There’s an app for that, and that only (aka nailing a single use case)

•  Can we get this thread back on track and figure out why Morbs would choose politics over good hummus?  I'd buy hummus from Ayn-Fracking-Rand if it was as killer as he made it sound.

• @stinerman said:

Can we get this thread back on track and figure out why Morbs would choose politics over good hummus?  I'd buy hummus from Ayn-Fracking-Rand if it was as killer as he made it sound.

It was really, really good. Rich with olive oil, whole chick peas mixed in, and garnished with peperoncinis. The iced coffee was black and naturally sweet-ish. But I'm not going to eat at Stalin's Cafe, no matter how good the food is.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Ronald said:

Hey you can induce several different vision problems using his shirt alone.

FTFY

• @morbiuswilters said:

It was really, really good. Rich with olive oil, whole chick peas mixed in, and garnished with peperoncinis. The iced coffee was black and naturally sweet-ish.

I'd rather eat a bowl of sawdust mixed with turtle piss. And crab juice.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Ronald said:

Hey you can diagnose several different vision problems using his shirt alone.

I use that picture now for monitor troubleshooting.  If those shirts don't look like shit then the monitor is broken.

• Here's an idea for a booth at six flags.

• @Ronald said:

Here's an idea for a booth at six flags.

Why didn't you photoshop the girl's head, too?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ronald said:
    Here's an idea for a booth at six flags.

Why didn't you photoshop MS-Paint the girl's head, too?

FTFY. I won't be called a photoshopist.

• @Ronald said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    Why didn't you photoshop MS-Paint the girl's head, too?

Oh, I see, looking closer I realize you just replaced it with another Asian woman's head. Very subtly done, though. Your paint skills are admirable.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Instead, you're the douchebag in the 18th century who was like "Why aren't you wearing a powdered wig? Powdered wigs show your status and are the right thing to wear." And those people all ended up tarred and feathered and shot in the face.
    Actually, a lot of them got guillotined (one of the few French inventions that people remember these days).

• @Severity One said:

...(one of the few French inventions that people remember these days).

What about gay sex? Or limp-wristed cowardice?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Severity One said:

And strikes.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Severity One said:

Actually, a lot of them got guillotined (one of the few French inventions that people remember these days).
    I thought that was a British invention (though later revised by the frogs).

• @Ronald said:

Not with those "skills", you won't.

The Shirt looks much better on dhromed anyway. I'm sure he'll disagree.

I need a higher-quality morbius though.

• @Zecc said:

@Ronald said:

Not with those "skills", you won't.

The Shirt looks much better on dhromed anyway. I'm sure he'll disagree.

I need a higher-quality morbius though.

Looks like you started on the right side and when you got to the chick it was getting close to the time for Grey's Anatomy on ABC so you rushed the job and went to see if the good people at the Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital were able to deal with the storm.

• Actual order was: morbius → El Heffe → dhromed → dhromed's chest hair→El Heffe's slight shave →morbius' better hair *

Incidently, The Gimp's handling of layers sucks. You have three separate tools for moving, rotating and scaling a layer (at least they have keyboard shortcuts); and with the latter two the original unrotated/unscaled layer remains on screen until you commit (there's a popup in case you want to input exact numbers). Meanwhile, the rotated/scaled version becomes completely opaque, making exact positioning even harder (again until you commit, after which it becomes transparent again).

* No, really.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Zecc said:

The Gimp

"You get used to it. I-- I don't even see the thread. I just see derailment points, flamewar-sparks, trolls..."

• @dhromed said:

Shops by and large only carry what's "in style" anyway, so I'm somewhat fashionable whether I like it or not.

If you want to find stores that carry clothes that aren't "in style", try major department stores.

My clothing of preference for the last two decades has been jeans (jean shorts in warm weather) and a solid-colored T-shirt. Occasionally I'll wear khakis (or equivalent shorts) or a polo-style shirt (collar and three buttons). As far as I know, that has never been "in style", but I can walk into any department store and find all of that in just about any season.

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Severity One said:

And strikes.

