Software Testing at a Stare

• Although I don't remember the exact circumstances, many years ago I was introduced to the "Delta Axiom - Software Testing at a Glance - or two" poster. Apparently, it was one of a series that detailed various software development activities. In my opinion, it is far too busy and cluttered to be of any use. Of course, YMMV. Anyway, it was presented to me in all seriousness, without a hint of knowing.

I held onto a copy all these years, and now present it to you...with hints of knowing.

•  THE BURN

• Nice. An upsampled GIF made from overcompressed JPEG.

• @alegr said:

Nice. An upsampled GIF made from overcompressed JPEG.

Ahh, geez.  I knew I'd get flak for that.  I had an 8.5x11 hardcopy which I scanned to PDF and then converted to GIF.  No wooden tables were involved. 

I'd be happy to post the PDF.  Any suggestions for file hosting?

•  I've got the poster size version on my wall. I show it to the dev folk and they walk away shaking their heads.

• @malaka said:

I had an 8.5x11 hardcopy which I scanned to PDF

You mean you don't know how to work a scanner aso you just hit a button that made it go vroom?

• @dhromed said:

@malaka said:
    I had an 8.5x11 hardcopy which I scanned to PDF

You mean you don't know how to work a scanner aso you just hit a button that made it go vroom?

Exactly.

• @malaka said:

I had an 8.5x11 hardcopy which I scanned to PDF and then converted to GIF
    Which makes you a bigger WTF than the poster.  And that's quite an accomplishment. @malaka said:
    I'd be happy to post the PDF.  Any suggestions for file hosting?
    Because . . . . . why?  It never occured to you to scan the poster into a decent quality jpg or png and put that on imgur?

• TRWTF is using Powerpoint to create a poster. Hope you didn't pay for that.

• @El_Heffe said:

Because . . . . . why?  It never occured to you to scan the poster into a decent quality jpg or png and put that on imgur?

NO! MUST BE GIF!!!

• @El_Heffe said:

It never occured to you to scan the poster into a decent quality jpg or png and put that on imgur?

It did occur to me.  But, somehow I didn't see the "JPG" choice on the scanners "File Format Type" screen.  Perhaps in the very same way I don't see the mustard when it is "hidden" behind the milk in the fridge.

@dhromed said:

"Exactly", except replace "don't know how" with "were too lazy".

@blakeyrat said:

NO! MUST BE GIF!!!

Not an option on the only scanner available to me at this time.  Sorry.

However, I did rescan as "JPG" with "High Quality Output".  Hopefully, this is acceptable.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@ubersoldat said:

TRWTF is using Powerpoint to create a poster.
    It beats using Word for making a poster. Or Excel.
    @ubersoldat said:
    Hope you didn't pay for that.
    Pay?

• @dkf said:

@ubersoldat said:
    TRWTF is using Powerpoint to create a poster.
    It beats using Word for making a poster.. @ubersoldat said:
    Hope you didn't pay for that.
    Pay?
    I've used Word to create posters and they look a gazillion times better than that.

Admittedly, that's much of an accomplishment.

• Showing off my google skills:

http://www.madebydelta.com/imported/images/DELTA_Web/documents/Ax/P-T-axiom-0707-uk.pdf

I got a Borland principles of good software design poster hanging on the wall in my office (was there when i got the room).. but it's not as WTFy as this.

• @malaka said:

I held onto a copy all these years, and now present it to you...with hints of knowing.

Haha! Waterfall development the size of Niagara Falls!

• CLICK HERE for an actual readable version.

Protip: I uploaded the PDF directly to imgur.

@El_Heffe said:

I've used Word to create posters and they look a gazillion times better than that.

Admittedly, that's much of an accomplishment.

I'm impressed. (Not that your poster was better than the topic one — even babby's grad student's first poster is better than that — but that you persisted for long enough to make it work.)

• @malaka said:

Although I don't remember the exact circumstances, many years ago I was introduced to the "Delta Axiom - Software Testing at a Glance - or two" poster. Apparently, it was one of a series that detailed various software development activities. In my opinion, it is far too busy and cluttered to be of any use. Of course, YMMV. Anyway, it was presented to me in all seriousness, without a hint of knowing.

So obliging of them to include the author's email address, just in case anyone has any questions.

Like "ANNE METTE JONASSEN HASS, WHAT WERE YOU ON?!?"

• @discomike said:

Showing off my google skills:

http://www.madebydelta.com/imported/images/DELTA_Web/documents/Ax/P-T-axiom-0707-uk.pdf

@Ben L. said:

Protip: I uploaded the PDF directly to imgur.

Sorry to all and thanks to both.  No excuses...I'm a lazy idiot.  Noted and corrected.

The other posters in the series are available here:  http://www.madebydelta.com/delta/Business_units/Axiom/publications/posters-frontpage.page.

@dkf said:

Not that your poster was better than the topic one — even babby's grad student's first poster is better than that
    Ugh; sentence construction fail. I meant that I'd expect grad students to do better than the “software testing at a gawp” poster. I'd also expect that posters by El Heffe, even if done by just using notepad to write raw postscript, would be better than both of those.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

I'd also expect that posters by El Heffe, even if done by just using notepad to write raw postscript, would be better than both of those.

If nothing else, there'd be more pictures of women.

•  ZOMG, where to begin.

• The only part that actually matters is the center of the poster. And it's actually useful.
      • On the left, the stage of the design.
      • In the middle, the test that is triggered by the stage of the design.
      • On the right, the type of test performed.
      • Below is the stage of the production cycle that is more concrete.
      • Valuable to organizations who don't understand testing as it should be.
    • The rest of the chart is potentially related random material that looks like it was ripped from bad topical books.
    • Half of the rest of it is useless information. A portion of that is promoting bad microtasking management style. A portion of that other than the bad management stuff is just plain wrong.
    • A portion of the remaining useful stuff is so poorly documented I can't understand it. I can only assume that the charts hold useful information.

So, I think this whole thing would be better if they just made a poster of only the part in the middle.

• @xaade said:

ZOMG, where to begin.

• The only part that actually matters is the center of the poster. And it's actually useful.
      • On the left, the stage of the design.
      • In the middle, the test that is triggered by the stage of the design.
      • On the right, the type of test performed.
      • Below is the stage of the production cycle that is more concrete.
      • Valuable to organizations who don't understand testing as it should be.
    • The rest of the chart is potentially related random material that looks like it was ripped from bad topical books.
    • Half of the rest of it is useless information. A portion of that is promoting bad microtasking management style. A portion of that other than the bad management stuff is just plain wrong.
    • A portion of the remaining useful stuff is so poorly documented I can't understand it. I can only assume that the charts hold useful information.

So, I think this whole thing would be better if they just made a poster of only the part in the middle.

The information may be technically correct, but no sane person looks at that poster and thinks "Yeah . . . that looks good". 

• @boomzilla said:

@dkf said:
    I'd also expect that posters by El Heffe, even if done by just using notepad to write raw postscript, would be better than both of those.

You got that right!!

• @boomzilla said:

@dkf said:

If I made it, it would be 34537578x24567890345678 pixels.

• @Hatshepsut said:

So obliging of them to include the author's email address, just in case anyone has any questions.

Like "ANNE METTE JONASSEN HASS, WHAT WERE YOU ON?!?"

"Uh, a deadline?"

• @discomike said:

Why didn't you find this then?

• @ender said:

@discomike said:
    Why didn't you find this then?
    测试藏宝图

@El_Heffe said: