Protecting the truly important stuff

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Snooder said:

@boomzilla said:

I don't know much about the "Murdoch press" in Australia, but the opposite is clearly true here in the US, where the NY Times and NBC News are some of the biggest grievance mongers. I disagree on your perception of the major US political parties, you won't be surprised to hear. And this isn't new. The Democratic party has relied on racist appeals for over a century and a half, and shows no signs of slowing. Lest you imagine I wrote things I didn't, I'm not saying that there aren't sections of the Republican party that have issues, but the problems are much smaller and definitely less monolithic, and they don't support harmful things like affirmative action in education, for example.

Actually, the modern Democratic party has very little resemblance to the Southern Democrats of yesteryear. That wing of the party defected en-masse and turned into the Republican party in the 50s and 60s when it was clear the the rest of the Democratic party supported civil rights.

What is this I don't even. I'm sure that is news to Bull Durham, George "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever" Wallace, and the Ku Klux Klan (wiki: "As a secret vigilante group, the Klan targeted freedmen and their allies; it sought to restore white supremacy by threats and violence, including murder, against black and white Republicans. In 1870 and 1871, the federal government passed the Force Acts, which were used to prosecute Klan crimes.[19] Prosecution of Klan crimes and enforcement of the Force Acts suppressed Klan activity. In 1874 and later, however, newly organized and openly active paramilitary organizations, such as the White League and the Red Shirts, started a fresh round of violence aimed at suppressing blacks' voting and running Republicans out of office. These contributed to segregationist white Democrats regaining political power in all the Southern states by 1877").

Hey, it turns out wikipedia has a list of segregationists during the Civil Rights era. Holy crap, nearly all of the names on that are Democrats. It's almost like Snooder doesn't now what the fuck he's talking about! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_segregationists_during_the_African-American_Civil_Rights_Movement_(1955%E2%80%9368) Let's just name-drop Bull Connor, too, who, "[t]hrough his covert actions to enforce racial segregation and deny civil rights to Black citizens, especially during the Southern Christian Leadership Conference's Birmingham Campaign of 1963, [...] became an international symbol of racism. Connor infamously directed the use of fire hoses and police attack dogs against peaceful demonstrators, including children."

Did you know that the Civil Rights Act was supported by 80% of Republicans in Congress, but only 60% of Democrats?

@Snooder said:

@PJH said:

@Snooder said:

@boomzilla said:

Yes, he was one who was legit. But they end up picking many more who are not in order to fill out a quota, or whatever legal fiction has replaced them. You haven't justified putting people into situations for which they are unqualified, which is what modern educational affirmative action does.

No they don't.

Yes. They really do. What colour's the sky in your world today?

The important bit that you are missing there is

He said that focusing on A-level grades alone “may not identify the best
    students with the most potential”

Just having high test scores alone doesn't necessarily make you qualified. There are other things that come into play, like how ambitious you are, how disciplined and willing to grind out day-to-day exercises, how focused you are, how important your career goals are.

Are you really advocating for the ambitious, driven, disciplined student, who somehow can't be bothered to get good grades?

Who spends 2 grand on SAT tutors? My entire SAT prep consisted of going through about three workbooks at home, and I got around the 98th percentile. If you need that kind of coaching, you're probably not cut out for college. This doesn't mean you're stupid, but that perhaps there are other career paths that are more suitable.

@FrostCat said:

[blah blah blah statement of stuff anyone could find out on Wikipedia drone drone drone]
    Did you have a point or were you just boring us all for your own amusement?

• @FrostCat said:

Are you really advocating for the ambitious, driven, disciplined student, who somehow can't be bothered to get good grades?

Who spends 2 grand on SAT tutors? My entire SAT prep consisted of going through about three workbooks at home, and I got around the 98th percentile. If you need that kind of coaching, you're probably not cut out for college. This doesn't mean you're stupid, but that perhaps there are other career paths that are more suitable.

No, I'm advocating for the sort of driven and ambitious student who gets good grades despite other setbacks and obstacles which would normally result in very poor grades, but can't get the ridiculous sorts of grades that kids who have their entire life-path smoothed for them by helpful parents can get. Look, I got a better score than you did on the SAT and I only used one workbook. Does not mean a fucking thing. I know people who took the test once, got a 1300 and then their parents paid for tutors to bump them up to the mid 1400s. Are they idiots? No. They're probably all off being doctors and lawyers or bankers or whatever and doing just fine at it. Having worse test scores than I did didn't mean shit as far as their ability to do well after high school and college. So a kid who didn't have the parents they did would still be just a good of a doctor/lawyer, but he won't get the chance if all colleges went on were his initial, un-tutored 1300 score.

Btw, if you're going to check out wikipedia, at least do it right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

• @drurowin said:

Once I'm out of there, I'm going to be writing up my whole door-to-door experience with these guys, unredacted, and post it to another forum I'm a member of, but I'll link it here.

@drurowin said:

Another 12 days. I'm already up to page 10 right now, though.

@drurowin said:

As for employee turnover, yeah there was a pile of badges on the security desk, but it doesn't look like a ghost town or anything in the office. If I had to guess, it's probably 5% or less quit over this fiasco. Also, once I post the full unredacted story (with company names), you should be able to independently verify it. Hell, ring them and ask!

ping!

Any updates? The whole thread took the TM/GZ detour through the shitter . . . the only reason I kept following the thread was because I was curious which company you worked for.

• @nonpartisan said:

*ping!*

Any updates? The whole thread took the TM/GZ detour through the shitter . . . the only reason I kept following the thread was because I was curious which company you worked for.

A few people people accused drurowin of making the whole thing up. IIRC, drurowin never actually admitted it, but he stopped posting any more about the story. To me, at least, this is a tacet admission that it was a hoax, but it was a good one while it lasted.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@nonpartisan said:

ping!

A few people people accused drurowin of making the whole thing up. IIRC, drurowin never actually admitted it, but he stopped posting any more about the story. To me, at least, this is a tacet admission that it was a hoax, but it was a good one while it lasted.

The people who accused him are also pretty quiet lately. There is a rumor that they all took the extra advertising money that this story brought in and went for a 3-week vacation in Colorado Springs with the regular TDWTF staff, which explains the delays in the results for the OMG2 challenge.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@nonpartisan said:

*ping!*

Yeah, I know.  I remember those accusations.  My ping was more of a "put up or shut up"-type poke, while trying to give the benefit of a doubt.  Perhaps still writing the story, dunno.  Back to lurking . . .

• @HardwareGeek said:

I'm sort of torn between really hoping it wasn't a hoax, and appalled at the thought of it being real.

• @eViLegion said:

I'm sort of torn between really hoping it wasn't a hoax, and appalled at the thought of it being real.

There's probably a gem of truth, exaggerated beyond all belief.

• Considered Harmful

@blakeyrat said:

@eViLegion said:

There's probably a gem of truth, exaggerated beyond all belief.

I don't know about gem. Maybe kernel of corn.

• @ochrist said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Then again, most of them had armed guards in the lobby who would check your ID before letting you even get on an elevator.

I'm glad that I live in a country where only the police are allowed to have weapons :-)

So instead, you have armed police who check your ID before they let you walk down the street.

• Considered Harmful

@HardwareGeek said:

@nonpartisan said:

ping!

This was the same guy who said he used either a blank or extremely simple password. Maybe someone locked him out of his account.