Read this braille with your fingers .:



  •  Say you know that an election is coming up in the next year or two. It's never too early to start campaigning-- unless it legally is too early. In which case you just skirt the rules and send out "constituent information" or something like that instead.

    This early in the "non-election" you want to get a feel for things. Reach out to as many demographics as you can so you can focus your efforts later. Might as well do that by boasting about some of your accomplishments. How about job creation. Everyone loves that. And-- helping the disabled.

    Why not do both, and try to show how your quasi-legal old-boy right wing party loves them cripples and totes understands their plight? Great, send out the flyers.

    What sort of gimps do we want to boast about? Well, there's the legless ones, right? Put in a picture of that wheelchair spot that wastes half the parking lot.

    Umm--- we aren't doing retards on this one, right?  Just useless bodies, not useless brains? Okay. Then the only other one I can think of is them blind folks. Let's show how much we include them by putting some of their funny writing one it. You know, the stuff that looks like the brown sand people's think, but it's dots instead of squiggles. Yeah, slap that one.

    And so our (Canada's) national government did just that, by [url="http://www.canada.com/health/Conservative+disability+mailout+uses+braille+that+unreadable/8708851/story.html"]sending out a flyer with braille printed on it[/url].

    Not imprinted with raised bumps and such. Just a picture. FlyerBrailler.jpg.  Printed for all the blind people to see.

    (Ed: yes I realize I finged up the title. I think I fixed it)



  • Do you guys have Braille on drive-up ATMs too? We sure do!



  • @mott555 said:

    Do you guys have Braille on drive-up ATMs too? We sure do!
     

    Yes, but that's because about a decade ago, the government offered a tax credit to help stimulate the stand-up comedy industry. Other government initiatives that year:

    - Tax credits were also given by the Ministry of Transportation to airlines to accept the lowest-bidder for their inflight food by

    - the ministry of transportation officially recognize roads a "parkways" and carpots as "driveways", even though that's not what you do on them!

    - The Ministry of Health released an RFP to replace all patient garbs in hospitals with those ones that don't close in the back

    The Ministry of Social Services was going to commission a study about the cultural differences between black people and white people, but this is Canada. We just got rid of all the darkies who snuck up here in the 19th century, and damn be if we're going to risk a reinfection just for the sake of a joke.



  • You have drive-up ATMs?



    That's half the obesity problem, right there.



  •  "And so our (Canada's) national government did just that, by sending out a flyer with braille printed on it."

     

    Technically, it wasn't the government.  It was the Conservative Party.

    One would hope that if it was a government flyer, there would have been some competent person in communications who caught it when the flyer went through the usual vetting process.

     



  • @mott555 said:

    Do you guys have Braille on drive-up ATMs too? We sure do!
     

     

    I'm going to chalk that up to "standard parts."   All ATMs have braille on them.  They don't make special non-braille for drive ups.  There's no cost savings, and the existance of braille doesn't hurt anyone.

     



  • I prefer to go into the bank and talk to a teller instead of using a drive-up ATM. But that's partly because most drive-up ATMs were designed for compact cars that sit half an inch above the ground and can easily park inside a shoebox. Even if I find one my pickup can actually fit in, I have to hang out the window to get low enough to reach the buttons.



  • @eViLegion said:

    You have drive-up ATMs?



    That's half the obesity problem, right there.
     

    The other half is drive-up liquor stores.



  • @mightybaldking said:

    Technically, it wasn't the government.  It was the Conservative Party.
     

    As far as their concerned...



  • @mott555 said:

    I prefer to go into the bank and talk to a teller instead of using a drive-up ATM.
     

    I prefer to drive my H3 through the front door and up to the teller. I decend from upon high over the charred and whimpering corpses of their former customers, hand over my deposit slip, get my cash, then slip her a deposit.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    their concerned...
     

    Their concerned what? Children?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Lorne Kates said:

    As far as their concerned...
    As far as their concerned what? As far as their concerned mothers would let them venture from their igloos?



