Are there actually any rules here?



  • I mean, I've been operating under the assumption that there aren't, but then I periodically appear to get moderated for use of the word cunt.
    I don't mind exactly, but I'd like to know under what situation I can call a spade, a spade.... and indeed, a cunt, a cunt?



  • There are limits, though they are indeed pretty far off. I can only think of 2 people who have really gotten in trouble and gotten kicked off. One was apparently too racist against south Asians, and the other...I don't even remember what he did any more.



  • Tae Wong got kicked off the island for being a markov chain.



  • @Ben L. said:

    Tae Wong got kicked off the island for being a markov chain.

    True. Spammers, too. I was only considering actual forum participants. I almost used "good faith" but I'm not sure that applies to anyone around here.



  • @eViLegion said:

    I mean, I've been operating under the assumption that there aren't, but then I periodically appear to get moderated for use of the word cunt.
    I don't mind exactly, but I'd like to know under what situation I can call a spade, a spade.... and indeed, a cunt, a cunt?
     

    Sure. Just don't be a cunt about it.



  • The most common things that the mods mod are either adding paragraphs to walls of text or (if ShadowMod is paying attention) converting xkcds to Rosies. I'm not aware of ever being personally modded, though I'm not sure I would pay close enough attention to notice.



  • @boomzilla said:

    @Ben L. said:
    Tae Wong got kicked off the island for being a markov chain.

    True. Spammers, too. I was only considering actual forum participants. I almost used "good faith" but I'm not sure that applies to anyone around here.

    Tae Wong was a special kind of spam bot. He was smarter than 40% of TDWTF's population. 70% if you include the front page commenters.



  • I find it hard to believe you were modded for "cunt", considering the other stuff people throw around here regularly.



  • Hey, at least it's not xkcd!<!-- To ShadowMod: If you change my image, leave this line intact. Thanks, someone who hasn't been a minor for nearly a year. -->



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    Sure. Just don't be a cunt about it.

    Not sure I'll manage that. I am a bit of a cunt, you see!

    @blakeyrat said:

    I find it hard to believe you were modded for "cunt", considering the other stuff people throw around here regularly.

    Well thats what confused me you see!


    I've gotten away with being far more offensive directly at people, then I called Jon C. (from the article today) a lazy cunt and apparently that wasn't allowed.



    Maybe I just forgot to click 'post' though... its the sort of thing I would do.



  • @eViLegion said:

    I've gotten away with being far more offensive directly at people, then I called Jon C. (from the article today) a lazy cunt and apparently that wasn't allowed.

    The front page is a whole different world. Who knows what those savages get up to?



  • @eViLegion said:

    I've gotten away with being far more offensive directly at people, then I called Jon C. (from the article today) a lazy cunt and apparently that wasn't allowed.

    Wait, when you say "here" do you mean "here (the forum)" or "here (the front page)"?

    Because I can tell you right now the front page is a completely different world with no link to this one. I wager the moderation is similarly completely different.



  • @eViLegion said:

    I periodically appear to get moderated for use of the word cunt.
     

    Not likely. Are you sure you're wholly fabricating events in your mind?



  • @eViLegion said:

    then I called Jon C. (from the article today) a lazy cunt and apparently that wasn't allowed.
     

    Oh, I should have read the thread. The front page articles are a whole different ecosystem, you stupid cunt.

     

    This forum is basically the speakeasy in the back of the establishment, where the front has to keep up appearances more.



  • I would never moderate "cunt". The only non-spam I would moderate would be strong racial slurs, used in earnest. Like, if you call someone the n-word, expect to get censored or deleted. If you used it while talking about the word itself, or while trying to make a point about racism, that I would leave alone. Same thing about any other racial slurs. (And before someone whines, "European" and "American" aren't races..)



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    (And before someone whines, "European" and "American" aren't races..)
    You'd think that would be obvious.  In races, there's supposed to be a winner.



  • I got moderated all the time when I used to post on the front page comments. But to be fair, a huge number of my posts were the Darth Vader "I've X'd your Y, pray I don't X it any further" meme when that was popular. Call me juvenile but I got too much of a kick from that one.



  • @mott555 said:

    I got moderated all the time when I used to post on the front page comments. But to be fair, a huge number of my posts were the Darth Vader "I've X'd your Y, pray I don't X it any further" meme when that was popular. Call me juvenile but I got too much of a kick from that one.

     

    I moderated your Darth Vader "I've X'd your Y, pray I don't X it any further" post. Pray I don't moderate it any further.

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @mott555 said:

    I got moderated all the time when I used to post on the front page comments. But to be fair, a huge number of my posts were the Darth Vader "I've X'd your Y, pray I don't X it any further" meme when that was popular. Call me juvenile but I got too much of a kick from that one.

     

    I moderated your Darth Vader "I've X'd your Y, pray I don't X it any further" post. Pray I don't moderate it any further.

    Man, the front page is run by a bunch of stupid, nerdy, sensitive, stupid, idiot-heads.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Man, the front page is run by a bunch of stupid, nerdy, sensitive, stupid, idiot-heads who are cunts.
     

    CTFY



  • @Lorne Cunts said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Cunt, the cunt page is cunt by a cunt of stupid, cunty, sensitive, stupid, cunt</cunt>-heads who are cunts.
     

    CTFY cunt

    CTFY



  • I think I managed to double-post a while back and got an email notifying me that one of them had been deleted.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Like, if you call someone the n-word, expect to get censored or deleted.

    Can I call anyone boot polish?



  • @boomzilla said:

    There are limits, though they are indeed pretty far off. I can only think of 2 people who have really gotten in trouble and gotten kicked off. One was apparently too racist against south Asians, and the other...I don't even remember what he did any more.

