Re: This thread title is sure to confuse email readers



  • I found an awesome quote from a forum member who will only partially be named.

    @M_______a_____t___ said:

    You post is the only trolling going on here. I have not accused anyone of trolling.



  • Any particular reason you're using a 5yr-old quote from MPS?



  • @PJH said:

    Any particular reason you're using a 5yr-old quote from MPS?

    I don't know. Lately Ben seems to just post crap like this for attention.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @PJH said:
    Any particular reason you're using a 5yr-old quote from MPS?
    I don't know. Lately Ben seems to just post crap like this for attention.

    My guess would be it is summertime but he is without some kind of summerjob.  Thus it's just a matter of having lots of time and being bored out of his mind.



  •  Go write a kernel or something.

     

    ha ha go



  • @dhromed said:

     Go write a kernel or something.

     

    ha ha go

     

    Rewrite the Linux kernel

    In Go

    On a Chromebook

    Eating ravioli

     



  •  Wit one hand, lying on his side.



  • @dhromed said:

     Wit one hand, lying on his side.

    Before anyone gets any weird ideas, the other hand is supporting my head.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Ben L. said:

    @dhromed said:

     Wit one hand, lying on his side.

    Before anyone gets any weird ideas, the other hand is supporting my head.


    Heh. Head.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    @Ben L. said:
    @dhromed said:

     Wit one hand, lying on his side.

    Before anyone gets any weird ideas, the other hand is supporting my head.


    Heh. Head.

    At least I said it before you got the weird ideas.



  • @PSWorx said:


    Kughtvzerukgvehnieuioöiwfwx jhfgreiougioer e uiuizhfu ig, krgj r. Vberiugzru4ri hzgeiu uk kjffjöüwf ujwfuidzhjn.

    Ioero ufwejhfwekjf kjergern jfhergeröpq95ritz45tz "huiof" iferhgferiofarehgjjgpv, rfgzfovkebvgurive-rvjerhgvjk?

    Bvuierhveilvkev, rbgveruewifkjx;
    Fivhreg8oiuruh - neiruzuif - giurzfoweikj;
    Vrjhgoieurjfwek "fweuif fwekuf" ejö ERUHG;
    Vkekjhewiufwn eiofrwlö.
    Gvrirehv uizhfhervbfoe uzfuerfgreikg,jvkelverj9igavjrlkbivlke, vgeergi - bverzfchbwjekfvefgi - vergiofhakbj...

    C ,cnn bry xgf ydco yrxajjrbcoy [ cy co ojpayjd.ev

  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    You will not buy that tobacconist because it is scratched?

    I don't see why morbiuswilters would approve that message.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    You will not buy that tobacconist because it is scratched?

    I don't see why morbiuswilters would approve that message.

    No, silly. msongf;,gpkdo; approves the message.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Ben L. said:

    msongf;,gpkdo;

    That was the hardest part of the cipher to crack. Still, simple substitution? You can do better!

    Speaking of which, have you ever read Cryptonomicon? It's a pretty good read, includes a viable way to encode a steganographic message in a deck of playing cards, that can be quickly erased by shuffling the cards.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    You made me write this.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    You made me write this.
     

    You're not even going to have it auto-guess based on common frequencies  in English?



  • I..o.w rb a urpgm ugnn ru b.peo (mfo.nu cbjnge.e) C ,rgne dak. .ql.jy.e orm.rb. yr p.jribc;. Ekrpatvvv


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Ben L. said:

    UGJTCBI D>NN <DF ER>O CY E>N>Y> RB> JDAPAJY>P <D>B C DCY XAJTOLAJ> RBJ>Z

    That's what it's supposed to do. You've been abused by CS too long.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @dhromed said:

    @joe.edwards said:

    You made me write this.
     

    You're not even going to have it auto-guess based on common frequencies  in English?

    The thought did cross my mind, though the letter frequencies proved less useful than I had hoped. The real problem is the size of the corpus (I only have about one sentence to work with). The sample size is small enough that random variation is pronounced. Also, Ben's a weird guy who writes weird things.

    What would actually be useful is matching words from a dictionary to patterns of letters... e.g., possible words for x1x2x3x1: that, twat, dead, teat, leal, rear, roar... Strong possibility x3 is "a".

    I'm mostly working from smaller words to larger words. x1 can only be I or a. x1x2 is likely one of: is, to, by, an, we... x1x2x3 is likely one of: the, and, for.



  • @edprm.e said:

    @hr.v.e,apeo said:
    Frg mae. m. ,pcy. ydco.

    Frg-p. bry .k.b ircbi yr dak. cy agyr[ig.oo xao.e rb jrmmrb up.'g.bjc.o cb >bincodZ

    Yd. ydrgidy ece jproo mf mcbew ydrgid yd. n.yy.p up.'g.bjc.o lprk.e n.oo go.ugn ydab C dae drl.ev Yd. p.an lprxn.m co yd. oc;. ru yd. jrplgo (C rbnf dak. axrgy rb. o.by.bj. yr ,rpt ,cyd)v Yd. oamln. oc;. co omann .brgid yday paberm kapcaycrb co lprbrgbj.ev Anorw X.b-o a ,.cpe igf ,dr ,pcy.o ,.cpe ydcbiov

    <day ,rgne ajygannf x. go.ugn co mayjdcbi ,rpeo uprm a ecjycrbapf yr layy.pbo ru n.yy.povvv .vivw lroocxn. ,rpeo urp q<sub>1q2q3x1S ydayw y,ayw e.aew y.ayw n.anw p.apw prapvvv Oyprbi lroocxcncyf q3 co _a_v

    C-m mroynf ,rptcbi uprm omann.p ,rpeo yr napi.p ,rpeov q1 jab rbnf x. C rp av q1q2 co nct.nf rb. ruS cow yrw xfw abw ,.vvv q1q2q3 co nct.nf rb. ruS yd.w abew urpv



  • @joe.edwards said:

    words
     

    I think you could bruteforce a small enough part of the input and see if it makes a sensible phrase, and use that to crack the rest.



  • @dhromed said:

    @joe.edwards said:

    words
     

    I think you could bruteforce a small enough part of the input and see if it makes a sensible phrase, and use that to crack the rest.

    You can just brute force the whole thing.  Pick a character at random for the first thing in the corpus and then a random for the second and so on.  Once you get a word that isn't a word then that letter guess was wrong, back a step and try something else that hasn't been used yet.  You end up needing a fair sized matrix to hold the guesses that you've tried for each character in the corpus, but it's not that big a memory hit.  Once you get a result add it to output then treat like a bad guess, that way you will get all of the results that work for a simple substitution cypher.  A quick glance over the results should tell you which it is.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    His first message had some garbage word that was designed to look like "morbiuswilters" in the ciphertext.

    Also, way to kill the fun of the interactive part. Hey, you know you if you write a chess game you can also just make both sides AIs and sit and watch and that's clearly much better.



  • I'm fairly certain his "cypher" was created by switching keyboard layout to Dvorak and continuing to type as if it was Qwerty.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @mott555 said:

    I'm fairly certain his "cypher" was created by switching keyboard layout to Dvorak and continuing to type as if it was Qwerty.


    I am such fail.



  • @joe.edwards said:

    @mott555 said:

    I'm fairly certain his "cypher" was created by switching keyboard layout to Dvorak and continuing to type as if it was Qwerty.


    I am such fail.

    Frg ap. ogjd uacnv

    Ogjd uacn cbe..ev

    Ydco mcidy d.nlv



  • @joe.edwards said:

    I am such fail. How did I miss that?
     

    Because by random chance that association wasn't foremost in your mind.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.