  • @Cassidy said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    their concerned...
     

    Their concerned what? Children?

     

    Yes, the Conservatives are [url="http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/02/13/technology-lawful-access-toews-pornographers.html"]concerned about the children[/url].

    And given they're cuts to education programs, can you blame me for my homophone confusion? After all, those cuts were to sex-ed, and I only learned about homophones on the street. I'm very confused.

     



  • You're assuming the flyer was targeted at blind people, which it was not. It was targeted at the sighted, and the braile picture is just part of the logo.



  • A local art exhibition here once featured an installation covered in braille writing... formed out of  groups of lit/unlit LEDs. I never figured out if that was intentional or not. You never know with those artsy types...



  • It's a horrible picture, but this sign was on the inside door a washroom in a building that [used to be] leased and used by IBM.

    Yes, that's real braille below the, uh, sight-readable? caption, raised dots and everything.

    Braille that you have to read with your fingers

    That's on a door on the inside of the washroom

    Right next to the push plate for the door to open outwards.

    A push plate (and area) that has probably been touched dozens of hands that have previously touched their owner's junk (or wiped their owner's ass) and not been cleaned.



  • @Anonymouse said:

    A local art exhibition here once featured an installation covered in braille writing... formed out of  groups of lit/unlit LEDs. I never figured out if that was intentional or not. You never know with those artsy types...

     With incandescents, that could actually work (though painfully)...

     



  • @Nexzus said:

    It's a horrible picture, but this sign was on the inside door a washroom in a building that [used to be] leased and used by IBM.

    Yes, that's real braille below the, uh, sight-readable? caption, raised dots and everything.

    Braille that you have to read with your fingers

    That's on a door on the inside of the washroom

    Right next to the push plate for the door to open outwards.

    A push plate (and area) that has probably been touched dozens of hands that have previously touched their owner's junk (or wiped their owner's ass) and not been cleaned.

    Surely blind men should have that message brailled into their dicks with metal studs.



  • You know, I'm pretty sure I've never witnessed a blind person aimlessly touching everything in their surroundings on the off chance that there might be some Braille printed on something. "Hmm, I've been walking down this hall for at least half a minute now. Better fondle everything in case there's a sign nearby."



  • @eViLegion said:

    Surely blind men should have that message brailled into their dicks with metal studs.

    Thanks to your post, and my own curiosity, I am suddenly aware that my dick spells KKK in braille.



  • @HighlyPaidContractor said:

    @eViLegion said:

    Surely blind men should have that message brailled into their dicks with metal studs.

    Thanks to your post, and my own curiosity, I am suddenly aware that my dick spells KKK in braille.

    Please tell me you're black.



  • @db2 said:

    "Hmm, I've been walking down this hall for at least half a minute now. Better fondle everything in case there's a sign nearby."
     

    You have given me strange ideas and I thank you for it.



  • @garrywong said:

    You're assuming the flyer was targeted at blind people, [b]which it was not[/b]. It was targeted at the sighted, and the braile picture is just part of the logo.

    Assumption alert!  Either way, I find it interesting that the braille on the flyer actually reads, "Supporting jobs for all Canadians" instead of just gibberish.  Or worse.

     

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    [The other half is drive-up liquor stores.

    Somewhere in northern California, there used to be a drive-thru liquor and gun store. It's been gone for some time.



  • @malaka said:

    @garrywong said:

    You're assuming the flyer was targeted at blind people, which it was not. It was targeted at the sighted, and the braile picture is just part of the logo.

    Assumption alert!  Either way, I find it interesting that the braille on the flyer actually reads, "Supporting jobs for all Canadians" instead of just gibberish.  Or worse.

    Ergh...rereading my own post I saw that I made an assumption, too.  So, I'll retract my "Assumption alert!" and simply ask you, "How do you know it was not targeted at blind people?"

