This is the strangest conspiracy theory I've ever seen...



  • JUST IN CASE THERE WEREN'T ENOUGH THREADS THAT INSTANTLY DEVOLVE INTO CRAZY POLITICAL DISCUSSION!

    Here's the weirdest conspiracy theory I've ever seen. (Warning: TVTropes.) (Warning: Star Trek Voyager.)

    @Some TVTropes Editor said:

    Voyager is responsible for the Obama presidency

    1. Jeri Ryan wanted to move to Los Angeles after she got the job as Seven of Nine, but her husband at the time, Illinois politician Jack Ryan, objected.
    2. A bitter divorce drama plays out in 1999, where the results are sealed in the interests of their child.
    3. In 2004, Mr. Ryan campaigns to be the Republican nominee for the U.S. Senate. One of the local papers, acting on a tip, sues to unseal the divorce records.
    4. The unsealed records tell stories of Ryan bringing his wife to sex clubs against her will, demanding she have sex with him and strangers in public.
    5. Ryan withdraws from the race. His replacement loses the race to the Democratic challenger, a fresh-faced state senator named Barack Hussein Obama.
    6. Obama wins the seat, which had been held by Republicans for several terms.
    7. Four years later...


  • The bullet points are all true. It's the speculation about direct causality that's the sketchy deal here.

    Also: "conspiracy theory"? Who's conspiring?



  • OK, so there's a connection between Barack Obama and Voyager.  But where's the "conspiracy"?

    Someone wanted Jeri Ryan to be on Voyager because they knew her husband would object to her moving to Los Angeles, which they knew would lead to a divorce, which they knew would lead to someone tipping off the newspaper about Jack Ryan's sex club exploits????  That's the conpiracy theory?

    I think this is just an excuse for you to start a thread about Voyager.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    I think this is just an excuse for you to start a thread about Voyager.

    N-no...



  • In which strange universe do you live in where this would be the weirdest explanation for a phenomen ? It does not even include Elvis disguised as Ingrid Bettencourt. Or the freemaconery starting the french revolution so they can impose same-sew mariage two and a half year later. Or the feds adding contraceptive to the plane trails so americain to solve America overpopulation. Or George W. Bush being a closeted democrat who had done his best to make democrats wins by being a caricature. Or the english royal family having to hide that they are reptilian and lay eggs instead of being pregnant, leading to an elaborate setup when a birth is annonced. Or the moon landing having been filmed on Mars but the feds did not want to reveal how advanced they really were, while they slowly give away their super computer they build during the WWII to apple.

    This one at least look like it have some ground on reality.

     



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Here's the weirdest conspiracy theory I've ever seen.
    There's a much better conspiracy theory on that page:  After Seven of Nine joined Voyager, the Doctor gave her larger breasts.

     



  • @TheLazyHase said:

    ... Elvis ... Ingrid Bettencourt ... freemaconery ... french revolution ... same-sew mariage ... feds ... contraceptive ... plane trails... George W. Bush ... english royal family ... reptilian ... moon landing ... reality ...

    You left out the Nazis annexing Antarctica in order to find the portal into the Hollow Earth, for the purpose of forming an alliance with the interior's inhabitants.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Here's the weirdest conspiracy theory I've ever seen.
    There's a much better conspiracy theory on that page:  After Seven of Nine joined Voyager, the Doctor gave her larger breasts.

     

    .. then she turned up on Body of Proof as a doctor in her own right...



  • This is just awesome. Ammo for Democratic Voyager fans I guess. "It's the best Star Trek cos it got Obama elected!"



  • @KillaCoda said:

    This is just awesome. Ammo for Democratic Voyager fans I guess. "It's the best Star Trek cos it got Obama elected!"
    Heck with that noise.  It's the best Star Trek because it's got a Captain Proton program on the holodeck and a hot half-Klingon chick among the regulars.