    You mean MasterPlanSoftware? The one troll who ended up annoying none other than Alex P., the very owner of this site. IIRC he got banned but took advantage of some weird CommunityServer bug to keep on posting/trolling ¡till Alex actually excised him permanently.
    Hell, in the 6? 7? years I've been here he's the only one I've seen vaporized.



  • Re: Are there actually any cunts here?

    @danixdefcon5 said:

    @boomzilla said:
    There are limits, though they are indeed pretty far off. I can only think of 2 people who have really gotten in trouble and gotten kicked off. One was apparently too racist against south Asians, and the other...I don't even remember what he did any more.

    You mean MasterPlanSoftware? The one troll who ended up annoying none other than Alex P., the very owner of this site. IIRC he got banned but took advantage of some weird CommunityServer bug to keep on posting/trolling ¡till Alex actually excised him permanently.
    Hell, in the 6? 7? years I've been here he's the only one I've seen vaporized.

    From what I've read in the archives, that guy was a real cunt.



  • @Ben L. said:

    @danixdefcon5 said:
    @boomzilla said:
    There are limits, though they are indeed pretty far off. I can only think of 2 people who have really gotten in trouble and gotten kicked off. One was apparently too racist against south Asians, and the other...I don't even remember what he did any more.

    You mean MasterPlanSoftware? The one troll who ended up annoying none other than Alex P., the very owner of this site. IIRC he got banned but took advantage of some weird CommunityServer bug to keep on posting/trolling ¡till Alex actually excised him permanently.
    Hell, in the 6? 7? years I've been here he's the only one I've seen vaporized.

    From what I've read in the archives, that guy was a real cunt.

    I'm fairly certain most of his posts were excised at the time of his departure. From the database itself, as opposed to being moved to the no-man's land part of the forum (which is why where he does appear, his post count is only 108 - I have over 1000 separate threads in my email history with his username in it.)



  • @danixdefcon5 said:

    @boomzilla said:
    There are limits, though they are indeed pretty far off. I can only think of 2 people who have really gotten in trouble and gotten kicked off. One was apparently too racist against south Asians, and the other...I don't even remember what he did any more.

    You mean MasterPlanSoftware? The one troll who ended up annoying none other than Alex P., the very owner of this site. IIRC he got banned but took advantage of some weird CommunityServer bug to keep on posting/trolling ¡till Alex actually excised him permanently.
    Hell, in the 6? 7? years I've been here he's the only one I've seen vaporized.

    There was also TunnelRat.



  • Good to know the rules before posting anything on a forum. But I guess the number 1 rule is to just respect the opinion of other members of the community.



  • @eina26 said:

    But I guess the number 1 rule is to just respect the opinion of other members of the community.
    On most forums yes...



  • @boomzilla said:

    There was also TunnelRat.
    He's still posting on the internet. Not as frequently, but he's certainly still around; though he seems to have buggered off voluntarily, rather than being kicked off, since his account is still technically active. MPS's is set to banned.



  • @PJH said:

    @boomzilla said:
    There was also TunnelRat.
    He's still posting on the internet.
     

    I've actually been reading his blog.

    Some of the archived stuff with him attempting to team-lead developers is worth a chuckle.

    Especially when he rants about bad UI, despite his blog using "< NEXT || PREVIOUS >" for navigation.



  • @Cassidy said:

    Especially when he rants about bad UI,
    Can't say I've noticed him ranting about that in particular.

    despite his blog using "< NEXT || PREVIOUS >" for navigation.
    Yuck. Never actually been to his site; I get his rants via RSS.


  • @PJH said:

    @Cassidy said:
    Especially when he rants about bad UI,
    Can't say I've noticed him ranting about that in particular.
     

    It was an early post. I've not read much else of his blog just yet.



  • @Cassidy said:

    @PJH said:
    @Cassidy said:
    Especially when he rants about bad UI,
    Can't say I've noticed him ranting about that in particular.
     

    It was an early post. I've not read much else of his blog just yet.

    Some of the very early stuff in his blog. like the link you mention, it's somewhat entertaining.  Similar to some of the WTF stories posted here.  But it seems that the last several years has been nothing but non-stop ranting about H1-Bs.

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    But it seems that the last several years has been nothing but non-stop ranting about H1-Bs.
    That was, as I recall, the most noticeable aspect of his content submitted to these boards as well.



  •  I'll probably stop once I get there.

    I'm at the point where it's already started to interrupt the daily diary. Won't be long now.



  • @Cassidy said:

     I'll probably stop once I get there.

    I'm at the point where it's already started to interrupt the daily diary. Won't be long now.

    What /are/ you talking about, and who are you replying to?



  • @PJH said:

    What /are/ you talking about
    TunnelRat's blog.

    @PJH said:

    and who are you replying to?
    Both you n El_Heffe. Quoting failure on my part there.

    @Cassidy said:

    I'll probably stop reading TunnelRat's blog once I get to the non-stop ranting about H1-Bs.

    Given more time (and less impatience on my part), that reply would have clarified things.



  • @Cassidy said:

    @PJH said:
    What /are/ you talking about
    TunnelRat's blog.

    @PJH said:

    and who are you replying to?
    Both you n El_Heffe. Quoting failure on my part there.

    @Cassidy said:

    I'll probably stop reading TunnelRat's blog once I get to the non-stop ranting about H1-Bs.

    Given more time (and less impatience on my part), that reply would have clarified things.

    It appears that the non-stop H1-B rants start Jan. 2009.  There are posts all the way up to a week ago, so that's 4 1/2 years worth.  Jeez, give it a rest already.

     



  • What exactly is TunnelRat? One of blakey's smelly underlings? A lizardman from the planet the-planet-with-lizardmen-on-it?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.