    Thanks.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @malaka said:

    @malaka said:

    @garrywong said:

    You're assuming the flyer was targeted at blind people, which it was not. It was targeted at the sighted, and the braile picture is just part of the logo.

    Assumption alert!  Either way, I find it interesting that the braille on the flyer actually reads, "Supporting jobs for all Canadians" instead of just gibberish.  Or worse.

    Ergh...rereading my own post I saw that I made an assumption, too.  So, I'll retract my "Assumption alert!" and simply ask you, "How do you know it was not targeted at blind people?"

    Thanks.

    it was in a newspaper or flyer was it not?


  • @PJH said:

    @malaka said:

    @malaka said:

    @garrywong said:

    You're assuming the flyer was targeted at blind people, which it was not. It was targeted at the sighted, and the braile picture is just part of the logo.

    Assumption alert!  Either way, I find it interesting that the braille on the flyer actually reads, "Supporting jobs for all Canadians" instead of just gibberish.  Or worse.

    Ergh...rereading my own post I saw that I made an assumption, too.  So, I'll retract my "Assumption alert!" and simply ask you, "How do you know it was not targeted at blind people?"

    Thanks.

    it was in a newspaper or flyer was it not?

    They make braille ones of those, right?



  • @mott555 said:

    I prefer to go into the bank and talk to a teller instead of using a drive-up ATM. But that's partly because most drive-up ATMs were designed for compact cars that sit half an inch above the ground and can easily park inside a shoebox. Even if I find one my pickup can actually fit in, I have to hang out the window to get low enough to reach the buttons.
    You must have different people installing the drive-up ATMs where you life.  In my not-at-all-compact car, I have to unlatch the seatbelt, swing the door open about eight inches, stand on the seat and lean out the window in order to hit the buttons.

    Between each button press, I have to reverse the whole process to drop into the seat so I can see the screen.

    And then they go and imbed concrete posts in the ground right in front of it, so you can't pull close enough for human arms to reach the thing.  I'm quasi-ambidextrous, so I can only imagine how much worse it is for people who can't operate those controls with the left hand.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @da Doctah said:

    In my not-at-all-compact car, I have to unlatch the seatbelt, swing the door open about eight inches, stand on the seat and lean out the window in order to hit the buttons.

    This. The assumption in Texas seems to be that everyone drives a large flatbed pickup truck. And unfortunately it's usually correct.



  • @eViLegion said:

    You have drive-up ATMs?



    That's half the obesity problem, right there.
    The other half is that most fast food restaurants won't let you walk up to the drive-thru window.



  • @mightybaldking said:

     "And so our (Canada's) national government did just that, by sending out a flyer with braille printed on it."

    Technically, it wasn't the government.  It was the Conservative Party.

     

    Ahh.  That would explain why the braille portion included the wrong locations for polling stations and a rude message from Justin Trudeau about the householder's mother.

     

     



  • @eViLegion said:

    You have drive-up ATMs?



    That's half the obesity problem, right there.

    Honestly, I much prefer drive-up ATMs. Cause we also have the other type, just a stand-along box sitting in a parking lot, and it is the sketchiest thing i've ever seen. Everytime I hit one of those, I'm always slightly paranoid that today will be the day I get shanked for the meager amount in my bank account. Just my luck the guy robbing me wouldn't even bother taking the money. Just walk off and sneer at how poor I am.



  • @eViLegion said:

    You have drive-up ATMs?



    That's half the obesity problem, right there.

    It actually makes sense in places where it snows every winter.



  • @Snooder said:

    Honestly, I much prefer drive-up ATMs. Cause we also have the other type, just a stand-along box sitting in a parking lot, and it is the sketchiest thing i've ever seen.

    So you don't have them in shopping centres or strip malls? I've never seen a drive up ATM in the flesh myself. Then again I've only been in snow once in my life and that was on a holiday in Japan!



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @eViLegion said:

    You have drive-up ATMs?



    That's half the obesity problem, right there.
    The other half is that most fast food restaurants won't let you walk up to the drive-thru window.

