Hooray data loss

• @Liquid Egg Product said:

@eViLegion said:
    Awesome! Voting is a big deal, right up until you realise that 99% of the people who can vote are total fucking idiots.

Please don't shatter my illusion that people are willingly ignorant rather than actually stupid.

I think you need to spend more time browsing Yahoo Answers.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

Here's a tip: nobody gives a shit how old you (or any of us) actually are. 18, 19, 27, 64...it doesn't fucking matter.

Is Mike a bitter, old man?

• @KattMan said:

The other thing 18 gets you...

That girl you been having sex with, that turns 18 two weeks later, now makes you a pedophile. It doesn't matter that you are only 2 weeks apart in age.

The age of consent in most states is not 18. How do you people not know this? Also, many states have a "sliding window" to account for just such circumstances.

• @boomzilla said:

False dichotomy!

The worst feeling is being one-upped by C.S. Lewis.

• @Ronald said:

@Liquid Egg Product said:
    @eViLegion said:
    Awesome! Voting is a big deal, right up until you realise that 99% of the people who can vote are total fucking idiots.

Please don't shatter my illusion that people are willingly ignorant rather than actually stupid.

I think you need to spend more time browsing Yahoo Answers.

Shhhh! I'm also cultivating the illusion that there aren't people that take that site seriously!

• @morbiuswilters said:

@mikeTheLiar said:
    Here's a tip: nobody gives a shit how old you (or any of us) actually are. 18, 19, 27, 64...it doesn't fucking matter.

Is Mike a bitter, old man?

Only in spirit. But I've been a bitter old man in spirit since I was about 12.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@mikeTheLiar said:

Only in spirit. But I've been a bitter old man in spirit since I was about 12.

Better than the other way around.

• What I do is just create a Cygwin symlink instead of a Windows junction point:

ln -s /home/Miff /cygdrive/c/Users/Miff

It used to use a Windows shortcut (!) to store it on the filesystem, now it uses a plain file format with the system attribute.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@KattMan said:

That girl you been having sex with, that turns 18 two weeks later, now makes you a pedophile. It doesn't matter that you are only 2 weeks apart in age.

The age of consent in most states is not 18. How do you people not know this? Also, many states have a "sliding window" to account for just such circumstances.

Protip: California is the default United State.

• @MiffTheFox said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @KattMan said:

Well that's what you get for wilfully* living in the USSA.

*if you're a skilled enough programmer to post here and not be a total dumbshit, you could totally afford to emigrate to a country with sane laws, like England, Australia, or Japan.

• @KattMan said:

A paedophile is someone who finds children sexually attractive. You are thinking of statutory rape, which isn't necessarily the same thing.

Also I don't think any reasonable legal system would bother trying to prosecute anything consensual with such a minor age difference.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

No, TRWTF is that turning 18 doesn't allow you to do anything exciting in the US.

When I turn 18 it will let me put soap in the dispenser by the back sink at work. Yes, you have to be 18 to put a bar of soap (not some nasty stuff, they have us wipe down the tables and chairs with it, which requires us to touch the solution, and it's a special bar that has to be at least 120 degrees (F) to dissolve) in a machine that sprays it with hot water. The more nasty mop stuff, however, we can fill with no restrictions. It doesn't make any sense... we can handle the bars of soap, and we can handle hot water (even much hotter water from the coffee machines), but we can't put a bar of soap in a box with hot water, unless it's the floor cleaning kind of soap.

• @drurowin said:

Well that's what you get for wilfully* living in the USSA.

What the fuck are you talking about, you moron?

@drurowin said:

*if you're a skilled enough programmer to post here and not be a total dumbshit, you could totally afford to emigrate to a country with sane laws, like England, Australia, or Japan.

I'd rather die than living in those hellholes.

• @cheapie said:

@mikeTheLiar said:

No, TRWTF is that turning 18 doesn't allow you to do anything exciting in the US.

When I turn 18 it will let me put soap in the dispenser by the back sink at work. Yes, you have to be 18 to put a bar of soap (not some nasty stuff, they have us wipe down the tables and chairs with it, which requires us to touch the solution, and it's a special bar that has to be at least 120 degrees (F) to dissolve) in a machine that sprays it with hot water. The more nasty mop stuff, however, we can fill with no restrictions. It doesn't make any sense... we can handle the bars of soap, and we can handle hot water (even much hotter water from the coffee machines), but we can't put a bar of soap in a box with hot water, unless it's the floor cleaning kind of soap.

Did this forum just merge with a fast food worker's forum?

• @MiffTheFox said:

Protip: I don't think anyone from Clownifornia posts here.