  • @da Doctah said:

    It's the best Star Trek
     

    It's the second-worst Star Trek, but it's an easy mistake to make.



  •  This is a relevent thread.  Today is bang-a-borg day in Maidstone, Kent, United Kingdom



  • @Helix said:

     This is a relevent thread.  Today is bang-a-borg day in Maidstone, Kent, United Kingdom

     

    Let's not do that.

     



  • @dhromed said:

    @da Doctah said:

    It's the best Star Trek
     

    It's the second-worst Star Trek, but it's an easy mistake to make.

     

    Pray tell, what's your favorite Star Trek series then?



  • @steenbergh said:

    @dhromed said:

    @da Doctah said:

    It's the best Star Trek
     

    It's the second-worst Star Trek, but it's an easy mistake to make.

     

    Pray tell, what's your favorite Star Trek series then?



    Andromeda.

     



  • If you take the top 10 best Voyager episodes and put them against the top 10 of any of the other series, Voyager would actually hold-up pretty well. If you go to particularly geeky forums and such, the episode "Tuvix" is still being debated today.

    If you take the top 10 worst Voyager episodes, they'd be far below any other series. Except maybe that Next Gen episode where Barkley turns into a spider and that Enterprise episode with the nonsense about evolution causing a virus because it "chose" one subrace over another god that episode sucked ass so hard I'd rather watch Threshold.

    I really wish Netflix had playlists so I could make a playlist of just the GOOD Voyager episodes. Come on Netflix, when's the last time you added a new feature? Get on it!



  • @steenbergh said:

    Pray tell, what's your favorite Star Trek series then?
     

    I was really into DS9. In retrospect, though, TNG wins easily.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    If you take the top 10 best Voyager episodes and put them against the top 10 of any of the other series, Voyager would actually hold-up pretty well. If you go to particularly geeky forums and such, the episode "Tuvix" is still being debated today.

    If you take the top 10 worst Voyager episodes, they'd be far below any other series. Except maybe that Next Gen episode where Barkley turns into a spider and that Enterprise episode with the nonsense about evolution causing a virus because it "chose" one subrace over another god that episode sucked ass so hard I'd rather watch Threshold.

    I really wish Netflix had playlists so I could make a playlist of just the GOOD Voyager episodes. Come on Netflix, when's the last time you added a new feature? Get on it!

    Yeah Voyager wasn't terrible, just had a lot of bland to terrible episodes. There was still some quality there. I love the year of hell storyline. (I think that's what it's called...)
    And sorry but Reg turning into a fucked up spider and making Picard shit himself was awesome. Also Worf got giant, rage filled, armoured and rapey 😃


  • @blakeyrat said:

    If you take the top 10 best Voyager episodes
    That's a false premise.  There weren't 10 good episodes of Voyager. @blakeyrat said:
    the episode "Tuvix" is still being debated today.
    Only because the Internet is full of stupid people.@blakeyrat said:
    If you take the top 10 worst Voyager episodes, they'd be far below any other series.
    That sounds about right.

    I haven't watched any of the Star Trek series in a long time.  I've always found them to be disappointing.  They had lots of good ideas for story lines.  Almost every episode had a good basic idea, but that's the easy part.  Anyone can come up with ideas.  I've got lots of great ideas.  The hard part is turning those ideas into entire episodes that actually make sense and aren't blatantly stupid, and that's where all the Star Trek series fail 90% of the time. The writers for those series just seem very lazy and unimaginative.



  • @KillaCoda said:

    I love the year of hell storyline.
    That was a good story line and I liked it, but it's also an example what was wrong with all the series.  When they get to the end -- just press a button and everything goes back to the way it was.