    Walking up??? How barbaric. Even driving all the way to the drive-thru window is too much work. That's why Sonic is the best. Who wants to get their foot tired because of all the pedal-pumping while idling in the drive-thru line? At Sonic you just park, yell something at the speaker and wait for the food to be delivered to your car.





  • @Zemm said:

    @Snooder said:
    Honestly, I much prefer drive-up ATMs. Cause we also have the other type, just a stand-along box sitting in a parking lot, and it is the sketchiest thing i've ever seen.

    So you don't have them in shopping centres or strip malls? I've never seen a drive up ATM in the flesh myself. Then again I've only been in snow once in my life and that was on a holiday in Japan!

    Here they have ATMs in malls and convenience stores, but I haven't been to a non-drive-thru ATM for at least 3 years, except maybe once at the strip club. In the US it's typical to have banks with full-service drive-thru windows (during business hours) for people who have to do something complicated like a forex trade or a cash deposit, but it's typically crowded by old people who just want to chew the rag with the teller.

    Drive-thru is a way of life. In Vegas you can place a bet at a casino drive-thru (if the parlay is not too complex) and if you are in a hurry you can even get married or divorced at the drive-thru (24x7). You can even buy a car at the drive-thru and they deliver it when it's ready (my brother-in-law did it).

    By the way in Japan they have drive-thru ATMs too, but they are annoying unless you are a leftie.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Ronald said:

    Walking up??? How barbaric. Even driving all the way to the drive-thru window is too much work. That's why Sonic is the best. Who wants to get their foot tired because of all the pedal-pumping while idling in the drive-thru line? At Sonic you just park, yell something at the speaker and wait for the food to be delivered to your car.
    Do they drive up to your car to deliver the food?

    (Shit, land must be so incredibly cheap round where you are for that to be cost effective. You'd never get something like that round here because it would always be more cost-effective to put several stores on the same site.)



  • @dkf said:

    Shit, land must be so incredibly cheap round where you are for that to be cost effective.
     

    Gas, too, is phenomenally cheap in the US compared to most European countries. The country's geography means everything's much more spread out and the whole culture is very car-friendly.

    Contrast with my city, where a portion of a busy road is being re-layed with wider and better-curved bicycle lanes. As a cyclist, I think that's awesome. There's a reasonable focus here on not using your car.

    I don't even have a driver's license.



  • @dkf said:

    @Ronald said:
    Walking up??? How barbaric. Even driving all the way to the drive-thru window is too much work. That's why Sonic is the best. Who wants to get their foot tired because of all the pedal-pumping while idling in the drive-thru line? At Sonic you just park, yell something at the speaker and wait for the food to be delivered to your car.
    Do they drive up to your car to deliver the food?

    (Shit, land must be so incredibly cheap round where you are for that to be cost effective. You'd never get something like that round here because it would always be more cost-effective to put several stores on the same site.)

    They roller-skate, and some of them carhops are actually pretty good. Sonic even has some kind of contest every year.



  • @dhromed said:

    @dkf said:

    Shit, land must be so incredibly cheap round where you are for that to be cost effective.
     

    Gas, too, is phenomenally cheap in the US compared to most European countries. The country's geography means everything's much more spread out and the whole culture is very car-friendly.

    Contrast with my city, where a portion of a busy road is being re-layed with wider and better-curved bicycle lanes. As a cyclist, I think that's awesome. There's a reasonable focus here on not using your car.

    I don't even have a driver's license.

    Some cities in the US are pretty cyclist-friendly, like Portland or Salt Lake City. I've been around quite a bit and I don't think there is a more convenient city than Portland for someone riding a bike. It's not just the lanes but the whole lifestyle. In Canada they also have self-service bike rentals; it's almost free if you use the bike less than an hour (it's designed for commute not riding), however sometimes you can't find a free slate in the rack once you get to the destination and that's annoying, it's like driving around for parking when you have a car.





  • @Ronald said:

    They roller-skate, and some of them carhops are actually pretty good. Sonic even has some kind of contest every year.

    For you euro-freaks who didn't know, this is the way ALL drive-throughs were before McDonalds ruined them with their newfangled machines.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @Ronald said:
    They roller-skate, and some of them carhops are actually pretty good. Sonic even has some kind of contest every year.

    For you euro-freaks who didn't know, this is the way ALL drive-throughs were before McDonalds ruined them with their newfangled machines.

    Tell us more about the 1950s, Grandpaw!
    <br>



  • @Ronald said:

    You can even buy a car at the drive-thru and they deliver it when it's ready (my brother-in-law did it).
     

    But how do you drive-thru if you don't have a car yet?

    =(


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @dhromed said:

    Gas, too, is phenomenally cheap in the US compared to most European countries. The country's geography means everything's much more spread out and the whole culture is very car-friendly.
    I know. It's particularly like that in the Midwest in my experience; the West Coast and (especially) the North East are both more like what I'm used to. (No, I've not been to Texas yet, but Louisiana wasn't as car-mad as Illinois, Michigan or Wisconsin.)


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Lorne Kates said:

    But how do you drive-thru if you don't have a car yet?
    Learn your ABCs? Cars are free with children's breakfast cereal in the US, yes?

    Seriously though, I've had people look at me strange in the US for wanting to walk a mile to and from work. Now, the walking did take longer than driving, but not as much as all that (couldn't go straight when driving due to the junction layout) and the walk was very good for encouraging thinking; its much harder think about anything other than the immediate when driving. (Other people may think doing various things, but I find walking is the best thought-encourager for me.) OTOH, I still had to get a (hire) car anyway so I could get groceries. The Chicago 'burbs are laid out with a total assumption that people will drive to get about. (Boston and Portland are different.)



  • @Ronald said:

    Walking up??? How barbaric. Even driving all the way to the drive-thru window is too much work. That's why Sonic is the best. Who wants to get their foot tired because of all the pedal-pumping while idling in the drive-thru line? At Sonic you just park, yell something at the speaker and wait for the food to be delivered to your car.



    Ah, Sonic. Brings back fond memories of high school. Unfortunately for the kids in the one-horse town I went to high school in, the closest mall was an hour and a half away. So our "teenage hangout spot" was the local Sonic. At least we were better off than the kids the next town over. Those poor bastards hung out in the parking lot of Walmart.

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @Ronald said:

    You can even buy a car at the drive-thru and they deliver it when it's ready (my brother-in-law did it).
     

    But how do you drive-thru if you don't have a car yet?

    =(

    Sorry I forgot that you North Mexicans have so little in common with actual Americans. In America people don't have one car, they are either poor and take the bus with Rosa Parks or they are normal and have as many cars as can fit in the driveway plus one. Depending on the ethnicity additional car parts may be found on the lawn.




  • @Snooder said:

    @Ronald said:

    Walking up??? How barbaric. Even driving all the way to the drive-thru window is too much work. That's why Sonic is the best. Who wants to get their foot tired because of all the pedal-pumping while idling in the drive-thru line? At Sonic you just park, yell something at the speaker and wait for the food to be delivered to your car.



    Ah, Sonic. Brings back fond memories of high school. Unfortunately for the kids in the one-horse town I went to high school in, the closest mall was an hour and a half away. So our "teenage hangout spot" was the local Sonic. At least we were better off than the kids the next town over. Those poor bastards hung out in the parking lot of Walmart.

     

    Teenagers can make lots of money at night in Walmart parking lots. Ungodly things happen in all those campers parked overnight.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Ronald said:

    Depending on the ethnicity additional car parts may be found on the lawn.
    Or on the kitchen table.



  • @dkf said:

    @Ronald said:
    Depending on the ethnicity additional car parts may be found on the lawn.
    Or on the kitchen table.

    Fool. Kitchen table is for Harley parts.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.