It seems like the only software we ever talk about is Steam, Go, and Firefox... so here's Steam

• @gu3st said:

The whole "Blink" thing is them stopping from giving back to the Webkit core so they can both make proprietary additions to the browser (which they do already with Native Client, and their Push notification system, etcera).

So? It's permitted by the license and why should Google have to work with FOSStards to implement features they want? Chromium will probably still be open source, right? The only difference is they won't have to deal with the Webkit dipshits? Good riddance.

• @Ben L. said:

I'm glad there's no mention of a direct competitor to Google's products getting help from Google.

Well, Search is the product, not Chrome. I'm sure they'd prefer people use Chrome, since it gives them even more Internets Power, but they make money just from having searches go through them. That's why they give money to Mozilla--it's not from the kindness of their heart, nor should it be.

• One thing that pisses me off with Steam is that every now and then, a game is available for free for a certain period of time and listed in your games library (With the period of time next to it). And it's not clearly communicated that I get the full version of a game for free for some time to demo.

Like Blakey, my Games Library is not the ideal place to put this information. There's a lot of stuff there, and I don't really trust it to begin with (Special shout out to Heroes of Might and Magic 6. While the rest of the series is known as "Heroes of Might and Magic X" in Steam, number 6 decided to go with "Might and Magic 6", fucking up everyones alphabet sort).

If I were interested in this information, I might want to know about it. How about an email? I'm sure there's a method of notifying us already in place, but I kill all Steam popups and browse the Front Page manually because the popup news omits quite a few games, and the Front Page doesn't seem to show free weekend-games. In the end I miss most of them, or find out 6 hours before they expire.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:
    I'm glad there's no mention of a direct competitor to Google's products getting help from Google.

Well, Search is the product, not Chrome. I'm sure they'd prefer people use Chrome, since it gives them even more Internets Power, but they make money just from having searches go through them. That's why they give money to Mozilla--it's not from the kindness of their heart, nor should it be.

Chrome looks like a product to me

• @Adanine said:

(Special shout out to Heroes of
    Might and Magic 6. While the rest of the series is known as "Heroes of
    Might and Magic X" in Steam, number 6 decided to go with "Might and
    Magic 6", fucking up everyones alphabet sort).

Yes and original Doom is listed as "The Ultimate Doom", putting it in the U's where it's fucking impossible to find. (Although at least they don't fucking alphabetize all the games starting with "the" to the T's. So they have that right at least.)

Also: don't buy Might and Magic Heroes 6 whatever you do. Shit game from a shit company. Fuck Ubisoft.

@Adanine said:

If I were
    interested in this information, I might want to know about it.

I get it in my RSS feeds. But of course once Google Reader shuts down, God knows. That's the exact thing RSS was designed to do. Sigh.

• @Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Ben L. said:

Chrome looks like a product to me

Chrome isn't what makes them money, though. It's just a freebie they use to get what they really want; like when you buy a few drinks for some barfly trollop and slip a few roofies in there. You're not whipping out your Discover card just to buy her some free tequila sunrises, and Google isn't pissing away money on Chrome just to give you a free browser.

Giving money to Mozilla is clearly a way to keep themselves as the default search engine. I'm sure it's profitable for them, or else they'd tell Mozilla go to fuck themselves. The fact you can't see this and think Google is some odd kind of charity speaks volumes about your naivete.

• @blakeyrat said:

Also: don't buy Might and Magic Heroes 6 whatever you do. Shit game from a shit company. Fuck Ubisoft.
    All someone ever needed to do to prevent me from buying that game was let me know you can't have Simultanious Turns in multiplayer anymore (unlike the last 5 in the damn series), so you need to wait anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes for each player's turn to end before you can play your turn. Also, while most of the games in the HOMAM series can be described as "the last one, but with better graphics, identicle gameplay, and slightly less races/creatures", number 6 really cut a lot from its predecessors and didn't offer anything new...

I don't actually hate always-on DRM, but I usually do hate the implementation of it. In this case, me and a friend playing MaM6 (Versing bots) would always have a connection problem 8-12 turns of the game, and crash out to the main menu with no warning/time period. Even fucking Warcraft 3 had a 45 second buffer when a player's connection had dropped, and that's more then a decade old now. It's hard to fuck up that badly, but it's not a general Ubisoft issue. I had no connection problems at all with any Anno 2070 (also Ubisoft/UPlay) multiplayer games I played with friends, and a couple of hours of Anno 2070 is considered a 'short' game. I hear it did have a shittly launch though, but I wasn't around for that.

