I'm the ideal candidate

• @morbiuswilters said:

Out of probably two dozen senior-level (7+ year) sysadmins I talked to for a position, only two could describe what "load average" was

I'm going to play this game, and say the load average is the , erm, average number of incoming connections between all your (virtualized) [database|web] servers.

I'm kind of hoping it's really specific sysadmin jargon with a special meaning and that it's not at all that completely simple and obvious thing I just said.

Do I get the job?
    I don't want the job.

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Out of probably two dozen senior-level (7+ year) sysadmins I talked to for a position, only two could describe what "load average" was

I'm going to play this game, and say the load average is the , erm, average number of incoming connections between all your (virtualized) [database|web] servers.

I'm kind of hoping it's really specific sysadmin jargon with a special meaning and that it's not at all that completely simple and obvious thing I just said.

Do I get the job?
    I don't want the job.

Pretty sure it's the average number of runnable (not running) tasks in the scheduler over time, usually expressed as three moving averages (I forget the intervals at the moment, 1m, 5m, 15m?). It is often confused with some sort of fraction of CPU capacity, but since it's runnable tasks, even a system with one single-core, non-SMT CPU can have a load average well over 1. So you're relatively close, in a way.

(I don't want the job either, but a UNIX sysadmin should know it)

• @skotl said:

She can even lease you a delorean! Get yourself a delorean!

I tried to use that joke and got yelled at.

• @blakeyrat said:

Seriously though if anybody knows something good in the Seattle/Redmond/Everett area, hit me up. ... the 510 bus route ...
    I think Blakey lives in the same city I do.

• @Ben L. said:

Do they get points for knowing their name?

My wife used to be payroll officer for a construction company. Would you trust your house to a bunch of guys who can't spell their own name? (I'm not kidding)

•  I once went to an interview were the situation was reversed. I brain closed shop after about 5 min because I knew I will not take the job and that was before an offer was made. It was a very small team responsible for a system that managed medical data. Hence it is obvious that security was a major concern. At that point they were migrating from php to java. A quick look at the websites source wasn't very promosing. At the interview the team leader turned out be be some cowboy like type. He was American (and I do live on another continent) but just his whole attidue was terrible. Like he and his team are great and I was offered a extraordinary chance. I was there to look what they had offer. So that wasn't a good start. It turned out they had no real proccesses of any kind source control was not used and by judging there faces I'm uncertain they even knew what it is. And then the offer came and I'm pretty sure the people in the office next door heard my laugh. He quickly upped it by 20% and I think my facial expression was so obvious he added another 20%. And that was still less than I already made. Funny thing is I just checked and that exact position is still up and it last call for aplication is x.x.2011. So they weren't even able to update their own web site in the last 2 years.

• @beginner_ said:

I once went to an interview were the situation was reversed. I brain closed shop after about 5 min because I knew I will not take the job and that was before an offer was made. It was a very small team responsible for a system that managed medical data. Hence it is obvious that security was a major concern. At that point they were migrating from php to java. A quick look at the websites source wasn't very promosing. At the interview the team leader turned out be be some cowboy like type. He was American (and I do live on another continent) but just his whole attidue was terrible. Like he and his team are great and I was offered a extraordinary chance. I was there to look what they had offer. So that wasn't a good start. It turned out they had no real proccesses of any kind source control was not used and by judging there faces I'm uncertain they even knew what it is. And then the offer came and I'm pretty sure the people in the office next door heard my laugh. He quickly upped it by 20% and I think my facial expression was so obvious he added another 20%. And that was still less than I already made. Funny thing is I just checked and that exact position is still up and it last call for aplication is x.x.2011. So they weren't even able to update their own web site in the last 2 years.

Before I discovered the option of walking out, one time in an interview when it was obvious I did not want to work there I started to silently count to 10 before every answer. It's a lot more challenging than it looks.