Second protip: California is one of the states that uses a sliding window. It's not illegal for an 18 year old to bone his 16 year old girlfriend. It is illegal for a 17 year old to have sex with a 13 year old (and unless you're some sicko, furry, pervert like drurowin, you probably think this is a good thing.)

• @morbiuswilters said:

It is illegal for a 17 year old to have sex with a 13 year old (and unless you're some sicko, furry, pervert like drurowin, you probably think this is a good thing.)

Yeah, don't let those nasty 17 y/o spoil the golden geese.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Australia is one of the places with the happiest places to live FYI.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/28/australia-best-place-live-work

• @cheapie said:

You have a job and are under 18. Consider yourself lucky.

My (second) college didn't let me into their careers program because I "couldn't prove I was coachable" because I had never had a job. (I was 19 at the time. I got my first job at 20. I'm at a different school now too.)

• @drurowin said:

not be a total dumbshit

But who gets to decide who the dumbshits are? Half of this forum thinks the other half are fucking idiots, and vice-versa.

• @lucas said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Australia is one of the places with the happiest places to live FYI.

Well, ignorance is bliss, after all.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

@drurowin said:
    not be a total dumbshit

But who gets to decide who the dumbshits are? Half of this forum thinks the other half are fucking idiots, and vice-versa.

That first half is nothing but drooling retards!

• @morbiuswilters said:

I'm from Clownifornia...

...but I don't live there now.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I'm from Clownifornia...

That makes you a carrier. Are your current neighbors and co-workers vaccinated against California?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@HardwareGeek said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

I'm from Clownifornia...

That makes you a carrier. Are your current neighbors and co-workers vaccinated against California?

According to the Internet, salt cures California.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I don't think so. There seem to be just as many nut-cases here in Washington state as in California – and you can't blame it on me; I haven't lived here long enough to have infected that many people.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Second protip: California is one of the states that uses a sliding window. It's not illegal for an 18 year old to bone his 16 year old girlfriend. It is illegal for a 17 year old to have sex with a 13 year old (and unless you're some sicko, furry, pervert like drurowin, you probably think this is a good thing.)
    So just to be clear, absolutely the only thing you approve of about California is their permissiveness towards underage sex? Good man...

Just to raise your blood pressure a little, it's only recently that England and Wales changed the law such that if an underage boy insinuated his way into an underage girl, he was no longer automatically presumed to have raped her. Meanwhile, in Scotland, if a man and a woman both get so drunk that neither is able to consent to sex, but somehow they manage to fumble their way to some union, he has raped her.

What will really upset you, though, is that when the sexual offences laws here were updated a few years back all the old offences were abolished, and new ones created. By an oversight, for about six years necrophilia was legal in the UK (as long as you were the legal owner of the corpse in question). Sadly, that loophole's now been closed by specific legislation, so you missed your chance.

• ♿ (Parody)

@drurowin said:

if you're a skilled enough programmer to post here and not be a total dumbshit, you could totally afford to emigrate to a country with sane laws, like England, Australia, or Japan.

What's the definition of "sane" where you live. It's clearly not the same as where I am. Or do you just not get out of the padded room much?

• @boomzilla said:

What's the definition of "sane" where you live. It's clearly not the same as where I am.

It clearly doesn't include anyone who posts on TDWTF.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

'

Sounds more like insane standard union work rules.

• @TDWTF123 said:

So just to be clear, absolutely the only thing you approve of about California is their permissiveness towards underage sex? Good man...

Permissiveness? They seem to have a fairly reasonable take--they're not going to send an 18 year old to jail for boning his 17 year old girl (although I don't think any state would.) But being under 18 doesn't give you free reign to go after kids, either.

@TDWTF123 said:

Just to raise your blood pressure a little, it's only recently that England and Wales changed the law such that if an underage boy insinuated his way into an underage girl, he was no longer automatically presumed to have raped her.

The age of consent in Mexico is, like, no joke, 12.

@TDWTF123 said:

Meanwhile, in Scotland, if a man and a woman both get so drunk that neither is able to consent to sex, but somehow they manage to fumble their way to some union, he has raped her.

So just to be clear, you're saying that there has never been consensual sex in Scotland.

@TDWTF123 said:

as long as you were the legal owner of the corpse in question

Wait, how the hell do you legally own a corpse??

• @boomzilla said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    '

Sounds more like insane standard union work rules.

But why are we hearing about someone putting out soap? Is this now "The Daily What The Soap"?

• @morbiuswilters said:

So just to be clear, you're saying that there has never been consensual sex in Scotland.
    Unless you include sheep.

• @morbiuswilters said:

"The Daily What The Soap"?
    I like it!

• @morbiuswilters said:

Well, ignorance is bliss, after all.