Still, Anno 2070 is a terrific game IMO, and I will never completely lose faith in Ubisoft because of it. They do seem to be testing me on that, however.

• @Salamander said:

The game overlay web browser is worse than IE6

Ah, I remember one day when the interactive Google doodle crashed the browser... and since virtually everyone has google.com as the default homepage, the browser was unusable for 24 hours.

Of course they fixed it after a few days, but it's not like it hadn't fixed itself in one day anyways.

• @Adanine said:

Anno 2070 is a terrific game IMO

I'm boycotting it because of its ridiculous "NO CHANGEY YO COMPOOTER LOL"  DRM.

Fuck Ubisoft

Hey, I just reinstalled ACII and am playing it again because it's so good. It also showed me that the Uplay client is just a paper-thin wrapper around its games, unlike Steam. It doesn't manage anything about the game files and it's just a downloader and launcher of some setup package.

@Adanine said:

identicle

That's a protrusion that looks the same, or, your head.

• @blakeyrat said:

Fuck Ubisoft.
    Your mileage varies, apparently, but most of my favorite games come from Ubisoft: the AssCreed series, the Prince of Persia series (specially Sands of Time, but even 2008 wasn't that bad), Beyond Good & Evil, Myst III ...

• @dhromed said:

It also showed me that the Uplay client is just a paper-thin wrapper around its games, unlike Steam.
    If I launch UPlay manually, I don't have access to any games. It has me logged in, with the correct Uplay points displayed, but no games are displayed in the "My Game" section.

If I launch a game via steam, it launches Uplay and I get to see all my other games in the "My Game" section. This behaviour bothers and irritates me :(.

@dhromed said:

That's a protrusion that looks the same, or, your head.
    Or notepad doesn't have an auto-suggest feature :(.

• @Adanine said:

If I launch UPlay manually, I don't have access to any games.

No repro.

I downloaded and installed AC2 with a cold launch of Uplay, whereupon it displayed the game with a DOWNLOAD button.

• @Zecc said:

Your mileage varies, apparently, but most of my favorite games come from Ubisoft: the AssCreed series, the Prince of Persia series (specially Sands of Time, but even 2008 wasn't that bad), Beyond Good & Evil, Myst III ...

Lies. Riven was the best Myst game, and that was published by Brøderbund (under the name Red Orb).

• @MiffTheFox said:

Riven was the best Myst game, and that was published by Brøderbund (under the name Red Orb).
    I agree, though to this date I still don't know where to find one the animals for that one puzzle. I don't recall enough of the puzzle to say what the animal was, but I remember I had established only four of the five animals and had to brute force the last one.

I've recently (as in, last year) replayed Myst III just because of Amateria. That ending...

Hmm.. I may dig up Riven one of these days, after I'm done with the games already in my playlist.

Pre-post edit: seriously? This is how you discovered the last animal. Waay too subtle.

• @Zecc said:

seriously? This is how you discovered the last animal. Waay too subtle.

That's not an animal, it's a FUPA and a dick.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Riven was the best Myst game, and that was published by Brøderbund (under the name Red Orb).
    And when Red Orb and Brøderbund went belly-up, the guys that bought them from The Learning Company were Ubisoft, who (still!) publish Myst and Riven to this day.

• As far as I can tell, the uplay installed with steam games is some kind of mutant version that is designed to allow game launching via steam. Hence why it behaves oddly when used separately.

• @DescentJS said:

As far as I can tell, the uplay installed with steam games is some kind of mutant version that is designed to allow game launching via steam. Hence why it behaves oddly when used separately.

As if it didn't behave oddly on its own.

But yeah, my Ubisoft hatred isn't driven by game quality (in fact, Rayman Origins is the best Vita game right now), it's driven by my anger at their incompentent DRM that they've crammed in games in the last 2-3 years. And, even worse, when EVERY OTHER GAME PUBLISHER is backing-away from DRM and other customer-hostile technologies, Ubisoft is DOUBLING-DOWN on them. (Even EA is backing off! EVEN EA!!!)

Also my copy of Might and Magic Heroes 6 literally didn't run for a solid month because they fucked up the latest patch so fucking badly.

• Considered Harmful

Ubisoft publishes good games, and for that reason I'll remain a customer even if they treat me like dirty thieving scum.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Adanine said:

Like Blakey, my Games Library is not the ideal place to put this information. There's a lot of stuff there, and I don't really trust it to begin with (Special shout out to Heroes of Might and Magic 6. While the rest of the series is known as "Heroes of Might and Magic X" in Steam, number 6 decided to go with "Might and Magic 6", fucking up everyones alphabet sort).