• @Ronald said:

@beginner_ said:

I once went to an interview were the situation was reversed. I brain closed shop after about 5 min because I knew I will not take the job and that was before an offer was made. It was a very small team responsible for a system that managed medical data. Hence it is obvious that security was a major concern. At that point they were migrating from php to java. A quick look at the websites source wasn't very promosing. At the interview the team leader turned out be be some cowboy like type. He was American (and I do live on another continent) but just his whole attidue was terrible. Like he and his team are great and I was offered a extraordinary chance. I was there to look what they had offer. So that wasn't a good start. It turned out they had no real proccesses of any kind source control was not used and by judging there faces I'm uncertain they even knew what it is. And then the offer came and I'm pretty sure the people in the office next door heard my laugh. He quickly upped it by 20% and I think my facial expression was so obvious he added another 20%. And that was still less than I already made. Funny thing is I just checked and that exact position is still up and it last call for aplication is x.x.2011. So they weren't even able to update their own web site in the last 2 years.

Before I discovered the option of walking out, one time in an interview when it was obvious I did not want to work there I started to silently count to 10 before every answer. It's a lot more challenging than it looks.

I've only wanted to walk out of one interview (twas while I was still in college).  Before I actually got to the interview there was a tour and maybe another interview or something where I had decided I didn't want to work there.  Then the guy that interviewed me didn't want me because I couldn't answer what my passion was.

•  You passed the fizz buzz test.

• You guys who are earning 140 USD an hour are making 750% of what I make. Holy balls.

Anyone want to sponsor me an H-1B?

• @The_Assimilator said:

You guys who are earning 140 USD an hour are making 750% of what I make. Holy balls.

You forget that rent in any major US city is 750% compared to rent in your country, and probably mine.

Am I correct, Americans?

• Considered Harmful

@dhromed said:

You forget that rent in any major US city is 750% compared to rent in your country, and probably mine.

Am I correct, Americans?

I don't know; rent at my apartment is only ~$1,100USD/mo plus utilities.

• @dhromed said:

@The_Assimilator said:

You guys who are earning 140 USD an hour are making 750% of what I make. Holy balls.

Am I correct, Americans?

No.  New York City and downtown San Francisco, Los Angeles, and a couple of others, sure.  You can get a 1-bedroom apartment in a good complex in Phoenix for around $850/mo.  NYC will cost you almost $3k for a studio.

• @joe.edwards said:

You're in Dallas, assuming I can trust your badge thing. In Seattle, that might buy you a refrigerator box if you're lucky.

Each city in the US has its own cost-of-living. We're not nearly as homogeneous as any Europe-y countries. I think based on previous posts that Snoofle's in actual New York City, which would explain the pay-- in New York City you need to make 6-digits to be a pauper.

• @joe.edwards said:

@dhromed said:

Am I correct, Americans?

@Sutherlands said:

@dhromed said:

Am I correct, Americans?

No.  New York City and downtown San Francisco, Los Angeles, and a couple of others, sure.  You can get a 1-bedroom apartment in a good complex in Phoenix for around $850/mo.  NYC will cost you almost $3k for a studio.

So... yes.

I have a 3-bedroom apartment with  a roommate, for ~$850. Adding utilities would make a bit over 950.

I'm doing rough conversion from $-€ here.

NYC will cost you almost $3k for a studio.

What about the mid- and low-end apartments?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dhromed said:

Am I correct, Americans?

Not American, but I hear you can get some reasonably cheap rooms such as:

Brooklyn, $800:

Yes, that ceiling is only 4' high.

Or Manhatten, $600:

Described as "Artist Space"

Click pictures for more insanity.

• Considered Harmful

@PJH said:

Yes, that ceiling is only 4' high.

"Any questions?"

"Well, just one. Why are these ceilings so low?"

"Low overhead my boy! We pass the savings onto you! Hahaha!"

• @dhromed said:

So... yes.

I have a 3-bedroom apartment with  a roommate, for ~$850. Adding utilities would make a bit over 950.

I'm doing rough conversion from $-€ here.

So... no.  Unless you're saying that "any major US city" is "the few large cities with super-high housing costs".  3-bedrooms aren't 3x the price of 1-bedrooms.  You can get a nice 3-bedroom in Phoenix for no more than $1350.  You can get a low-end 3-bedroom for around $850.@dhromed said:

NYC will cost you almost $3k for a studio.

