Http://www.chron.com/apps/emdjcs/Chiblingo_john_st_germain_17070a.jpg





  •  Sorry, Ben, that image is WAY too small for me to read. Could you possible repost it as a screenshot at your usual 3000px by 2000px resolution?



  • Thanks for hot-linking the image.

    Seriously, how hard is it to sign up on a free image hosting site and upload your images there? What is wrong with you people? Hotlinking wastes other people's bandwidth and you end up with shit like this, where either they 403 off-domain referers or they notice the traffic and take down the image..



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Thanks for hot-linking the image.

    Seriously, how hard is it to sign up on a free image hosting site and upload your images there? What is wrong with you people? Hotlinking wastes other people's bandwidth and you end up with shit like this, where either they 403 off-domain referers or they notice the traffic and take down the image..

    I assure you, the thing you are seeing IS the correct image.



  • @Ben L. said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    Thanks for hot-linking the image.

    Seriously, how hard is it to sign up on a free image hosting site and upload your images there? What is wrong with you people? Hotlinking wastes other people's bandwidth and you end up with shit like this, where either they 403 off-domain referers or they notice the traffic and take down the image..

    I assure you, the thing you are seeing IS the correct image.

    So what's the fucking joke, then? Why do you find it so difficult to provide even one fucking sentence to describe what is going on? Seriously, you suck at making threads.



  • Is someone gonna rehost the image or... what's going on here?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Is someone gonna rehost the image or... what's going on here?



  • Ben L, you are soon going to replace Boomzilla as "worst person on these forums". Fuck off.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Ben L, you are soon going to replace Boomzilla as "worst person on these forums". Fuck off.

    I'm pretty sure that award goes to Ronald.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    So what's the fucking joke, then?
    Back when Ben was around 13 there was a thread about some Javascript code from The Houston Chronicle which contained the line: @specialDave.js said:

    DaveImgs[i].src='http://www.chron.com/apps/emdjcs/Chiblingo_john_st_germain_17070a.jpg';

    Apparently, at some point in the last 5 years, the person in the picture ("Dave"?) requested that they take down the picture, so, noticing a lot of traffic from here, they pointed the URL to the picture in Ben's OP. @morbiuswilters said:
    Seriously, how hard is it to sign up on a free image hosting site and upload your images there?
    Although I agree with that, even that doesn't always work.  I had to quit using ImageShack because they had this weird habit of randomly deleting some of my pictures.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    So what's the fucking joke, then?
    Back when Ben was around 13 there was a thread about some Javascript code from The Houston Chronicle which contained the line: @specialDave.js said:

    DaveImgs[i].src='http://www.chron.com/apps/emdjcs/Chiblingo_john_st_germain_17070a.jpg';

    Apparently, at some point in the last 5 years, the person in the picture ("Dave"?) requested that they take down the picture, so, noticing a lot of traffic from here, they pointed the URL to the picture in Ben's OP.

     

    And then Ben started a thread with none of the above explaination, which forced El Heffe to take time out of his masturbation schedule to post it instead.

    Ironically, El Heffe masturbates solely to threads which contain overly long explainations to unfunny jokes, so it worked out well for him in the end.

    @El_Heffe said:

    Although I agree with that, even that doesn't always work.  I had to quit using ImageShack because they had this weird habit of randomly deleting some of my pictures.

    Imgur seems to be the host-de-jeur.  I haven't had them explode a photo on me yet.  It's only a matter of time, of course. If you really want your joke to make sense 5 year down the road, just host your own site. As long as you keep the images relatively small, it shouldn't cut into any appreciable bandwidth limit set by your host. I've posted links to images to which I have access to the server logs. You get a few hundred hits, max, plus the usual bit of ongoing traffic from Google Images.

    Honestly, there's a few really good jokes that are totally ruined because way back when I used free hosts instead of my own. Including a MFD entry that won me some stickers. Not a day goes by that I don't pour a 40 for that image.

    Also, I'm very drunk right now.

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Filed under: Not really a WTF, Lame

    Last I checked, this was the Unfunny Stuff forum.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    just host your own site. As long as you keep the images relatively small, it shouldn't cut into any appreciable bandwidth limit set by your host. I've posted links to images to which I have access to the server logs. You get a few hundred hits, max, plus the usual bit of ongoing traffic from Google Images.
    Which is why I've never understood people getting all pissy about hotlinking.  There are reasons to not hotlink, but bandwidth isn't one of them.  @Lorne Kates said:
    there's a few really good jokes that are totally ruined because way back when I used free hosts instead of my own.
    The other day, just out of curiosity, I went back and found my very first post here, which is completely blank.  Looking at the page source I see that I posted a picture but the URL no longer works. There's a semi-WTF story about that:

    A guy (not me) starts a website with some forums on it and he sets up his own picture hosting site. If you want to post pictures in one of the forums you have to upload them to his picture hosting.  You could also use his picture hosting just like you would any other free site.  One day, the picture hosting website gets hacked and hijacked.  He can't figure out to how completely regain control so he registers a new domain name that's very similar to the old one and transfers all the pictures over to the new domain. So now, that picture I posted back in '07 still exists, but it has a different URL.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Which is why I've never understood people getting all pissy about hotlinking.  There are reasons to not hotlink, but bandwidth isn't one of them.
     

    Something something timepod something.

    @El_Heffe said:

    So now, that picture I posted back in '07 still exists, but it has a different URL.

    Aren't you Shadowmod? Can't you just go back and edit your ancient posts?

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    Aren't you Shadowmod? Can't you just go back and edit your ancient posts?
    No, I am not him.  And even if I possessed such powers, I would have no interest in editing a 6 year old post.  Most of the time I can't be bothered to edit a post I made 5 minutes ago.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    And then Ben started a thread with none of the above explaination, which forced El Heffe to take time out
    What can I say.  I felt sorry for him. He's just a kid and his parents make him hang out with a bunch of old guys.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    Ironically, El Heffe masturbates solely to threads which contain overly long explainations to unfunny jokes, so it worked out well for him in the end.

    That's not irony.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    So what's the fucking joke, then?
    Back when Ben was around 13 there was a thread about some Javascript code from The Houston Chronicle which contained the line: @specialDave.js said:

    DaveImgs[i].src='http://www.chron.com/apps/emdjcs/Chiblingo_john_st_germain_17070a.jpg';

    Apparently, at some point in the last 5 years, the person in the picture ("Dave"?) requested that they take down the picture, so, noticing a lot of traffic from here, they pointed the URL to the picture in Ben's OP. @morbiuswilters said:
    Seriously, how hard is it to sign up on a free image hosting site and upload your images there?
    Although I agree with that, even that doesn't always work.  I had to quit using ImageShack because they had this weird habit of randomly deleting some of my pictures.

    Thank you for actually bothering to explain WTF was going on.

    Ben, if you don't start giving more context (or any context) to your threads, they're going into the bit bucket. Seriously, it would have taken about 30s for you to type out a brief explanation of what was going on.



  • @Ben L. said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Ben L, you are soon going to replace Boomzilla as "worst person on these forums". Fuck off.

    I'm pretty sure that award goes to Ronald.


    Haha, you're both wrong!



  • @mikeTheLiar said:

    @Ben L. said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Ben L, you are soon going to replace Boomzilla as "worst person on these forums". Fuck off.

    I'm pretty sure that award goes to Ronald.


    Haha, you're both wrong!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.