Yes certainly in your case it seems.

• @lucas said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    Well, ignorance rugged, sensual masculinity is bliss soul-crushing ennui, after all.

Yes certainly in your case it seems.

FTFM.

• @DrPepper said:

Its not just junction points (whatever they are???). I set up dropbox on my computer at home; pointed it to a folder that had a bunch of videos of my golden puppies

You mean golden showers, I reckon?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@lucas said:

@KattMan said:

A paedophile is someone who finds children sexually attractive. You are thinking of statutory rape ephebophilia, which isn't necessarily the same thing.

HTH, HAND.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@KattMan said:

On the other hand, considering 18 the age of consent errs on the side of safety in every state, so it's a useful magic number in that respect.

And once she's eighteen, there are no restrictions on her partner's age.  I realized in the midst of another online conversation yesterday that just a couple of months ago I hit a birthday that makes it possible for me to sleep with someone one-third my age without breaking any laws.

• @da Doctah said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@KattMan said:

On the other hand, considering 18 the age of consent errs on the side of safety in every state, so it's a useful magic number in that respect.

And once she's eighteen, there are no restrictions on her partner's age.  I realized in the midst of another online conversation yesterday that just a couple of months ago I hit a birthday that makes it possible for me to sleep with someone one-third my age without breaking any laws.
    Ben is probably looking for a date.  Just saying.

• @da Doctah said:

I hit a birthday that makes it possible for me to sleep with someone one-third my age without breaking any laws.

Oh dear; me too. Thank you so much for making me aware of this milestone in my life.

• @HardwareGeek said:

@da Doctah said:
    I hit a birthday that makes it possible for me to sleep with someone one-third my age without breaking any laws.

Oh dear; me too. Thank you so much for making me aware of this milestone in my life.

I bet there's some country where that's true about me, too. Thailand, or one of the perverted European countries, like Belgium.

• @morbiuswilters said:

The age of consent in most states is not 18. How do you people not know this?
    I just learned this a couple of years ago.

(a) Most people don't know every law in their state. (Most people just barely know any laws in their state).

(b) It's not like they publicize this sort of thing.  They don't put a big article in the newspaper that says "Hey guys, good news!! You can bone that 16 year old girl now!"

(3) And even if they did, the people most likely to bone a 16 year old girl don't read newspapers.

(d) Realistically, It has no effect on me because the reaction of any girl that young would be:

eeeewwwww! Get away from me old man
         \

• @morbiuswilters said:

Is this now "The Daily What The Soap"?

Yes!

Barf
    Supermarket Olympics
    Micro&Soft and LinuxBaconCat Food

• @cheapie said:

Bacon

• @da Doctah said:

I never thought about that but . . . . me too.

Shit, now I really feel old.

• @cheapie said:

Micro&Soft and Linux
    Is that a German Walmart?

• @El_Heffe said:

It's not like they publicize this sort of thing.  They don't put a big article in the newspaper that says "Hey guys, good news!! You can bone that 16 year old girl now!"
    Having revealed above that I'm old enough to have been born into a USA with only 49 states (ghad, I'm older than the damn President!), it can also be revealed that there was no national drinking age at the critical point in my life.  A few people thought it was important to point out when I got out of college and took my first real job on the other side of a state line that I was moving, at the age of twenty, from a state where I wasn't yet allowed to drink legally into one where I would have been legal for over two years already.

Actually, I don't drink.  Never did.  Just as I don't have anything in common with no-longer-jailbait teens that would lead me to think pursuing them would be something I'd actually want to do.  But I suppose it's nice to know I do have options.

• @drurowin said:

Is that a German Walmart?

I think so.

• @da Doctah said:

Having revealed above that I'm old enough to have been born into a USA with only 49 states

Yeah, I missed the 48-state era by four days.
    @da Doctah said:
    Actually, I don't drink.  Never did. 

Hm, I'm not the only one.
    @da Doctah said:
    Just as I don't have anything in common with no-longer-jailbait teens

I used to think I couldn't relate to anyone who couldn't remember JFK's assassination (not that I was old enough to really understand the significance at the time, but it's one of those moments you never forget), but I've realized that kind of thing isn't as important to me any more. That's not to say I'm seriously interested in chasing teens, jailbait or otherwise; if I were to try, their reaction is certainly be, as you wrote earlier:
    @da Doctah said:

Plus, my daughter would be totally weirded-out if I hooked up with someone younger than her. So would I, for that matter. Yuck!

• @El_Heffe said:

Realistically, It has no effect on me because the reaction of any girl that young would be:

<br>

This is 2013. More likely she would say: "throw in an iPhone and I'll go bareback".