What about the mid- and low-end apartments?

A quick and short google search suggests that a 2-bedroom can cost you almost $9k.  You can get a 1-bedroom on the upper-east side for a little over $3k though.

• @Sutherlands said:

You can get a nice 3-bedroom in Phoenix for no more than $1350. 

I figured Phoenix was a major city, since I know of it.

@Sutherlands said:

You can get a low-end 3-bedroom for around $850.

Ok.

@Sutherlands said:

A quick and short google search suggests that a 2-bedroom can cost you almost $9k. 

I... I... that exceeds my wildest imagination.

Wait, is that for a super-luxurious apartment, or is that a regular price? I'm not sure I'm getting an accurate picture.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

@Sutherlands said:

It's major-ish, but not a crazy cost of living type of place. I probably have a price at which I'd be willing to live in a city, but it's not very realistic, and for NYC in particular it would be completely ludicrous. I like the suburbs.

• @Sutherlands said:

So... no.  Unless you're saying that "any major US city" is "the few large cities with super-high housing costs".  3-bedrooms aren't 3x the price of 1-bedrooms.  You can get a nice 3-bedroom in Phoenix for no more than $1350.  You can get a low-end 3-bedroom for around $850

That's pretty cheap.  In Detroit, it costs at least $2000 to buy a three bedroom house.

• @Sutherlands said:

You can get a nice 3-bedroom in Phoenix for no more than $1350.  You can get a low-end 3-bedroom for around $850.
    Just be prepared to spend extra on the AC in summer.

• dhromed: Somehow I got it into my head that YOU had said that rent was ~$800 where you live... since I see nothing of the sort now, how much is it there?

@dhromed said:

@Sutherlands said:

A quick and short google search suggests that a 2-bedroom can cost you almost $9k. 

Wait, is that for a super-luxurious apartment, or is that a regular price? I'm not sure I'm getting an accurate picture.

Yeah, it's crazy.  That's probably luxurious.  Here's what seems to me to be standard pricing for "cheap" NYC (note, this is in Manhattan, you can get actual cheap in Brooklyn Queens or something).

@DCRoss said:

@Sutherlands said:

So... no. Unless you're saying that "any major US city" is "the few large cities with super-high housing costs". 3-bedrooms aren't 3x the price of 1-bedrooms. You can get a nice 3-bedroom in Phoenix for no more than $1350. You can get a low-end 3-bedroom for around $850

That's pretty cheap. In Detroit, it costs at least $2000 to buy a three bedroom house.

My brother wanted to buy a house for $5k in Chicago I think... we talked him out of it, luckily.  But just wait, the more people leave Detroit, the cheaper the houses will be.  Or you could just become squatters, I doubt anyone would notice in that ghost town.

• @boomzilla said:

@dhromed said:
    @Sutherlands said:

It's major-ish, but not a crazy cost of living type of place. I probably have a price at which I'd be willing to live in a city, but it's not very realistic, and for NYC in particular it would be completely ludicrous. I like the suburbs.

Phoenix is somewhat different in that it's basically all suburbs.  There's tons of space.

• @Sutherlands said:

dhromed: Somehow I got it into my head that YOU had said that rent was ~$800 where you live... since I see nothing of the sort now, how much is it there?

Yeah, that's what I said. It's um, right there, about ten posts up.

@dhromed said:

I have a 3-bedroom apartment with  a roommate, for ~$850.

When you get to 800 and up, you can start housing families. 

Although what people are willing to put up with or not, warps the definition of "can house a family".

• @Sutherlands said:

dhromed: Somehow I got it into my head that YOU had said that rent was ~$800 where you live... since I see nothing of the sort now, how much is it there?

@dhromed said:

@Sutherlands said:

Yeah, it's crazy.  That's probably luxurious.  Here's what seems to me to be standard pricing for "cheap" NYC (note, this is in Manhattan, you can get actual cheap in Brooklyn Queens or something).

