Firefox for Android

• Trolleybus Mechanic

My flipphone broke. I is sad. I'm sure I *can* fix it, but given the parts and costs and-- oh, look, a Samsung smartphone for $100. And I can keep my cheapass pay-as-you-go plan. Deal.

I've official joined the 20th century by ditching Old Flippy. I understand these new things have the Interwhatsits on it. I want to browse the Interthings. I just need a browser. Hey, that's Firefox! I know this.

I'll just install it, done. And open it up and set my favorite home page to... to... um. Hmm, no, it's just some cluttered as fuck looking default screen. Fair enough, that's what Firefox always looks like until you set a home page. Where do I set the home page? Tools, nope that's for add ons. Settings-- lots of those, but no home page. Am I-- am I going to have to about:config this shit?

No-- it's not even there. Why can I not set a homepage? WHAT FUCKING BROWSER DOESN'T LET YOU SET A HOME PAGE?!?!?!

Oh, right-- [url="https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/949666"]Firefox[/url].

Way to win the browser wars there, guys.  I wonder other standard features they've decided I don't need. =(

• I must have the last flipphone then.  Of course mine is prepaid and has all of $0.00 on it, so I don't know that it qualifies.  You win.

• Yeah, Firefox is a lost cause. Been telling you people for a couple of years. Glad to know I'm still a trendsetter.

Here's another lost cause: Android. In fact, I literally just composed the following rant on Facebook, not 10 minutes ago. I am not even lying, I just typed it up and hit enter not 10 minutes ago:

@me said:

To whoever made the date selector widget on Android:

Thank you so much for destroying the usability of what should be a very simple interaction. Let's say I need to set an appointment for 10:55--first I go to set the hour to 10. Now, instead of having it default to, say, the upcoming hour, it usually defaults to 00. Handy for all those midnight appointments in your life; clearly Google did a lot of focus testing with pimps, drug dealers and cat burglars.

Then I go to select the minute. Since it's at :00, I will scroll backwards a tiny bit to :55 instead of forward a whole bunch. Oh, what's this? The hour just rolled back to 9?? WHAT A DELIGHTFUL FEATURE! I mean, clearly when somebody is modifying the minute they actually intended for it to also roll back the hour--THAT'S WHAT THE MINUTE SELECTOR IS FOR!!

Seriously, this shit has been pissing me off for a very long time, Google. Do you not do any fucking usability testing? Are your developers just idiots who have never had to enter a fucking appointment in their own crappy, crappy software?

I have, like, 50 more I've been composing in my head over the last 4 years of using this fucking piece of shit "operating system". I'm just popping here, Lorne.. I'm popping.

Popping.

• Pooping.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Then I go to select the minute. Since it's at :00, I will scroll backwards a tiny bit to :55 instead of forward a whole bunch. Oh, what's this? The hour just rolled back to 9?? WHAT A DELIGHTFUL FEATURE! I mean, clearly when somebody is modifying the minute they actually intended for it to also roll back the hour--THAT'S WHAT THE MINUTE SELECTOR IS FOR!!

If you scroll the hour backwards to 23, does it change the date?

@Lorne: What's the purpose of a home page in a browser you can't exit? That is, the browser never exits unless you kill it with the task manager or it randomly decides to exit when you switch to a different app for a moment, and even then it'll remember your tabs, like, half the time.

• @Lorne Kates said:

I've official joined the 20th century by ditching Old Flippy.

Just how old are you?!

• @Vempele said:

If you scroll the hour backwards to 23, does it change the date?

No, the time and date are two separate selectors.
    It'll happily roll back dates the same way as times though. It can even change the year field when you're scrolling through the days.
    Just trying to set a time and a date on android makes me want to kill someone.

• For what it's worth, Google finally fixed scrolling backwards changing the date or time in Ice Cream Sandwich+. ([b]edit:[/b] no they didn't, actually, settings app still rolls back date/time if you cross a boundary...) But then carriers and manufacturers and updates mean the only people who actually benefit from this are people buying new phones and people buying their devices direct from Google, which is a WTF in itself.