Actually, IIRC it's "Might and Magic Heroes 6," although that may not be how it shows up in the library.  Calling it Might and Magic 6 is kind of dumb, since there's already been one of those since 1998.

@blakeyrat said:

@Adanine said:
    (Special shout out to Heroes of Might and Magic 6. While the rest of the series is known as "Heroes of Might and Magic X" in Steam, number 6 decided to go with "Might and Magic 6", fucking up everyones alphabet sort).

Yes and original Doom is listed as "The Ultimate Doom", putting it in the U's where it's fucking impossible to find. (Although at least they don't fucking alphabetize all the games starting with "the" to the T's. So they have that right at least.)

@Adanine said:

If I were
    interested in this information, I might want to know about it.

I get it in my RSS feeds. But of course once Google Reader shuts down, God knows. That's the exact thing RSS was designed to do. Sigh.

Thanks for the warning.  I bought all the first 5, although I think the game probably peaked around 3.

• @joe.edwards said:

Ubisoft publishes good games, and for that reason I'll remain a customer even if they treat me like dirty thieving scum.

I don't care if my dealer takes my money and hits me in the face cuz the crack is so good mmm so goooodd 

@joe.edwards said:

"Please, sir, may I have some more beatings?"

• Considered Harmful

Well, they make the games I want to play, so my options are 1) don't play their games, 2) give them money anyway, and 3) pirate the games.

I'm not doing (1), so (2) is the only viable option, because (3) would be deliciously ironic considering that the anti-piracy mechanisms are the reason (2) seems like a bad idea.

Also, yes, the crack is mmm so goooodd.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Google keeps giving Mozilla cement mixers full of cash anyways. They just need to cut them off so Firefox will finally die and Blink will reign supreme as the One True Engine.

Except I prefer IE's engine. It has always made me write better code, because it kicks you in the nuts if you assume anything.

•  @lucas said:

Except I prefer IE's engine.

There's an odd discrepancy in how JS is interpreted when you write this code:

{
       prop1: "value",
       prop2: "value",
       prop3: "value",
    }

Note the final comma. IE it's a syntax error. Firefox, it's perfectly fine.

Afterthought Edit:

Pasting this into browser's consoles, and being on Win8/IE10, I can only repro the syntax error in IE7-mode. So I guess this is allowed syntax? It doesn't make sense, though.

• That code fails in IE7 (if I remember correctly).

Tbh while it is correct, putting a comma at the end of your object literal is pretty odd, reading that I would think the author made a typo.

• @lucas said:

That code fails in IE7 (if I remember correctly).

Tbh while it is correct, putting a comma at the end of your object literal is pretty odd, reading that I would think the author made a typo.

IMO having that semicolon missing looks weird and is harder to maintain if you ever need to add things to the object.

• @lucas said:

Tbh while it is correct, putting a comma at the end of your object literal is pretty odd

Yeah, I don't see any case where a non-item would help me with my code.

Array(,,,,) may sometimes make sense under generated code circumstances, but object literals?!

• @Ben L. said:

IMO having that semicolon missing looks weird and is harder to maintain if you ever need to add things to the object.

Or if you have to minify your code and your username is @fat.

• @dhromed said:

@Ben L. said:

Or if you have to minify your code and your username is @fat.

Maybe that's why my brain typed semicolon instead of comma. I have no clue.

• @dhromed said:

@lucas said:

Tbh while it is correct, putting a comma at the end of your object literal is pretty odd

Array(,,,,) may sometimes make sense under generated code circumstances, but object literals?!

I am not sure if any other langauges apart from C# use the same syntax, but it just doesn't look right.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

@lucas said:

It can be useful if, for whatever reason, you decide to reorder things, since each item always has a comma after it. Then you can just cut and paste. It's not a big deal, but there you go.

•  I guess that's a super good reason?

• @dhromed said:

Note the final comma. IE it's a syntax error. Firefox, it's perfectly fine.

A trailing comma in a object literal is not permitted in ES3, but only IE implements that part of the spec correctly. In ES5 trailing commas are allowed.

• @morbiuswilters said:

only IE implements that part of the spec correctly.

Correction: Only IE implements the (broken) ES3 spec. All other browsers use the (much better) ES5 spec.

• @Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    only IE implements that part of the spec correctly.

Correction: Only IE implements the (broken) ES3 spec. All other browsers use the (much better) ES5 spec.