  • The big problem I've had with Voyager (just recently watching it for the first time, actually - only have the finale left) is that in general the episodes had really really bad pacing: they would have some typical conundrum and then it would go from being intractable to resolved in the last minute of the show, with no build-up to it, just "oh look we solved it now!" then have almost no time for conclusion, afterthought, or reflection.  The number of repeated storylines is also crazy - I don't know how many times my wife and I said "They already did that on TNG or TOS." (Terrorists, gladiator rings, abducting the computerized crewman (how many times!?), trying to decide if "artificial lifeforms" have rights, etc.)  That and the fact that the most interesting characters on the show are Seven and the Doctor...everyone else seems too contrived.

    I'd still vote TNG as the best, even though when I watch it now it is quite campy sometimes.  At least it had the advantage of coming up with more original storylines, not relying on temporal anomalies every 3 episodes, and wove the character development into the general storyline, rather than Voyager writing episodes that were screaming "Oh look, this is a <character X> development episode!".

    I never got into DS9 because it seemed too much like a soap opera but I might go back and give it a second chance (never watched the whole thing, maybe about 30% of the first 2 seasons or so) and I'm going to give Enterprise a whirl. I only ever saw the pilot of that series.

     

    Edit: Hey look,  while I wrote this, several other posts on the same criticisms... go figure.



  • @too_many_usernames said:

    The big problem I've had with Voyager (just recently watching it for the first time, actually - only have the finale left) is that in general the episodes had really really bad pacing: they would have some typical conundrum and then it would go from being intractable to resolved in the last minute of the show, with no build-up to it, just "oh look we solved it now!" then have almost no time for conclusion, afterthought, or reflection.  The number of repeated storylines is also crazy - I don't know how many times my wife and I said "They already did that on TNG or TOS." (Terrorists, gladiator rings, abducting the computerized crewman (how many times!?), trying to decide if "artificial lifeforms" have rights, etc.)  That and the fact that the most interesting characters on the show are Seven and the Doctor...everyone else seems too contrived.

    I'd still vote TNG as the best, even though when I watch it now it is quite campy sometimes.  At least it had the advantage of coming up with more original storylines, not relying on temporal anomalies every 3 episodes, and wove the character development into the general storyline, rather than Voyager writing episodes that were screaming "Oh look, this is a <character X> development episode!".

    I never got into DS9 because it seemed too much like a soap opera but I might go back and give it a second chance (never watched the whole thing, maybe about 30% of the first 2 seasons or so) and I'm going to give Enterprise a whirl. I only ever saw the pilot of that series.

     

    Edit: Hey look,  while I wrote this, several other posts on the same criticisms... go figure.

    My issue with TNG was there were basically 3 types of episodes:



    (1) Something goes wrong, and the only thing that isn't affected is Data, so he fixes it.

    (2) Something goes wrong with Data, and no-one knows how to fix him. He has some kind of personal crisis and fixes himself.

    (3) Boring episodes.



  • @Helix said:

     This is a relevent thread.  Today is bang-a-borg day in Maidstone, Kent, United Kingdom

    She's all yours dude.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Here's the weirdest conspiracy theory I've ever seen.
    There's a much better conspiracy theory on that page:  After Seven of Nine joined Voyager, the Doctor gave her larger breasts.

    There is a rumor that Seven of Nine's original character name was Two of Thirty-Eight.

     

    This can be used as a one-question IQ test to see how fast people get the joke.

     



  • @D-Coder said:

    This can be used as a one-question IQ test to see how fast people get the joke.

    It isn't an IQ test if it relies on prior knowledge of cultural information.



  • @eViLegion said:

    @D-Coder said:
    This can be used as a one-question IQ test to see how fast people get the joke.

    It isn't an IQ test if it relies on prior knowledge of cultural information.

    Ah, the joke ruiner variety of pedantic dickweed.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Ah, the joke ruiner variety of pedantic dickweed.

    It isn't a joke if it relies on not being very funny.



  • @D-Coder said:

    @El_Heffe said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Here's the weirdest conspiracy theory I've ever seen.
    There's a much better conspiracy theory on that page:  After Seven of Nine joined Voyager, the Doctor gave her larger breasts.