More WTFs? Google Calendar no longer uses the system-default date picker OR the system-default time picker. The stock clock/alarm crossover app doesn't use the system default time picker either. In fact, it's incredibly bloody difficult to find an app that DOES use either of the system-default pickers. The "People"/Contacts app does for selecting "Event" (i.e. Birthday/anniversary) dates.

Actual Stock widget:

[url=https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-m2UPkuTyQNrw0TG-jlwYz6OdkrZDOxVXDSLpTilErnbvle2ESmiXBf_C6rfrwggZA=w1600][img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-m2UPkuTyQNrw0TG-jlwYz6OdkrZDOxVXDSLpTilErnbvle2ESmiXBf_C6rfrwggZA=w200[/img][/url]

Stock Clock app:

[url=https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/qS8NQahr16ksmHds04k2_ksj0retyyEliyBSZZ5g8giE0-1vDCODT7fkR5tIvbLIZA=w1600][img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/qS8NQahr16ksmHds04k2_ksj0retyyEliyBSZZ5g8giE0-1vDCODT7fkR5tIvbLIZA=w200[/img][/url]

Google Calendar:

[url=https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/QYMwgU-aoZ-xZA5wFtPyRWfJcUsOdQKtgdjvxpoCZqy6IYGis93CfP0WDmTapJGHFg=w1600][img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/QYMwgU-aoZ-xZA5wFtPyRWfJcUsOdQKtgdjvxpoCZqy6IYGis93CfP0WDmTapJGHFg=w200[/img][/url]
    [url=https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Fs8GsDV4UIR8KsN0KvUNVo8JiFlNAThMtk1GvHYi2GbV0wUKrwQbWciQlMXgN8wTYg=w1600][img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Fs8GsDV4UIR8KsN0KvUNVo8JiFlNAThMtk1GvHYi2GbV0wUKrwQbWciQlMXgN8wTYg=w200[/img][/url]

...but this rant is entirely unrelated to Firefox on Android, which I despise anyway.

• @lukegb said:

All your images are 403s. Good job.

• Garbage Person

@Lorne Kates said:

I did that back in January.

I suspect this means the last active flip phone in existence is my dev team's on-call rotation phone. You know, the thing where it rings we have 30 minutes to establish a VPN connection and start fixing problems.

I argued long and hard to get it switched to a goddamn smartphone with a tethering plan so Step 1 of every incident isn't "Abandon what you were doing and drive to the nearest wifi-equipped coffee shop or McDonalds" - nevermind that the corporate laptops are NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES supposed to be connected to public wifi.

But no, the only way the company will buy a data plan is if the device is issued to a specific person (who can be held accountable for abuse). Rotation phones can not have data plans. Ever.

I use Android Firefox for pr0n, because it's the only browser I could get running Flash under ICS.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

Oh, what's this? The hour just rolled back to 9??

I noticed that when I set my first calendar appointment. 

Frowny face.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Yeah, Firefox is a lost cause. Been telling you people for a couple of years. Glad to know I'm still a trendsetter.

Here's another lost cause: Android. In fact, I literally just composed the following rant on Facebook, not 10 minutes ago. I am not even lying, I just typed it up and hit enter not 10 minutes ago:

@me said:

To whoever made the date selector widget on Android:

Thank you so much for destroying the usability of what should be a very simple interaction. Let's say I need to set an appointment for 10:55--first I go to set the hour to 10. Now, instead of having it default to, say, the upcoming hour, it usually defaults to 00. Handy for all those midnight appointments in your life; clearly Google did a lot of focus testing with pimps, drug dealers and cat burglars.

Seriously, this shit has been pissing me off for a very long time, Google. Do you not do any fucking usability testing? Are your developers just idiots who have never had to enter a fucking appointment in their own crappy, crappy software?

