey, and that tends to irrationally colour my subsequent unrelated posts!

    I know, I've been following your software accessibility debate/argument/rant, highly entertaining.
    @eViLegion said:
    I should definitely use the word cunt less often. I'm prolly gonna get fired over it one day.

    Using it at work is career Russian Roulette, without a doubt. I use it when appropriate, but I try not to use it often, because that kills it's power. As Joe Rogan says, there's only three magic words left in the English language: nigger, cunt, and love.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    Maybe Google pays him $500 to "casually and organically" talk about his Chronebook?
    And Go.

    Now it all makes sense.

    Farts are mostly nitrogen and hydrogen, neither of which is technically organic. So when Ben talks out of his arse, he's probably not getting paid full rate.



  • @JBert said:

    One could wonder if this was the plan from the start.

    Hanlon's razor wants a word with you.



  • @Mr. DOS said:

    Hanlon's razor wants a word with you.

     

    Everyone always leaves out the second part of that:

    [i]"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity... At least not the first time."[/i]

    I prefer Grey's version.  [i]"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice".[/i]  That often runs head first into Poe's law, but I can never tell if it's by accident or not.

     

     



  • @DCRoss said:

    I prefer Grey's version.  "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice".  That often runs head first into Poe's law, but I can never tell if it's by accident or not.

     

    Frankly, I feel bad for anyone who can't (or won't) distinguish incomptence from malice. Incomptence can be, at the very least, ignored or placated. Malice is impossible to fix.

     



  • @TDWTF123 said:

    @PJH said:
    UK. Real life examples from work emails:

    Version dropdown list on [in-house bug-tracker] will be removed by tomorrow EOD. Please revert back to me ASAP if anyone of you do not agree with the above change.
    The above changes will be made on [bug-tracker] on [date] so please revert back to me if you have any questions or if you do not agree with the above mapping.
    I am waiting for colleagues at the airport to revert back to me with any local policy they have [on excess baggage], but I have not been made aware of one in the past.
    As much as I despise the style, it's not incorrect as such. An old-fashioned meaning of 'revert' is 'return to' or similar. With that meaning, 'revert to me' at least makes sense.

    'Revert back' is inexcusable, though.

    Yes, it's incorrect.  Unless his plan was for you to physically come to his location.  And if they're emails, then you weren't with him when he said it, so you couldn't "revert" as you were never there.


  • @eViLegion said:

    In that case, I apologise for the excessive strength of my response... I had just been reading some blakey, and that tends to irrationally colour my subsequent unrelated posts!
    I should definitely use the word cunt less often. I'm prolly gonna get fired over it one day.
    See you next Tuesday, then.



  • Wouldn't "revert to me" mean "you were once me, and you need to become me again"? That's kinda creepy.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    It's skateboarding instructions. Revert to me, then do a nose manual to that staircase and nosebluntslide down the railing!



  • @eViLegion said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    @eViLegion said:
    @mikeTheLiar said:
    Dude, this is 12 hours ago.

    Cunt.

    Yeah, sorry about that. That was drunk Mike.

    In that case, I apologise for the excessive strength of my response... I had just been reading some blakey, and that tends to irrationally colour my subsequent unrelated posts!
    I should definitely use the word cunt less often. I'm prolly gonna get fired over it one day.

    Apolgies?  Really?  What is this, the Oprah Winfrey Feel Good forum?

    If you can't call someone a cunt, the Internet is worthless.



  • Androids? Fragmentation is getting bad!


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @PJH said:

    @dhromed said:

     @PJH said:

    "Please revert to me with your opinions"

    Fuck the what?

    Quite.@ip-guru said:

    @PJH said:

    Update
    We do not condone such actions that contradict the respective forum policies and would like to redact any correspondences made.
    Where do these people learn English? That's almost as bad as abusing the verb revert instead of reply ("Please revert to me with your opinions") which, sadly, appears to be becoming common parlance even among the natives.
     

    Natives where?

    I have seem quite a lot of word misuse but I have never seen  'Revert' used instead of 'Reply'.

    UK. Real life examples from work emails:

    Version dropdown list on [in-house bug-tracker] will be removed by tomorrow EOD. Please revert back to me ASAP if anyone of you do not agree with the above change.
    The above changes will be made on [bug-tracker] on [date] so please revert back to me if you have any questions or if you do not agree with the above mapping.
    I am waiting for colleagues at the airport to revert back to me with any local policy they have [on excess baggage], but I have not been made aware of one in the past.

    I hope you're pushing back on that bullshit.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.