And surrender. And poorly made vehicles.

• @RobFreundlich said:

@dhromed said:
    Shops by and large only carry what's "in style" anyway, so I'm somewhat fashionable whether I like it or not.

If you want to find stores that carry clothes that aren't "in style", try major department stores.

My clothing of preference for the last two decades has been jeans (jean shorts in warm weather) and a solid-colored T-shirt.

[img]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/ZB8UXJE7zps/hqdefault.jpg[/img]

• @Douglasac said:

They built the best tank in the world for about 20 years.

• @Hatshepsut said:

@RobFreundlich said:
    @dhromed said:

My clothing of preference for the last two decades has been jeans (jean shorts in warm weather) and a solid-colored T-shirt.

My belly is way cuter than that. But cutoffs are just gross! Give me a nice neat hem any day.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Douglasac said:

They built the best tank in the world for about 20 years.

And yet the same company makes buses with indicator stalks that require you to remove a hand from the steering wheel to use and can't work in weather above 28 degrees celcius. Most Euro buses don't cope well in the heat, but the Renaults just give up entirely.

• @Douglasac said:

And poorly made vehicles.
    As a kid I  went to visit a friend who lived just down the street from a Citroen dealer.  Whenever I would pass there I would stop and stare, marvelling at how horrendously ugly those cars were.  And why was there a Citroen dealer in Ohio?

• @El_Heffe said:

@Douglasac said:

As a kid I  went to visit a friend who lived just down the street from a Citroen dealer.  Whenever I would pass there I would stop and stare, marvelling at how horrendously ugly those cars were.  And why was there a Citroen dealer in Ohio?

I can never quite understand how europe can make the best looking sports cars in the world AND the ugliest POS "city cars" ever inflicted upon the eyes of an unsuspecting populace.

• @dkf said:

@Severity One said:
    I thought that was a British invention (though later revised by the frogs).
    There have been a couple. The one from Halifax looks like the oldest one, although they had them in Ireland, Scotland and the Papel States (part of present-day Italy) as well.

The French, however, improved it considerably (and the Germans further perfected it), allowing executions on an industrial scale.

• @Douglasac said:

They built the best steam locomotive in the world. Which, in typical fashion, was highly embarrassing to the politicians and bosses, and so it remained just a single unit during its short lifetime.

We're all engineers here, but few of people can match the genius of André Chapelon. His life story would be very suitable for this site, in fact.

• @Severity One said:

We're all engineers here, but few of people can match the genius of André Chapelon. His life story would be very suitable for this site, in fact.

The greatest engineer is J Walter Christie, who is American.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Severity One said:

Some guy who invented some part of a tank? Bo-ring.

• @Ben L. said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @Severity One said:

Some guy who invented some part of a tank? Bo-ring.

My favorite engineer is Delilah H. Blow. She didn't even graduate high school, but with hard work and determination, she invented the job that bears her name.

• @Snooder said:

I can never quite understand how europe can make the best looking sports cars in the world AND the ugliest POS "city cars" ever inflicted upon the eyes of an unsuspecting populace.
    Yeah, because Europe is this place where all car design is the same. No real difference between a Czechoslovakian Škoda and an Italian Alfa Romeo.

Strictly speaking, a Porsche 911 is a flattened Volkswagen Beetle. Both were designed by the same guy, and only relatively recently has the style of the headlights changed from the typical Beetle-look.

And designers go through phases. At the beginning of the century, for example, Renault had clearly lost the plot. The design of the 2003 Mégane was one of those love-it-or-hate-it things, but the Vel Satis was simply ugly from every angle. And until a few years ago, almost the entire BMW range was just ugly.

But if I look around, I can't really say that small European cars are ugly. That I wouldn't want to be seen dead in one is another issue, but really ugly? For ugly cars, I think the USA is still your prime destination (Hummer for example), closely followed by some of the weirder Japanese designs. With the exception of sports/muscle cars such as Corvettes and Mustangs, which look very nice indeed, I find American designs immediately forgettable.