I have, like, 50 more I've been composing in my head over the last 4 years of using this fucking piece of shit "operating system". I'm just popping here, Lorne.. I'm popping.

Popping.

Tap in the middle of the picker, use the keypad that pops up to type in "55".  Not that big a deal.

Sent from my iPhone

• @stinerman said:

I must have the last flipphone then.  Of course mine is prepaid and has all of $0.00 on it, so I don't know that it qualifies.  You win.
    My cell phone is so old, it has a [i]dial[/i].

Then people under 30 don't get the joke.

• @Salamander said:

@Lorne Kates said:

Just how old are you?!

Lorne spends a lot of time in the Time Pods conked-out on soma, so it's kind of hard to say.

• Eh, better then setting an alarm on my Nexus 7. I put Cyanogenmod on it and now trying to open the alarm settings causes Clock to force close.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Eh, better then setting an alarm on my Nexus 7. I put Cyanogenmod on it and now trying to open the alarm settings causes Clock to force close.

I think if you're flashing your ROM, that's sort of outside of the supported functionality.

• @drurowin said:

Tap in the middle of the picker, use the keypad that pops up to type in "55".  Not that big a deal.

I know about this. It's still a shitty work-around for a fuck-tarded UI.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Oh, what's this? The hour just rolled back to 9??

I noticed that when I set my first calendar appointment. 

Frowny face.

You probably have the new Gmail on there. Wow, did they fuck that one up, too! This is a classic example of "if it's not broke, fix it till it is".

First, they replace my beloved checkboxes with these huge, hideous fucking "avatars". I guess it's part of their "the beatings will continue until G+ adoption improves" initiative. Of course, since most of my contacts aren't on G+, the emails just have brightly-colored blocks in them with the first letter of the sender's name. Right now I have a lot of As for emails from Amazon and Ns for emails from the NRA. This clearly makes Gmail the killer app Google has been needing to take down Apple and Facebook..

Now, this just looks like shit. The colors are like salmon, purple, sky blue and baby-shit yellow. The Gmail app no longer looks like something a professional adult would use, but instead something a colorblind tween would be using. Probably because tweens are the only people left using Android, and only then because their tech-illiterate parents ruined Christmas by assuming any phone with a big screen was an "iPhone".

The functionality of the checkboxes is still there, you just have to click the hideous, blinding squares. Now, that's obviously what a user would do, right? I mean, I've used the old app forever and I knew there used to be checkboxes there and it still took me a day to figure out "Hey, if I click the rod-and-cone-searing boxes, it acts like checking that email!" So clearly your average user is going to figure this out.

But that's just the start of what the ruined. Let's open an email, shall we? Used to be, there was a toolbar along the top for reply-and-shit, and a toolbar on the bottom for delete-and-shit.

There is no longer a toolbar on the bottom. Now delete is hidden under a menu. The one action I'm most likely to use is now hidden under a fucking menu. (I'm not replying to emails on Android because typing on the touchscreen is like pulling teeth. I just use Android to check my email, and 99% of the time I just end up deleting a message. If it turns out it's important and I need to reply to it later, I click "Mark as Unread"--the little envelope, yes the icons Google has chosen are absolute shit--and reply to it when I'm at a real computer.)

So in one fell-update, Google has manage to fuck up Gmail. And they already fucked it up in the last update, because the ambiguous icons ("Odd gray box with down arrow? Is that some kind of powerup?") used to be text labels, just like Gmail used to default to (thanks again for the tip on changing it back to text, btw.)

At this rate, I figure the next Gmail update will just be an animated monkey who dances across the screen and throws handfuls of shit at your emails and somehow he gives your children leukemia.

• @D-Coder said:

@stinerman said:

I must have the last flipphone then.  Of course mine is prepaid and has all of $0.00 on it, so I don't know that it qualifies.  You win.
    My cell phone is so old, it has a dial.

Grandma stinerman had a rotary phone.  Those were the days.

• @D-Coder said:

@stinerman said:

I'm under 30 and the first several phones I ever used were rotary. I was probably 5 or 6 before my grandparents got a touch tone phone. And the phones my parents and grandparents had were still rented from the phone company.

(ITT: Old people think they're older than they actually are.)

• @morbiuswilters said:

@D-Coder said:

@stinerman said:

I'm under 30 and the first several phones I ever used were rotary. I was probably 5 or 6 before my grandparents got a touch tone phone. And the phones my parents and grandparents had were still rented from the phone company.

I'm 18 years old and I've used a rotary phone, cassette tapes, Windows 95 (in DOS mode), 5 1/4 inch floppies, ...

TRWTF is that other people my age never heard of any of those things.

• @Ben L. said:

I'm 18 years old...

Happy Birthday!

@Ben L. said:

...I've used a rotary phone, cassette tapes, Windows 95 (in DOS mode), 5 1/4 inch floppies, ...

The first computer I ever owned was made the year before I was born. I played a lot of text adventure games. Also sorta taught myself Basic.

@Ben L. said:

Most people under 30 are profoundly retarded. I mean, all people are pretty retarded, but "millenials" take the cake for being ignorant, lazy, selfish, entitled, narcissistic pieces of shit who are interested only in instant gratification and thinking that being the wealthiest generation in the wealthiest nation on Earth--literally the luckiest people who have ever lived--makes them eligible for victim status. You know, because their dad called their gauged ears "hideous" and "faggy" (hint: they are.) And because society expected them to leave college after a mere 12 years of aimless drifting, and actually pay back the $200k of student loan money they borrowed to pay for iPhones, tattoos and drugs. (Not the abortions, though. All half-dozen of those were provided free by the gun-pointed-at-their-heads taxpayers..)

Our generation might actually be worse than the Boomers, and I hate the Boomers. My only consolation is that there is no way in hell my generation is going to pay for the Boomers' retirement. No fucking way. A lot of it is laziness and entitlement, but we are not going to work our asses off so the Boomers can sit around and play golf and get caught up in retarded "spiritual" fads and have orgies.

Fuck no. Those old pricks are going to be soylent greened so fast it will make their ill-kempt heads spin. We are going to slash SS and Medicare to the bone, shove them into "managed care facilities" that might as well be concentration camps and then burn that shit to the ground. And it will all be their fault for being such selfish pricks who raised such awful, selfish children.

• Garbage Person

@morbiuswilters said:

but "millenials" take the cake for being ignorant, lazy, selfish, entitled, narcissistic pieces of shit who are interested only in instant gratification and thinking that being the wealthiest generation in the wealthiest nation on Earth--literally the luckiest people who have ever lived--makes them eligible for victim status.
    Just for clarity, we're talking about those cockstains born in the 90's and beyond, right? Because the 1983-1989 crowd seems relatively well adjusted in comparison. Totally psychotic, but well adjusted in comparison. At least we seem to have a basic understanding of the mechanics of the universe - it's just that how much of a damn we give about it varies from "None" or "Maybe a little bit, if it's in my interests".

(I'm 1986)

• @Ben L. said:

5 1/4 inch floppies
    I'm older than you and I haven't. I think I saw one at some point, but that's about it.

I still have plenty of 3 ½ floppies stored somewhere though, including some converted to high density. That and ZX Spectrum tapes.

I was also a fortunate enough child to own a Magnavox Odyssey² aka Philips Videopac G7000. It included, in particular, this wonderful game:
    Computer Golf!
    Check out the awesome graphics and sound!

Race and Spin-Out were pretty cool too.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

Those old pricks are going to be soylent greened so fast it will make their ill-kempt heads spin.

That's just a given. Centrifuging the meat off the bones IS the most effective way of producing mechanically separated meat product.