Ok that link is a little more sane and that 1 bedroom apartment:

1 Bedroom - Peter Cooper Village From 947 sq ft From $3,270
    							<a href="http://www.pcvstliving.com/common/uploads/www_pcvstliving_com/floorplans/1corner_1bedroom.swf" target="_blank">
    								</a><br></td></tr></tbody></table><p>is usually a 2 bedroom apartment were I live, based on square feet. I pay about $1600 for such an apartment and it has the same size. But it is old and I live in a town not a big city (in europe).In the city close by (20 min by car) price would be double and hence very similar to NYC. So it makes no sense to live in the city...there are also trains every half-hour which may even be faster than by car depending on traffic </p><p>&nbsp;</p>

@blakeyrat said:

We're not nearly as homogeneous as any Europe-y countries.
    That's OK. You guys all live in Manhattan, downtown Chicago and Silicon Valley, right?

It's always harder to see the heterogeneity from afar. But just because you don't see it from your distant perspective doesn't mean it's not there. (“From 50,000 feet, everyone looks just like a very small ant.”)

• @dkf said:

Just because you don't see it from your distant perspective doesn't mean it's not there.

Everything behaves by different rules in america... like they're the best at everything, the only people with any kind of morality, and the only country with an uncorruptable government... I'm surprised they haven't told you about all this already?

• ♿ (Parody)

@eViLegion said:

@dkf said:
    Just because you don't see it from your distant perspective doesn't mean it's not there.

Everything behaves by different rules in america... like they're the best at everything, the only people with any kind of morality, and the only country with an uncorruptable government... I'm surprised they haven't told you about all this already?

You shouldn't believe everything flabdablet says. You need to get your story straight. Are we supposed to trust government or not? Because you were just talking about how much everyone hates the only major political party with a hint of distrust of governmental power.

• @boomzilla said:

You shouldn't believe everything flabdablet says. You need to get your story straight. Are we supposed to trust government or not? Because you were just talking about how much everyone hates the only major political party with a hint of distrust of governmental power.

You do understand that everything I have said here is simply relaying the bizarre concept of American exceptionalism to someone who might not have experienced it before right?
    I don't actually agree with it.

I'm pretty sure both of my posts are clear on the issue that your goverment isn't trustworthy (like pretty much all governments). I'm not saying the democrats are trustworthy either. But at least they maintain the pretense of not being cartoonishly xenophobic nationalists, rather than just being so openly awful that the entire world has no choice but to hate them, like the GOP.

• ♿ (Parody)

@eViLegion said:

I'm not saying the democrats are trustworthy either. But at least they maintain the pretense of not being cartoonishly xenophobic nationalists, rather than just being so openly awful that the entire world has no choice but to hate them, like the GOP.

I get it now. You're one of blakey's lizard people, freshly arrived.

• @boomzilla said:

Well, it looks like you won this round. I know you already think you did, but my capitulation in the face of such a well considered argument ought to provide you with additional confirmation. I don't use the word hero often...

• ♿ (Parody)

@eViLegion said:

@boomzilla said:

Well, it looks like you won this round. I know you already think you did, but my capitulation in the face of such a well considered argument ought to provide you with additional confirmation. I don't use the word hero often...

Thanks, I was running out of ways to point out your lack of connection to reality.

• @boomzilla said:

@eViLegion said:
    @boomzilla said:

Thanks, I was running out of ways to point out your lack of connection to reality.

The only thing you've actually done is ad hominem attacks, with no substance. You called me one of blakeys lizards you fool. I've actually been pretty reasonable, considering.

But hey, you win, because:

(1) You're American, and obviously that's the way God wants it.

(2) I can't be bothered to continue arguing with a pigeon.

• ♿ (Parody)

@eViLegion said:

The only thing you've actually done is ad hominem attacks, with no substance. You called me one of blakeys lizards you fool. I've actually been pretty reasonable, considering.

But hey, you win, because:

(1) You're American, and obviously that's the way God wants it.

(2) I can't be bothered to continue arguing with a pigeon.

Look, you've said multiple things that are blatantly false and I called you on it several times. If you're not a lizard man, then why do you know so many things that aren't so?

@eViLegion said:

the only country with an uncorruptable government...
    You win. You got me chuckling with that one.