    There is a rumor that Seven of Nine's original character name was Two of Thirty-Eight.

     

    This can be used as a one-question IQ test to see how fast people get the joke.

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Now... THAT.... is funny.



  • @eViLegion said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Ah, the joke ruiner variety of pedantic dickweed.

    It isn't a joke if it relies on not being very funny.



    Well, it might be, but the joke is on the person telling it.

    As an aside, what is the joke referring to anyway? Not a Star Trek fan



  • @Snooder said:

    As an aside, what is the joke referring to anyway?

    Cup size. So, yeah, the joke is on the one telling it.



  • @eViLegion said:

    @Snooder said:
    As an aside, what is the joke referring to anyway?

    Cup size. So, yeah, the joke is on the one telling it.

    Because any fool would realize that by the 24th century they'd be measuring cup sizes in the metric system.



  • @too_many_usernames said:

    I'd still vote TNG as the best, even though when I watch it now it is quite campy sometimes.  At least it had the advantage of coming up with more original storylines, not relying on temporal anomalies every 3 episodes
    TNG had the best story lines.  Unfortunately, all the series suffered from the same problems:

    Horrible shitty acting.

    • William Shatner's bad acting is legendary, but the rest of the Star Trek universe isn't much better.  Except for Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks it was one big collection of 3rd rate hacks.  Or maybe it's just really bad writing.

    Writers/Producers with no imagination, or maybe just generally incompetent

    • Oh look, the phasers/shields/warp drive/transporters just broke down for the 40,000th time.  It may be the 24th century but their starships have the reliability of a 1952 Studabaker.
    • Seven of Nine, former Borg drone, would have all the knowledge of the Borg Collective.  Cool.  Now we can learn about the origin of the Borg.  Where did they come from, how were they created, etc  Never happened.  WTF.
    • An epsiode of Voyager where they find what appears to be a Federation training facility in the delta quadrant.  The plot twist is that it's really Species 8472 masquerading as humans.  But we already know that before the episode is ever aired because the week before  IT"S REVEALED IN THE TRAILER FOR THAT EPISODE.  A minor complaint maybe, but still, WTF?



  • @da Doctah said:

    @eViLegion said:

    @Snooder said:
    As an aside, what is the joke referring to anyway?

    Cup size. So, yeah, the joke is on the one telling it.

    Because any fool would realize that by the 24th century they'd be measuring cup sizes in the metric system.

    Cups sizes are designated A through D.  What is the metric equivalent of D?

     



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @eViLegion said:

    @D-Coder said:
    This can be used as a one-question IQ test to see how fast people get the joke.

    It isn't an IQ test if it relies on prior knowledge of cultural information.

    Ah, the joke ruiner variety of pedantic dickweed.

    How can it be a joke ruiner if you got the joke immediately, before getting to the second bit?

    What? Oh. Oooooh.

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Except for Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks it was one big collection of 3rd rate hacks.
     

    Colm Meany and most others of DS9 were pretty good. And I don't thnk you'd call people 3rd rate hacks if you had ever seen actual bad acting.

    I'm 100% sure Blakey can produce a youtube link with True Bad Acting.

    @El_Heffe said:

    But we already know that before the episode is ever aired because the week before  IT"S REVEALED IN THE TRAILER FOR THAT EPISODE.

    ..t-trailers?

    Wait, you seriously do that thing with the "NEXT TIME ON VOYAGER, [cuts from scene X Y and Z] WILL GOKU MAKE IT ON TIME? BLA BLA" I thought that was a bad memory from the old days of TV.



  • I can't believe y'all making me read the Wikipedia entry on bras.

    Apparently, it's a difficult apparatus.

    @Wikibradia said:

    Finding a correct fit can be very difficult for many women. Medical studies have also attested to the difficulty of getting a correct fit. Scientific studies show that the current system of bra sizing is quite inadequate.