• @Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @D-Coder said:

@stinerman said:

I'm 18 years old and I've used a rotary phone, cassette tapes, Windows 95 (in DOS mode), 5 1/4 inch floppies, ...

That's the point of the remark after the joke. It is the result of extensive research among women aged 18-45. It's not supposed to be an absolute statement.

Try this one: My cell phone is so old, the user's guide is in Minoan Linear B.

For many people, you have to use "Latin," otherwise they don't understand the joke.

• @Lorne Kates said:

Filed under: Holy cross-fucking Vishna I can't for the life of me spell "seperated" without spiel check
    Neither can I, and I have the same problem with "dispite" and "envolved".

Fun fact: the word "envolved" exists in the Wiktionary. But today still isn't the day I can be bothered and go delete it.

• @Lorne Kates said:

Filed under: Holy cross-fucking Vishna I can't for the life of me spell "seperated" without spiel check

Having just once visited this place back in the late '70s, I have never had a problem with that word since.

• @morbiuswilters said:

What about a party line?

• @El_Heffe said:

What about a party line?
    The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire. Follow the leader, leader, leader...

• SyFy channel ran the first episode of Primeval: New World last night, the spinoff of the original British series about dinosaurs coming through "anomalies" (definition: whirling clouds of broken glass shards) and wreaking havoc.

When someone who's just discovered that she needs help dealing with dinosaurs, she calls (bright girl!) the "government", and gets put in touch with a guy who's been stuck in a basement office since the 1950s waiting for something to do.  Having been persuaded that he's actually now in the loop, he activates several steps of a half-century-old protocol (unlocking a rusty Rolodex to extract a key, using that key to open a battered briefcase with a sandwich and another key inside, etc) that eventually presents him with a phone number and password, whereupon he dials that number on a rotary desk phone and gives the password to the person on the other end of the line.

• @Zecc said:

@Lorne Kates said:

Neither can I, and I have the same problem with "dispite" and "envolved".

Fun fact: the word "envolved" exists in the Wiktionary. But today still isn't the day I can be bothered and go delete it.

TRWTF is English. Separated/seperated is the result of the feature of the language I hate most of all: schwas. Basically it's a vowel sound that can be written as any vowel in English, even y. Maybe one day having practically everyone write for a lot of their communication will re-fluidify English spelling and we'll all be writing a simplified dialect, but first we have to get rid of the preconception of a "correct" spelling, like how we have no concept of a "correct" pronunciation.

trwtf is english. separated/seperated is the result of the featur of the languag i hate most ov al: schwas. basicly its a vowel sond that can be writen as any vowel in english, even y. maybe one day having practicaly everyon write for a lot ov their comunication wil re-fluidify english speling and wel al be writing a simplified dilect, but first we hav to get rid of the preconception ov a "corect" speling, lik how we hav no concept ov a "corect" prenounciation.

• @MiffTheFox said:

TRWTF is English..
    Tomb rhymes with womb.  But not with comb or bomb.

Tone rhymes with bone. But not with done or gone.

The opposite of farfetched is not nearfetched.

Smart ass is not the opposite of dumb ass.

Wise guy is not the same as wise man.

• @El_Heffe said:

@MiffTheFox said:

TRWTF is English..

The opposite of farfetched is not nearfetched.

Smart ass is not the opposite of dumb ass.

Wise guy is not the same as wise man.

Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:
    I'm 18 years old...

Happy Birthday!

That's not for a few more days...

• @Ben L. said:

Worst use of a link to Wikipedia ever.

• @MiffTheFox said:

@Ben L. said:

I'm sure I can make a worse one.

• @Ben L. said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    @Ben L. said:

I'm sure I can make a worse one.

No, using it to convey a date it worse then using it as a non sequitur.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Maybe one day having practically everyone write for a lot of their communication will re-fluidify English spelling and we'll all be writing a simplified dialect, but first we have to get rid of the preconception of a "correct" spelling, like how we have no concept of a "correct" pronunciation.