• @Severity One said:

But if I look around, I can't really say that small European cars are ugly. That I wouldn't want to be seen dead in one is another issue, but really ugly? For ugly cars, I think the USA is still your prime destination (Hummer for example),

Fiat Multipla vs. Pontiac Aztek... GO!

Whoever wins, we lose.

•  Ah yes, the Multipla. Apparently, it's a very well thought-out car. Unfortunately, they forgot that clever design doesn't equate visually pleasing design. Not even advertising with Michael Schumacher (six times Formula 1 champion) could help that. That Pontiac... I'd rather not comment.

Right now I'm driving this:

But with smaller alloys; mine are "only" 18". Looks a lot faster than it is, but seriously fun to drive.

• @blakeyrat said:

Whoever wins, we lose.

A new challenger approaches!

• @Zecc said:

@blakeyrat said:

Whoever wins, we lose.

Nissan JOKE

OLOLOLOLOLOLOL

•  Yes, people asked me, why don't you get a Nissan Juke? Because it looks like shit, that's why.

• @dhromed said:

@Zecc said:

@blakeyrat said:

Whoever wins, we lose.

Nissan JOKE

OLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Any of those three look like they let Homer Simpson design a car.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Severity One said:
    But if I look around, I can't really say that small European cars are ugly. That I wouldn't want to be seen dead in one is another issue, but really ugly? For ugly cars, I think the USA is still your prime destination (Hummer for example),

Whoever wins, we lose.

If the contest is a game of chicken, then if they tie, we win!

• @Zecc said:

This car looks sad, it breaks my heart. I prefer when a car looks shifty and cunning, like the old Pontiac Sunbird.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Severity One said:

Whoever wins, we lose.

Is it too late to enter the contest? here is the Nissan Cube and its lovely back window.

• @Severity One said:

Ah yes, the Multipla. Apparently, it's a very well thought-out car. Unfortunately, they forgot that clever design doesn't equate visually pleasing design. Not even advertising with Michael Schumacher (six times Formula 1 champion) could help that. That Pontiac... I'd rather not comment.

Right now I'm driving this:

But with smaller alloys; mine are "only" 18". Looks a lot faster than it is, but seriously fun to drive.

Did it come with a u-haul for those inconvenient moments where you need more than 0.25 cubic ft of storage, like getting milk and bread at the 7-11.

•  It fits three adults in the back and a supermarket trolley full of shopping in the boot (or 'trunk', as some misguided people call it). If it weren't remarkably practical for the kind of car that it is, I don't think my wife would have let me buy it.

• @Ronald said:

Did it come with a u-haul for those inconvenient moments where you need more than 0.25 cubic ft of storage, like getting milk and bread at the 7-11.

I always use my Ariel Atom for that.

• @Severity One said:

It fits three adults in the back

Either that car is way bigger than it looks, or Maltese adults are midgets. (Or maybe the three adults have been liquified and poured into the back..)

@Severity One said:

supermarket trolley wagon

FTFY.

•  It's way bigger than it looks. Up to a height of about six feet 1.85m you have enough leg and head room, although you probably wouldn't want to sit three abreast then, except for short distances. I tried it myself and yes, as an average-height Dutchman I'm 1.85m. No problem sitting in the back.

Getting in and out of the car, that's a different issue, though. Although yesterday I drove my 77-year old mother-in-law and she managed, so hey.

• @Severity One said:

as an average-height Dutchman I'm 1.85m.

How the fuck is everybody Dutch all of a sudden!

Now I'm not unique and exotic anymore for those hot IT girls.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Severity One said:
    supermarket shopping trolley wagon cart

FTFY.

FTFY.

•  Good grief, don't tell me you also say "truck" or "semi", instead of the proper word, "lorry", like God and the Queen intend English to be spoken.

• @morbiuswilters said:

[...] or Maltese adults are midgets.
    That's a pretty accurate description, in my view at least.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Severity One said:

Good grief, don't tell me you also say "truck" or "semi", instead of the proper word, "lorry", like God and the Queen intend English to be spoken.

Wheel enhanced automobile.