What? No. ES5 didn't even come out until a couple of years ago, which is why IE9 was the first IE to implement it. Prior to that, browsers used ES3, and IE was the only major one who implemented the "no-trailing-commas" part of the spec correctly.

Also, I don't think "no-trailing-commas" would make ES3 "broken". Regardless, you really don't seem to know what the fuck you're talking about, and you're just engaging in retarded, knee-jerk trolling of the Slashdot variety..

• @boomzilla said:

It can be useful if, for whatever reason, you decide to reorder things, since each item always has a comma after it. Then you can just cut and paste. It's not a big deal, but there you go.

I always put mine in alphabetical order so I rarely have to re-order.

• @blakeyrat said:

Also my copy of Might and Magic Heroes 6 literally didn't run for a solid month because they fucked up the latest patch so fucking badly.

I heard about that patch, but when I bought it in a steam sale recently, downloaded and installed... I couldn't play any of the skirmishes. None of the content besides the Campaign was unlocked, and who the fuck plays the campaign for HOMAM games? 3 unit types for a two hour mission, then I get to unlock another unit type?! Sign me up(!).

Whenever I tried to select a map for a skirmish game, I'd get "You required 'Heroes of Might and Magic VI' to play this skirmish" (or the DLC pack the map is in).

To their credit, the customer service/online ticket submission was easy to use and they were quick to resolve the issue without any further information (Except I never got an email asking me to confirm or even a ticket resolution notice), but the company with the best Customer Service is the one where you barely have to use it, not when it's freaking needed before you can play the damn game.

• @Adanine said:

To their credit, the customer service/online ticket submission was easy to use

Liar. Their online ticket submission is terrible, and about 50% of the time it fails with a tiny easy-to-miss error message for literally no reason. If you didn't experience this lovely "bug", you were lucky. Oh it also erases your newlines, so your nicely-formatted support emails become formless textlumps.

@Adanine said:

and they were quick to resolve the issue without any further information

Complete bullshit. They sat on my request for a full 5 business days (2 day SLA LOL) then copied-and-pasted a FAQ page I'd sent THEM (as proof I'd already tried those steps). Another 5 days passed before I was able to get any response at all. In fact the ONLY thing that got my issue resolved was:

1) Nagging a forum admin to poke and prod the useless support morons to actually do their fucking jobs, and

2) The fact that my issue actually affected thousands of people (unbeknownst to me, since the "known issues" post only mentioned issues with the latest DLC and not the original game) and was fixed with a patch 3 weeks after I entered the ticket, no thanks to the useless dumbshits manning their support site.

They offered me a 10% off coupon for Uplay in exchange for BREAKING THEIR FUCKING GAME FOR A MONTH. Oh gee thanks, the first thing I want to do after Ubisoft DRM breaks my fucking game is go on Ubisoft's shitty store and buy MORE DRM!! SOCK IT TO ME!!!

Oh and BTW, number 2 above? Yes. Literally everybody who bought the game on Steam when it came out and *did not* buy the DLC? Their copies were fucked. For over a month. How is it even possible to fuck up that badly? Did they have to hire expensive fuck up experts to give advice? Jesus.

Look, ok, my post is unfair: you had a good Ubisoft support experience. Good on you. That means their support is only useless and retarded for 99.9% of their customers. Whee.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Adanine said:
    To their credit, the customer service/online ticket submission was easy to use

Liar. Their online ticket submission is terrible, and about 50% of the time it fails with a tiny easy-to-miss error message for literally no reason. If you didn't experience this lovely "bug", you were lucky. Oh it also erases your newlines, so your nicely-formatted support emails become formless textlumps.

Perhaps I should rephrase: It was better then most. I bought it only recently, not anywhere near the patch for the new DLC/Expansion (It's patched in whether you buy it or not, ugh), so I assume the error message relates to the user-load at the time?

The ticket support software I work with also nukes anything down to plain text, taking away basic ascii characters as well. It leaves new lines though, so it's not as bad. But bad software is (usually) cheap, and no one wants to put more money then is "Necessary" into support.

As for the support staff, I feel sorry for the bastards during that patch. They're handling thousands of angry tickets for an issue that's system-wide and the only tools they have to deal with the ravenous horde of customers are three copy/paste email templates and changing the tickets status to "Pending". Then they pick up their shovels and hachets and proceed to try to break down the barricade development put up to get any answers, or use ladders or office chairs as boats to cross the moat Management installed to protect themselves and ask for approval to change individual user accounts and grant them access to the game.

That's assuming half the support department wasn't drafted into QA Testing after the last team inexplicably hanged themselves after the drama started.