Why not just make the spelling simpler?

• @El_Heffe said:

@morbiuswilters said:

What about a party line?

I know what they are, but we never had one that I know of.

• @Weng said:

Just for clarity, we're talking about those cockstains born in the 90's and beyond, right?

I think most people put the start of the Millenials around 1982.

@Weng said:

Because the 1983-1989 crowd seems relatively well adjusted in comparison. Totally psychotic, but well adjusted in comparison. At least we seem to have a basic understanding of the mechanics of the universe - it's just that how much of a damn we give about it varies from "None" or "Maybe a little bit, if it's in my interests".

I know someone who is entering his 11th year of college. And he's debating 5 more years. And he's not pursuing medicine or advanced math or something like that; just various liberal arts he follows for a bit then drops.

Here's the thing: I consider him a good person; he's smart and albeit a bit impractical, at least he's actually very academic and really loves exploring these fields. I've met many, many people around our ages who are absolute scumbags. Unemployed, on food stamps, several kids they ignore, $40k customized new car and they sell drugs for a living. Or rip people off. The thing is, it seems like it's barely even looked down on by a lot of our peers--to them scamming people and cheating the welfare state are perfectly acceptable life choices.

@Weng said:

(I'm 1986)

You're making me feel old... :(

• @Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Ben L. said:
    I'm 18 years old...

Happy Birthday!

"Officer, I swear, he told me he was 18..."

struggles against the police, shouts back over his shoulder "YOU SET ME UP, YOU LITTLE COCKMUNCH! I SWEAR TO GOD, WHEN I GET OUT OF JAIL, YOU'LL GET YOURS!"

• @morbiuswilters said:

Its even worse having to set a time around the 30-minutes-past-the-hour mark. I HATE it. Scrolling all the way through the entire range of minutes takes so long, chances are you are already too late for your appointment by the time you are finished entering it.

• @El_Heffe said:

None of the following start with the same sound: "Chasm", "charade", "church".

Also, I and E are seemingly ordered completely at random. I before E, you say? "Their", "societal", "idiocies".

• @Lorne Kates said:

Way to win the browser wars there, guys.  I wonder other standard features they've decided I don't need.
    How about organizing your bookmarks? I mean, who doesn't want to keep scrolling through a single flat list of dozens or hundreds of items? Arranging them in a hierarchical structure and grouping them in categories is so boring.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Anonymouse said:

How about organizing your bookmarks?.

I read the first link, and...

@Fucking Mozilla's Ass-Mouth Developers said:

"Awesome Screen"

{twitch}

You know the #1 reason people didn't want anything to do with the enhanced address bar in Firefox?  Because of the retarded name: "Awesome Bar".  People MIGHT have warmed up to the feature if it hadn't sounded like it was named by a spastic, ADHD 9 year old who just discovered his penis and just HAD to show everyone at the public pool.

I--URRRK--fFU WHYAHAH!

[Error: Rant jammed in tray F. Please clear jam and ensure Rant levels do not exceed manufacture's recommended rage limits]

• @Faxmachinen said:

Also, I and E are seemingly ordered completely at random. I before E, you say? "Their", "societal", "idiocies".
    It's like halfway-through you forgot you wanted to disprove "I before E".

But, message recieved.

• Considered Harmful

@Zecc said:

@Faxmachinen said:

But, message recieved.

There is an omitted clause in the false adage about "except after C" he was presumably disproving.

• @Zecc said:

recieved
    People in glass houses and all, I know my English isn't perfect, but this misspelling is one of my pet peeves, for some reason.

• @joe.edwards said:

@Zecc said:

@Faxmachinen said:

But, message recieved.

There is an omitted clause in the false adage about "except after C" he was presumably disproving.

The full version is "I before E, except after C, or when sounding as A, as in 'neighbour' or 'weigh'."

But it should really be "I before E, except after C, or when sounding as A, as in 'neighbour' or 'weigh', or in several other random cases."