    Constructing a properly fitting brassiere is difficult. Adelle Kirk, formerly a manager at the global Kurt Salmon management consulting firm that specializes in the apparel and retail businesses, said that making bras is complex.

    @Adelle Kirk said:

    Bras are one of the most complex pieces of apparel.
    There are lots of different styles, and each style has a dozen
    different sizes, and within that there are a lot of colors. Furthermore,
    there is a lot of product engineering. You've got hooks, you've got
    straps, there are usually two parts to every cup, and each requires a
    heavy amount of sewing. It is very component intensive.

    ...

    Common types include backless, balconette, convertible, shelf, full cup,
    demi-cup, minimizing, padded, plunge, posture, push-up, racerback,
    sheer, strapless, t-shirt, underwire, unlined, soft cup, and sports bra.

    @El_Heffe said:

    Cups sizes are designated A through D.  What is the metric equivalent of D?

    D, but you never know how large it is.

    @Wiki said:

    most women assume that a B cup on a 34 band is the same size as a B cup
    on a 36 band. In fact, bra cup size is relative to the band size, as
    the actual volume of a woman's breast changes with the dimension of her
    chest

     

     

     

     



  • I was expecting that to say "Creating a properly sized bra is hard because every woman is different and it has to be just right."  Instead it said "Creating a properly sized bra is hard because there are lots of parts."


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Sutherlands said:

    I was expecting that to say "Creating a properly sized bra is hard because every woman is different and it has to be just right."  Instead it said "Creating a properly sized bra is hard because there are lots of parts."

    Apparently the curve is fairly predictable with the right base parameters to generate it.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    William Shatner's bad acting is legendary, but he's a much better actor than director.
    FTFY

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Cups sizes are designated A through D. 
    No. They're not. They certainly don't stop at D. At least not outside the US they don't....



  • @PJH said:

    @El_Heffe said:
    Cups sizes are designated A through D. 
    No. They're not. They certainly don't stop at D. At least not outside the US they don't....

    I thought it went from AAA to E...



  • Wait, they don't go all the way to Z?



  • These are bras, right?



  •  @Ben L. said:

    @PJH said:
    @El_Heffe said:
    Cups sizes are designated A through D. 
    No. They're not. They certainly don't stop at D. At least not outside the US they don't....

    I thought it went from AAA to E...

    In theory they go up to whatever number comes after EEE, but in actual practice I think that's pretty rare.



  • @El_Heffe said:

     @Ben L. said:

    @PJH said:
    @El_Heffe said:
    Cups sizes are designated A through D. 
    No. They're not. They certainly don't stop at D. At least not outside the US they don't....

    I thought it went from AAA to E...

    In theory they go up to whatever number comes after EEE, but in actual practice I think that's pretty rare.

    Well, there's L, LL, or ZZZ (All SFW). Depends on how silly you want to get really.



  • @El_Heffe said:

     @Ben L. said:

    @PJH said:
    @El_Heffe said:
    Cups sizes are designated A through D. 
    No. They're not. They certainly don't stop at D. At least not outside the US they don't....

    I thought it went from AAA to E...

    In theory they go up to whatever number comes after EEE, but in actual practice I think that's pretty rare.


    My girlfriend wears GG. So they go at least that far. And they don't sell them in the US, she has to special order from the UK. So there's that. According to her, modern bra measurements are all fucked up and thoroughly outdated.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @mikeTheLiar said:

    My girlfriend wears GG.

    Let me be the first to say: pics or it didn't happen.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    @mikeTheLiar said:
    My girlfriend wears GG.

    Let me be the first to say: pics or it didn't happen.

    And now it's gone. Check your email.



  • @mikeTheLiar said:

    Actually, considering that I'm posting pictures of my girlfriend's tits on the internet, I think I'm just a shitty person.
    The water makes it difficult to determine just how big the are.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.